Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which first team players would you let go at the end of the season?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I'd let them all go on holiday.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
controversial, id cash in on Gross. probably best technical player but just too slow to suit the style of play.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Assuming we stay up - I would let these great servants go. We have to move forward ...

Murray , Stephens , AJ, March , Schelleto

Duffy, Steele, Kayal, Montoya, Groß, March, Crofts, Andone.

Out of those there is no chance of them letting Stephens, Duffy, Dunk or March go. All core squad players. And hasn't Murray already signed for next season?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
And hasn't Murray already signed for next season?

I was going to say that.

Next season has changed already in that it will start later, may be concentrated with more games in shorter periods and is likely, unfortunately, to be affected by a second covid wave when we get to mid-winter. Therefore I think we will need a far deeper squad than we would have and anyone going will need an almost instant replacement. We can't go in short handed.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Only if we find better replacements from buying or from the development squad:

Muzza and Stephens - both typed with a heavy heart. Muzza to become an Albion coach.
Gross - has notably declined over the three seasons, sometimes I don’t even notice him playing.

Then, should Schelotto, Kayal and Montoya move on, it would make sense.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Wiki says 27 players in 1st team squad and 13 on loan. There is bound to be activity with (most) out of contract players leaving.

Most high profile departure will be Shane Duffy - who at 28 will want first team football and would improve many PL defences (Everton? Arsenal?)

Izquierdo will probably retire or have contract cancelled by mutual consent.

Potter and Ashworth will continue to drive down the average age of the squad and try to pick up some young England gems - hope we go all in for Tammy A..

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
1Mathew Ryan (G) - Keep
23Jason Steele (G) - Bye Bye
27David Button (G) - Bye Bye
2Tariq Lamptey (D) - Keep
4Shane Duffy (D) - See ya
5Lewis Dunk (D) - Keep
15Adam Webster (D) - Keep
21Ezequiel Schelotto (D) - Arrivederci
22Martin Montoya (D) - Cheerio
30Bernardo (D) - Keep
33Dan Burn (D) - Keep
52Jordan Davies (D) - ?
53Warren O'Hora (D) - ?
58Hayden Roberts (D) - ?
6Dale Stephens (M) - So Long and thanks
8Yves Bissouma (M) - Keep
10Alexis Mac Allister (M) - Keep
13Pascal Gross (M) - goodbye
18Aaron Mooy (M) - Keep
20Solly March (M) - Keep
24Davy Propper (M) - Keep
25Beram Kayal (M) - Bye Bye
39Soufyan Ahannach (M) - ?
45Taylor Richards (M) - ?
48Andrew Crofts (M) - Too Old off ya go
50Alex Cochrane (M) - ?
51Archie Davies (M) - ?
55Peter Gwargis (M) - ?
60Ryan Longman (M) - ?
71Jack Spong (M) - ?
72Teddy Jenks (M) - ?
92Todd Miller (M) - ?
7Neal Maupay (F) - Keep
11Leandro Trossard (F) - Keep
16Alireza Jahanbakhsh (F) - Keep
17Glenn Murray (F) - Coach/Player keep
19Jose Heriberto Izquierdo (F) - sadly let go
44Aaron Connolly (F) - Keep
46Steven Alzate (F) - Keep
49Romaric Yapi (F) - ?
56Bojan Radulovic (F) - ?

we obviously have Ben White to come back and keep, the ? I honestly dont know about or the guys currently on loan like the two at St Pauli

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
- Walton to replace Steele or Button

- Molumby to replace Kayal

- Striker in as Locadia's loan has been extended by a year.

- Percy Tau work permit to be resolved one way or the other.

- White to replace Balogun.

- Clarke, Gyokeres, Ostigard - no idea ???

- One of Schelotto or Montoya to leave.

- Resolve whether Duffy wants to leave as he doesn't get many minutes now.

- Sing more young players for future seasons.

- Slash the transfer budget to some extent to cover Covid losses.

By the way, I read somewhere that next season is "Project Promotion" at Tony's Union SG - so I wonder if a loan or 2 will head to Belgium.

Last edited:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I assume one of Steele and Button will leave (assuming Walton is second choice, it will probably be Button as he won't want to be third choice).

Defensively, I'd probably keep everyone except Schelotto. But I do think that they might let some of Montoya, Bernardo and Duffy go. Montoya has done well this season but he will probably want a guarantee of playing most games and I'm not sure we'd give it to him. Bernardo seems to have disappeared (which is a shame as I think he's one of our best players). And Duffy will have even more competition next season with White/Clarke returning.

In central midfield, I do wonder if it's time for Stephens to leave. He has been fantastic for us but we may need more mobile options in midfield now and the development of Alzate/Bissouma may limit his game time.

I think the wingers is where we need most change over the summer. I would like to see us sign two more, if budgets allow. I'd probably keep March and Trossard. Then sell Jahanbakhsh, just accepting it's not worked for him here, and let Izquierdo go on loan (if we think there's any chance of him getting fully fit).

Up front, I think we need a new striker so may be inclined to either let Murray go (even though he signed a new deal recently he is still not getting games) or loan out Connolly for experience. Those are assuming we don't start playing two strikers most games.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Murray - but hopefully with a Bruno type internal job with the club

Stephens - yet again showed last night he is past his sell-by date.

Kayal - don't think he ever got the opportunities he should have had in the PL. We now have much better

Steele & Button - we have plenty of competent young keepers

Andone - I wouldn't let go. But Potter clearly has "issues" with him so he will be first on the bus

It is with real regret that I doubt we will see Izzy at the Amex again - possibly cancel his contract. I hope he can recover and find a club somewhere.

March - oh Solly. I so wanted the local lad to tear the place up like it seemed at one time that he would. But sadly he just seems to have lost it.

Duffy - love the fella and he has been a great servant but we have better now

Crofts - never understood why we had him taking up a slot anyway

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Some here are spending an awful lot of Tony's money.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Some here are spending an awful lot of Tony's money.

It will be very interesting to see how much we invest this summer. There are definite gaps in the team, which would be good to fix. But maybe that is a reason for letting someone like Duffy go, if he's not going to be a regular, and replace with White. We could then use these funds to buy players in other positions

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
The push to survive and 'push on' means bringing in stronger players and inevitably some current incumbents slipping down the pecking order. Think the Kayal/Stephens partnership of not so long a go. I think Stephens will hold on but is on borrowed time. Same applies to Solly. Solly just doesn't seem 'switched on' mentally which is a puzzler and a bit of a shame.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Out of those there is no chance of them letting Stephens, Duffy, Dunk or March go. All core squad players. And hasn't Murray already signed for next season?

RE: Duffy
Ben White has to have 1st team Premier League football, he wasn’t tested enough in the Championship. Duffy would be behind him, Webster, Dunk & Burn. He won’t want to be stuck on the bench. He’ll be off (West Brom is my guess).

RE: Dunk
TB does not need £30m+. No need to sell.

RE: March
He lacks confidence. I think he has had his chance to step up to be a top 10 EPL player. Time to cash in.

RE: Stephens
Like Duffy, he’ll be behind Pröpper, Bissouma and probably Alzate. With the likes of Molumby & Baluta eager to take his place, I think a move would suit him. Brilliant servant to the club but lacks the mobility we need to push for a top 10 finish. Burnley would love him but he might pop up somewhere like Watford.

RE: Murray
He’ll be on cup duty and coaching his replacement (hope it’s Muriqi).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here