Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coronavirus and the USA

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Just short of 72k new cases yesterday and Disney World is opening up its doors today....

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sadly for the USA and all the other countries whose leaders are being all gung-ho about the pandemic, they're only doing their people a serious disservice :down:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1281853917979123713[/TWEET]

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hopkins is a day behind but their data are the gold standard. As noted above the US reports over 60,000 new cases in a day for the frst time. This upward trend is obviously the result in an increase in testing, which is the finest testing in the world.

View attachment 125969

The only graph/metric Trump cares about is the Dow Jones. Making America Great Again, apparently.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9416550 said:
A nationwide daily record for Florida today - 15,299 positive results. Previous highs were 11,694 last week in California and 11,571 in New York at the peak of their outbreak in mid April.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...ronavirus-cases-florida-record-daily-total-us

Wow. And on the same day they reopened Disney World. To put this into context, at the apex of our outbreak we were recording around 5,000 daily cases. So this is 3x the cases with a third of the population - an infection rate 9x higher than we experienced at our peak.

That's right, at our peak. Mid-April, a point in time when it was borderline uncouth to go for a walk in the park. From here, the numbers were in decline. They were in decline because we were at home. In Florida, they are steeply on their way up - as I alluded to above, they've just re-opened Disney World. So yeah, they're already at 9x the point at which we were at our lowest ebb, and ascending at pace. Given the exponential nature of this virus, and the apparent will of the American people to get on with life as they know it, how long before things are 100x worse than we had it in Florida? I'm sure there's a mathematical model that could work this out, but seriously - a month, or less?

I remember watching 9/11 with a sense of absolute horror and sorrow for the unfortunate souls involved - I'm starting to feel those same emotions once again. Only this time, this didn't creep up unnanounced on some sleepy, Tuesday morning - there have been literally months to prepare and respond. This is very different, blame has to filter from national government right through to the people themselves (not all, but enough to be significant) - however the results are going to be far, far more catastrophic. I'd go so far as making the grim prediction that within weeks we'll see more lives lost to Covid-19 in America in a single day than we saw in New York, Washington DC and Pensylvania that fateful day almost 20 years ago.

Seriously, how mad a concept is that?

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/13/30-year-old-dies-covid-party-texas

“Just before the patient died, they looked at their nurse and said ‘I think I made a mistake, I thought this was a hoax, but it’s not,’” said Dr Jane Appleby, the chief medical officer at Methodist hospital in San Antonio.

A “Covid party” is a gathering held by somebody diagnosed with coronavirus to see if the virus is real and to see if anyone gets infected, she explained.

:nono:

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Trump is planning on hanging Fauci out to dry - blaming him for the rise in infections because he won't parrot the administrations propaganda.

Typical Trump - always looking for some one else to blame for his failings.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Trump is planning on hanging Fauci out to dry - blaming him for the rise in infections because he won't parrot the administrations propaganda.

Typical Trump - always looking for some one else to blame for his failings.

The disloyal backstabber has been opening bitching about Dr Fauci for a while now.

Patently angry because the scientist ..... stuck to the science.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Wow. And on the same day they reopened Disney World. To put this into context, at the apex of our outbreak we were recording around 5,000 daily cases. So this is 3x the cases with a third of the population - an infection rate 9x higher than we experienced at our peak.

That's right, at our peak. Mid-April, a point in time when it was borderline uncouth to go for a walk in the park. From here, the numbers were in decline. They were in decline because we were at home. In Florida, they are steeply on their way up - as I alluded to above, they've just re-opened Disney World. So yeah, they're already at 9x the point at which we were at our lowest ebb, and ascending at pace. Given the exponential nature of this virus, and the apparent will of the American people to get on with life as they know it, how long before things are 100x worse than we had it in Florida? I'm sure there's a mathematical model that could work this out, but seriously - a month, or less?

I remember watching 9/11 with a sense of absolute horror and sorrow for the unfortunate souls involved - I'm starting to feel those same emotions once again. Only this time, this didn't creep up unnanounced on some sleepy, Tuesday morning - there have been literally months to prepare and respond. This is very different, blame has to filter from national government right through to the people themselves (not all, but enough to be significant) - however the results are going to be far, far more catastrophic. I'd go so far as making the grim prediction that within weeks we'll see more lives lost to Covid-19 in America in a single day than we saw in New York, Washington DC and Pensylvania that fateful day almost 20 years ago.

Seriously, how mad a concept is that?

It's a combination of poor leadership at the very top, we all know who ! , variable leadership at city and State level, mixed messaging about control of the spread and the politicisation of the virus. It's genuinely sad but really not surprising at all. The case numbers were ticking up day after day as Trump absolved himself of any attempt to try to contain it. How long ago was he saying " We are at War " etc etc ? well, that didn't last long, he fled the battlefield on his heel spurs as usual. The numbers of fatalities will rise as the huge numbers rack up and hospitals are overwhelmed.

Tragic.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
California essentially closing down again.

[tweet]1282752861835649024[/tweet]

Thank **** for that, was hoping it was coming. Too many people that just don't give a shit to let people make choices for themselves! The recent surge numbers are very, very bad here and I don't even think we've got to the post July 4th holiday surge (/extra surge?) yet...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
California essentially closing down again.

[tweet]1282752861835649024[/tweet]

Good.

Seems to me the US opened up wayyyy too early in the first place, or barely shut down at all. Now here's hoping they do it properly.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Obviously not dodgy in the slightest...

Hospital data on coronavirus patients will now be rerouted to the Trump administration instead of first being sent to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Department of Health and Human Services confirmed to CNN on Tuesday.

The move could make data less transparent to the public at a time when the administration is downplaying the spread of the pandemic, and threatens to undermine public confidence that medical data is being presented free of political interference.

Michael Caputo, the assistant secretary for public affairs at the department, confirmed the change first reported by The New York Times earlier in the day, saying in a statement that the "new faster and complete data system is what our nation needs to defeat the coronavirus and the CDC, an operating division of HHS, will certainly participate in this streamlined all-of-government response. They will simply no longer control it."

The Times said hospitals are to begin reporting the data to HHS today, noting also that the "database that will receive new information is not open to the public, which could affect the work of scores of researchers, modelers and health officials who rely on C.D.C. data to make projections and crucial decisions."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here