Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Schelotto and Kayal extend deals

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ezequiel Schelotto and Beram Kayal have signed contract extensions until the end of the 2019/20 season.

Their contracts were due to expire at the end of this month, but with the season only just restarting after the Covid-19 lockdown, they have each agreed to extend their stay with the club.

Argentinian Schelotto made his 32nd appearance of his Albion career when he started in last Saturday’s 2-1 win against Arsenal, having joined the club in 2017 from Portuguese top-flight side Sporting Lisbon.

Kayal is yet to make an appearance for Albion this campaign, after spending time out on loan at Charlton Athletic earlier on in the season which was cut short due to injury in January.

The Israeli international signed for the Seagulls in 2015 from Celtic and has gone on to make more than 100 appearances in an Albion shirt.

Technical Director Dan Ashworth said, “We have a very busy period coming up with seven games between now and July 26 so it’s important we have as many options as possible during this period.

“We are delighted that Ezequiel and Beram have extended their contracts through to the end of the season.”

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Good news but both gone at season’s end?

Phoenix011

Nov 28, 2018
Actually quite like Kayal and thought he put some good performances in last season (The King Kayal thread on here is testimony to that), we probably have better options now though

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Would have thought Kayal would be 5th choice at best but probably still wise. Stephens/Propper/Biss seem to be the incumbents with Alzate probably next choice. Gross probably as well although not a good CM for me.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Would be sorry to see Schelotto go, I’d think he be good for another season. Always gives his all, his attacking drive is a little under rated I think.

But... Lamptey.. you have to think his performance last night must have created quite a few conversations at the club. As it has for us here on NSC.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Schelotto needs to stay through all of Lamptey's formative years.

Sure Bruno can teach him how to defend, be calm under pressure, look after himself, reliable, dependable and all the other dull stuff.

But who's going to teach him how to be a lunatic?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I don't mind Schelotto as backup for Lamptey.

Montoya's defending worries me.

No way is schelotto better at defending than Montoya. I like schelotto as he brings a bit of entertainment but it’s Montoya every day of the week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I once gained an infraction on here for a less click-baity subject header than that!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Actually quite like Kayal and thought he put some good performances in last season (The King Kayal thread on here is testimony to that), we probably have better options now though

Yesterday's man alas, time moves relentlessly on. Thank you for your five years service Beram, but . . .

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Would have thought Kayal would be 5th choice at best but probably still wise. Stephens/Propper/Biss seem to be the incumbents with Alzate probably next choice. Gross probably as well although not a good CM for me.

Last night, with 15 minutes to go, with Dale Stephens on his last legs, and our midfield at risk of being over-run, the situation was CRYING OUT for Beram Kayal to come on and add energy and bite to proceedings.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Montoya's defending worries you, but Schelotto's doesn't?:facepalm:

Over the last three seasons, whenever an opposition left winger has destroyed us (frequently), 9 times out of 10 Montoya’s been the RB. Even loyal Hughton and positive Potter dropped him, deservedly so.

He lacks pace in defence, gets caught out of position.

Schelotto’s a loose cannon, but imho he’s improved since his comeback from injury.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Hedging our bets while we wait and see what division we're in next year presumably. If we're in the Championship I imagine Kayal will be offered a longer-term deal, if we stay up he'll probably move on (as much as it pains me to say it, I think he's a brilliant player and would love to see he get some Premier League minutes this season)

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Over the last three seasons, whenever an opposition left winger has destroyed us (frequently), 9 times out of 10 Montoya’s been the RB. Even loyal Hughton and positive Potter dropped him, deservedly so.

He lacks pace in defence, gets caught out of position.

Schelotto’s a loose cannon, but imho he’s improved since his comeback from injury.

We know that Schelotto will just go forward and chase the ball, and because he is so one footed, as soon as he gets a chance to cross he will. He doesn't mess about with trickery and he is easy to read by his team mates. The opposition defence cannot afford to relax and he will tire them out as much as he tires himself out.

Yep he is not blessed with silky skills, but a loose cannon is tricky to play against.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here