Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Fury doubts he will ever fight AJ

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Despite the proposed 2 fight deal.

I hope if they do fight its sooner rather than later, boxing politics robbed us of a Lewis vs Tyson contest in the 1990's and by the time they fought in 2002 they were both well past their prime.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not picked for this either.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Boxing needs an overhaul with just one belt per weight class and just one governing authority picking who fights who on a ranking based system. Then we don't get boxers dodging each other to preserve status and we get to see the likes of Mayweather vs Pacman, Tyson vs Lewis etc etc in their primes rather than looking for a payday.

No wonder the likes of UFC are overtaking boxing in popularity when promoters are running the show.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
The "promoter" of the fights is a drug dealer who hired a Twitter bot army to go around and try tell the world how great he was. Doomed from the off.

Lovely person even by the standards of boxing promoters.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-ne...planned-life-as-boxing-promoter-39281504.html

Not a surprise at all, boxing has a long history of connections with organised crime. Daniel Kinahan has been involved for years and a good friend of Tysons uncle and ex trainer Peter who is also a notorious convicted drug dealer.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Boxing needs an overhaul with just one belt per weight class and just one governing authority picking who fights who on a ranking based system. Then we don't get boxers dodging each other to preserve status and we get to see the likes of Mayweather vs Pacman, Tyson vs Lewis etc etc in their primes rather than looking for a payday.

No wonder the likes of UFC are overtaking boxing in popularity when promoters are running the show.

Very valid points about boxing but for pretty much the same seasons I think the UFC which is the most high profile MMA has actually lost it's advantage over boxing. Before the Fertitta brothers sold the businesses a lot of the match ups made good sense. But with Dana White now like some mad dictator it's just all about the fights that make the most PPV cash. For me the decline began with all the hype and eggs in one basket with McGregor and Rousey. It rode that train lovely until Rousey was exposed as being very one dimensional and with poor boxing skills. Avoid the take down and arm bar and she had nothing else. Went off to pantomime that is WWE. McGregor is a very talented fighter but perhaps more talented with the self publicity and trash talking that admittedly does get peoples attention. Aside from his antics outside of the octagon in how many sports does Jon Jones keep getting chances when you are a caught doping? The simple truth is that even without the drugs he is an incredible fighter and generates the dollars. I used to be mad for the UFC but now I just wistfully look back at the days of Randy Couture, Georges St Pierre, Anderson Silva, Matt Hughes and Royce Gracie.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Very valid points about boxing but for pretty much the same seasons I think the UFC which is the most high profile MMA has actually lost it's advantage over boxing. Before the Fertitta brothers sold the businesses a lot of the match ups made good sense. But with Dana White now like some mad dictator it's just all about the fights that make the most PPV cash. For me the decline began with all the hype and eggs in one basket with McGregor and Rousey. It rode that train lovely until Rousey was exposed as being very one dimensional and with poor boxing skills. Avoid the take down and arm bar and she had nothing else. Went off to pantomime that is WWE. McGregor is a very talented fighter but perhaps more talented with the self publicity and trash talking that admittedly does get peoples attention. Aside from his antics outside of the octagon in how many sports does Jon Jones keep getting chances when you are a caught doping? The simple truth is that even without the drugs he is an incredible fighter and generates the dollars. I used to be mad for the UFC but now I just wistfully look back at the days of Randy Couture, Georges St Pierre, Anderson Silva, Matt Hughes and Royce Gracie.

You clearly know far more about UFC than I do! I loosely follow it and saw from the early McGregor days it was becoming very WWE, I thought they still had some kind of format to fight matching though. Oh well!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It rode that train lovely until Rousey was exposed as being very one dimensional and with poor boxing skills. Avoid the take down and arm bar and she had nothing else.

:nono:

Nothing else?

Attachments

• 90D088D3-9E9C-44A0-A4A0-593FCCFEFE43.jpeg
    90D088D3-9E9C-44A0-A4A0-593FCCFEFE43.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 143

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I had a row with a cabbie in Vegas in 2007, who said in 10 years UFC would be bigger than Boxing globally, when he finally dropped us at Hooters, we told him was talking bollocks and didn't tip him.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I had a row with a cabbie in Vegas in 2007, who said in 10 years UFC would be bigger than Boxing globally, when he finally dropped us at Hooters, we told him was talking bollocks and didn't tip him.

Not bigger but perhaps with a much higher profile. As per my earlier post it's popularity has stalled due to chasing the PPV dollar too hard and those who follow the sport know it. A full appreciation of MMA also requires a little more effort as proper wrestling and jujitsu can look a bit of a bundle unless you know what you should be looking for.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

And just to emphasise own points :

https://www.essentiallysports.com/u...es-a-bizarre-claim-about-khabib-nurmagomedov/

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Not bigger but perhaps with a much higher profile. As per my earlier post it's popularity has stalled due to chasing the PPV dollar too hard and those who follow the sport know it. A full appreciation of MMA also requires a little more effort as proper wrestling and jujitsu can look a bit of a bundle unless you know what you should be looking for.

Micky how would Mike Tyson have faired in UFC, say 10 years ago?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Micky how would Mike Tyson have faired in UFC, say 10 years ago?

He would have a punchers chance and more so if they matched him up with an MMA fighter whose primary skill was striking. However, that's where it gets complicated. The key to a good MMA fighter is being well rounded in all the skills, adapting to an opponent and taking the fight to where you want it to go. Ultimately, the sensible MMA fighter would not attempt to box Tyson but would simply cut down the distance and using wrestling, judo or jujitsu skills and then take him to the ground. That would nullify Tyson's boxing skills and he would be stopped by TKO or more likely submitted.

Other things to consider would be the much lighter gloves in MMA which can do more damage and cause cuts very easily. Throwing punches on a sprung canvas is also very different if you have boxing boots on or whether you are barefoot as in MMA. If Tyson threw punches precisely as he would in boxing his biggest risk would be missing and being off balance thereby risking him being taken down to the mat or being pushed up to the cage. Tyson would need to know how to use his elbows and be able to throw punches from his back and whilst on the ground to an opponents body.

Of course big bad Bobby Codner and Doug Rougvie would have the lot of them! :)

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Tyson's height would also make him more vulnerable to head-kicks too ...

Absolutely, imagine the now retired Mirko Cro Cop and his lightning- quick left high kick, once famously described as "right leg, hospital; left leg, cemetery!

Never mind in the ring used in PRIDE events the confines of an octagon would not be good for Tyson.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here