Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Wifi booster advice please

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I'm after a bit of advice from NSC if possible.

We've had an extension built and spent an arm and a leg on a 75in Smart TV to go on the wall in the new extension. Only problem is our wifi box is upstairs in a bedroom as for some reason that's where then only BT phone socket is and the TV doesn't seem to connect to the wifi, presumably because the wifi signal is not strong enough as it's about as far away from the wfi box as is possible in the house.

Is there such a thing as a wifi repeater station/box that i can put downstairs in the living room that will pick up the wifi from upstairs and re-transmit the wifi signal out to the extenstion. I'm sure someone must have had this problem before and come up with a solution.

Any recommendations for what i need to buy, make model etc would be handy. It is important that it needs minimal setting up as i can't do anything too technical.

Cheers!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

We've had an extension built and spent an arm and a leg on a 75in Smart TV to go on the wall in the new extension. Only problem is our wifi box is upstairs in a bedroom as for some reason that's where then only BT phone socket is and the TV doesn't seem to connect to the wifi, presumably because the wifi signal is not strong enough as it's about as far away from the wfi box as is possible in the house.

Is there such a thing as a wifi repeater station/box that i can put downstairs in the living room that will pick up the wifi from upstairs and re-transmit the wifi signal out to the extenstion. I'm sure someone must have had this problem before and come up with a solution.

Any recommendations for what i need to buy, make model etc would be handy. It is important that it needs minimal setting up as i can't do anything too technical.

Cheers!

I got one of these. Absolutely superb - the old ‘extender’ I had gave me about 2mb in the kitchen, with one of these in the kitchen I’m getting 25mb at the end of the garden. One box is wired into the main router, one is in the kitchen and one is upstairs - junior has his xbox wired to the one upstairs and says the difference between that and the wifi is enormous. There is quite a range - need to check what best suits your internet service - but highly recommended. Dead easy to set up too.

Tenda Nova MW3-3 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System; Get Rid of Wi-Fi Dead Zones; 3500sq² Wi-Fi Coverage, Two Fast Ethernet Ports, App Control, Parental Controls, Easy Set Up, Pre Configured (Pack of 3) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CTKHRG8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_Var9EbBVAPBQM

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

Cheers!

Do you have your broadband with BT ?

If so they guarantee Wi-fi in every room and supplied me with Wi-fi extenders free as I was getting no signal in a back room

Have a look here if so

https://www.bt.com/broadband/complete-wifi

Jul 7, 2003
I got one of these. Absolutely superb - the old ‘extender’ I had gave me about 2mb in the kitchen, with one of these in the kitchen I’m getting 25mb at the end of the garden. One box is wired into the main router, one is in the kitchen and one is upstairs - junior has his xbox wired to the one upstairs and says the difference between that and the wifi is enormous. There is quite a range - need to check what best suits your internet service - but highly recommended. Dead easy to set up too.

Tenda Nova MW3-3 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System; Get Rid of Wi-Fi Dead Zones; 3500sq² Wi-Fi Coverage, Two Fast Ethernet Ports, App Control, Parental Controls, Easy Set Up, Pre Configured (Pack of 3) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CTKHRG8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_Var9EbBVAPBQM

I recently got the MW6-3 version of this. Took a longer to get the stuff out of the packaging than it did to get working. Has significantly increased upload and download speeds at the other end of the house and also allows me to join video conferences in the garden as well.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

This - I bought one after you posted about it on another thread. Then spent the next three weeks wondering why I’d put up with shite WiFi for the last ten years!

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

But does it meet the Icke covid safety test?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
It's fine as long as you wear a tinfoil hat when within 2m of it

Sounds like you should be on commission.......I bought a set for my old man for Fathers Day based on your recommendation previously as I was fed up going round fixing his Wifi after he tried to "fix" it by his own messing around spending a fortune on things he didn't need.

Gave it to him and said I'd come round and set it up over the weekend. He text me the next morning to say he had done it......I'm not confident he's done it correctly but he tells me its working and working well so we'll see. However OP take note they must be pretty straight forward to setup if my old man can do it.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
NETGEAR Wi-Fi Booster Range Extender EX3700 - Coverage Up-to 1000 sq ft and 15 Devices with AC750 Dual Band Wireless Signal Repeater (Up-to 750 Mbps) and Compact Wall Plug Design with UK Plug https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00XYEPLXU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_8TB9EbE3KXFZ4

So many to choose from but this is ace.

This sort of thing would have been a recommendation a few years ago, but nowadays the Mesh WiFi systems (such as the Tenda Nova sets mentioned above) are a much better option, as they don't effectively halve the bandwidth like "extenders" do.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I got one of these - moved house, connected it up to the new internet and bizarrely the password (that comes with it) literally doesn’t work now. Really odd and annoying - tried everything.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This sort of thing would have been a recommendation a few years ago, but nowadays the Mesh WiFi systems (such as the Tenda Nova sets mentioned above) are a much better option, as they don't effectively halve the bandwidth like "extenders" do.

This - I swapped out an extender for the Tenda Nova setup - no comparison really.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here