Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Incident In Glasgow

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Three people stabbed to death, armed police responded and have shot dead the suspect.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-53195939

I would have posted this in the bear pit, but figured it would be ignored there and someone would start a thread here on the main board, then it would turn nasty and get moved there anyway.

I was thinking exactly the same......decided not to bother.........what do you reckon, maybe 20 posts before it moves ? :shrug:

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Don't know what to make of this. My wife, son and I had a random stay at the hotel in question last August when we had to pay an emergency visit to the passport office up there. The lobby area on the ground floor isn't particularly big; it really didn't strike me as an obvious target for a terror attack.

Whatever's gone on, it sounds pretty serious. RIP.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
2020 is horrible.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Whether this is political, religious or some other random reason, the tragedy is the same. RIP to the victims whatever the motivation behind this awful event.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Don't know what to make of this. My wife, son and I had a random stay at the hotel in question last August when we had to pay an emergency visit to the passport office up there. The lobby area on the ground floor isn't particularly big; it really didn't strike me as an obvious target for a terror attack.

obvious target,just don't think it matters to any attacker now just strike out anywhere. Sad times even more so to those directly affected. :down:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Comments on twitter suggesting the hotel is currently being used to house refugees/asylum seekers (*awaits influx of the Bear Pit Crew*)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Comments on twitter suggesting the hotel is currently being used to house refugees/asylum seekers (*awaits influx of the Bear Pit Crew*)

That's what the BBC rolling report now says.

Horrible incident, whoever it was. RIP.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
bbc.JPG

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Not a terrorist attack.

I don’t know if this has been stated by the police or just your opinion, but this was my initial reaction. As I said earlier in the thread I stayed there last year, and I remember the hotel really well due to the unique circumstances in which we found ourselves there.

Long story short, we’d messed up and realised at the last moment that our son didn’t have enough time left on his passport for our holiday in Mexico a few days later, and literally the only solution was to book an emergency passport appointment in Glasgow (the only place with available appointments), drop what we were doing and drive straight up there. The Park Inn happened to be the place we booked to stay the night.

It’s in a nice part of the city centre (Glasgow was in fact a much nicer city than I was expecting it to be) but not close to any points of political significance to the best of my knowledge. It’s just a normal, budget hotel - tall but not particularly big in terms of footprint. The ground floor is relatively small and fragmented - it’s not the sort of place for a ‘spree’. If you assume a terrorist’s objective is to inflict maximum loss of life or make a statement, this isn’t the place. It really isn’t.

As has already been said, the deaths are tragic irrespective of the motive. I’m just not sure about the prevailing mentality that assumes ‘person of certain appearance kills multiple people = terrorism‘.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I don’t know if this has been stated by the police or just your opinion, but this was my initial reaction. As I said earlier in the thread I stayed there last year, and I remember the hotel really well due to the unique circumstances in which we found ourselves there.

Long story short, we’d messed up and realised at the last moment that our son didn’t have enough time left on his passport for our holiday in Mexico a few days later, and literally the only solution was to book an emergency passport appointment in Glasgow (the only place with available appointments), drop what we were doing and drive straight up there. The Park Inn happened to be the place we booked to stay the night.

It’s in a nice part of the city centre (Glasgow was in fact a much nicer city than I was expecting it to be) but not close to any points of political significance to the best of my knowledge. It’s just a normal, budget hotel - tall but not particularly big in terms of footprint. The ground floor is relatively small and fragmented - it’s not the sort of place for a ‘spree’. If you assume a terrorist’s objective is to inflict maximum loss of life or make a statement, this isn’t the place. It really isn’t.

As has already been said, the deaths are tragic irrespective of the motive. I’m just not sure about the prevailing mentality that assumes ‘person of certain appearance kills multiple people = terrorism‘.

Stated by the authorities. I wouldn't decide such a thing based on media reports.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here