Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Mid Season Break

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
For some years I've always felt that local youth football should have a mid-season break and not play in Dec & Jan. There's so little interest now in the youth leagues with fewer teams, and matches, that it'd be very easy to do. This would help to preserve already over used pitches, most of the fixtures in these two months are postponed anyway and it'd be better for the poor parents stood watching little Jonny or Joanna.

Then, with the enforced break we've had recently and the outcomes after the break, albeit under very different circumstances, it got me thinking that maybe the Football League and Premier League could do similar, creating a chance for squads to rest and recuperate and to put a mid-season twist into the equation? I probably wouldn't be suggesting this if I supported Sheff Utd right now?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
For some years I've always felt that local youth football should have a mid-season break and not play in Dec & Jan. There's so little interest now in the youth leagues with fewer teams, and matches, that it'd be very easy to do. This would help to preserve already over used pitches, most of the fixtures in these two months are postponed anyway and it'd be better for the poor parents stood watching little Jonny or Joanna.

Then, with the enforced break we've had recently and the outcomes after the break, albeit under very different circumstances, it got me thinking that maybe the Football League and Premier League could do similar, creating a chance for squads to rest and recuperate and to put a mid-season twist into the equation? I probably wouldn't be suggesting this if I supported Sheff Utd right now?

Trouble is many grass roots football facilities are shared with cricket. Goals etc need to come down generally by end of April for the cricket matches to start. Same reason grassroots youth football doesn’t start until mid September.

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020

How depressing would December and more so January be though if there was no football?? I can enjoy the summer usually because the weather is decent and can get out and enjoy yourself asnd other sports take prominence over thast period (plus every other year there's a major international tournament....but December and January without football???...Yuk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Trouble is many grass roots football facilities are shared with cricket. Goals etc need to come down generally by end of April for the cricket matches to start. Same reason grassroots youth football doesn’t start until mid September.

Youth football in Mid Sussex starts the weekend after the schools go back.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
How depressing would December and more so January be though if there was no football?? I can enjoy the summer usually because the weather is decent and can get out and enjoy yourself asnd other sports take prominence over thast period (plus every other year there's a major international tournament....but December and January without football???...Yuk

This. Imagine Christmas being your only diversion for two months :shootself: :lolol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
I would agree, I have grandchildren that play and if I go and watch it can be bitterly cold for me, but I like to support my grandchildren, and I hope they appreciate me watching.
I see someone mentioned cricket being a problem, but I have noticed, not many people play cricket now. I suppose it takes them away from their PC games for too long.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Yeah I can see the potential upsides to a winter break, but as others say, the best thing about the Christmas/New Year period is the GLUT of football we get to watch.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Not sure about where you are but around here, Arun & Chi Youth FL there are only about 9 to 10 teams per league and a couple of cup comps, ample time in Sep - Nov and Feb - Apr to get the fixtures in.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
My lad has played for Shoreham this last few years, they barely played over winter as all the pitches were under water!

I think a 2 -3 week break over xmas- early Jan should happen everywhere.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
My lad has played for Shoreham this last few years, they barely played over winter as all the pitches were under water!

I think a 2 -3 week break over xmas- early Jan should happen everywhere.
If there was a break as you suggest, what happens when the worst weather hits? Our worst winter weather usually happens mid January through to February. Imagine taking 3 weeks off and then being snowed in for a week with a couple of cancellations.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I see someone mentioned cricket being a problem, but I have noticed, not many people play cricket now. I suppose it takes them away from their PC games for too long.

There's plenty of cricket around. Our club added another XI last season and was set to add another this season, before Covid got in the way. We're rationing space at our nets.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

No. Denmark is doing it like that since they are hell-bent on playing fall-spring instead of spring-fall like the other Nordic leagues. They have a 2 or 2,5 month break from December to February. With that break it sort of feels like two different leagues with two pre-season and too much change between fall and spring.

Most Danes I know who are not FCK supporters would prefer a spring-fall season, which is the superior solution if you want to avoid playing in the winter.

For kids & youth teams it sound more sensible.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not sure about where you are but around here, Arun & Chi Youth FL there are only about 9 to 10 teams per league and a couple of cup comps, ample time in Sep - Nov and Feb - Apr to get the fixtures in.

Mid Sussex and Sussex Sunday Leagues - in recent years never getting all our games in, often playing several double headers, evening games and scrambling around for venues to get final games in if Cricket has started. Your plan is all well and good if no postponements in those periods, but any cup runs and I don’t think you’d get the games in.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
There's plenty of cricket around. Our club added another XI last season and was set to add another this season, before Covid got in the way. We're rationing space at our nets.
Is that youngsters?
It might just be an localised thing.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
My son plays for Hove Park Colts U10´s, and there were no games for almost 2 months over Xmas - no postponements, but a proper winter break. Makes sense to me

Yeah the break is mid December to early Feb isn't it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here