Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] So you don't like country, metal, jazz, hip hop etc - but do you like?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Inspired by Icy Gull's thread: https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?380784-Genres-of-music-that-just-don%92t-do-it-for-you

If someone says that they don't like a particular genre, what would you play to them, just so the could check that they're absolutely sure? Simply post 'You don't like... but do you like....? It could be a classic of the genre, something that may be a gateway drug, or something little known that may have been dismissed along with it's genre.

Short of someone saying 'You don't like metal do you like the Stylistics, don't let's quibble too much over whether something should be included in the genre that the poster says it is. If it's near, forgive them possible miscategorisation.

An obvious one from me to start:

You don't like jazz, but do you like Miles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylXk1LBvIqU

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
No I do love some Country though as I said on the other thread I have tried with jazz and my old friends loved it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Mashups and covers can often open the ears and minds. You may not like country, bluegrass or hip hop but maybe you'd like this classic fusion of all three together, a favourite of mine also recently posted by Yes Chef

I posted on the other thread that I'm not a big fan of AOR/Soft Metal. However, on one of the Nextmen's old mix CDs there's a classic mash up between the vocals from Biggie's "Can I Get Witcha" over the backing track of Hall and Oates "I Can't Go For That" only with the chorus left in, so that every time Biggie propositions the girl the answer is "No, I can't go for that". It's genius but only available on the mix so you'll have to enjoy them seperately.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So according to Icy Gull, I will never like Country music. An exception though is Johnny Cash. Not my best favourite but pretty good,

I love Country music but have never been a Johnny Cash fan :shrug:

Pretty well every song sounds the same to me and although I have tried a number of times the very very highly rated At St Quentin album does absolutely nothing for me

Ring of Fire does my head in and I Fecking hate it being played at the Amex

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I would also add that many years ago I was not much into "soul ballads" believing them to belong to cheesy "erection sections" played at 1.55am in nightclubs with a dress code and shit lager. Then I heard this. Not a ballad, obviously, but it opened my mind to what a slow tempo and brilliant voice could do.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I love Miles Davis.

But I'm not too fussed about music genres; I listen to most stuff: classical, opera, soul, jazz, blues, disco, punk, new romantic, rock, 40/50s big band / swing, Rat Pack etc.

The only genres I tend to avoid are C&W and what I call "music to slash your wrists to" eg Adelle, Ed Sheeran et al. Having ruled those out of my life I still have a cornucopia of styles to enjoy.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I love Country music but have never been a Johnny Cash fan :shrug:

Pretty well every song sounds the same to me and although I have tried a number of times the very very highly rated At St Quentin album does absolutely nothing for me

Ring of Fire does my head in and I Fecking hate it being played at the Amex

I'm not a Johnny Cash fan, but his late Rubin-produced recordings were impressive in my view. And you are of course right about Gram Parsons. Some would classify her work as bluegrass, but I'd add Gillian Welch to GP.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Cannot stand any of the above type thrash metal.
I get similar sounds from my dustmen every Tuesday.

I prefer blues, soul and jazz.
Well into Lianne la Havas ATM, beautiful voice.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I'm not a Johnny Cash fan, but his late Rubin-produced recordings were impressive in my view. And you are of course right about Gram Parsons. Some would classify her work as bluegrass, but I'd add Gillian Welch to GP.

Gillian is brilliant across a range of genres and if you ask her to join in on a cover of Rainy Day Women, she obviously says the only thing anyone should say: "Bagsy the bass drum!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH05vBMZv9g

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Metal / hard rock must be one of the widest genres around- must be something In it for everyone. Classic rock (Sabbath, DP, LZ) nwobhm (iron Maiden, Saxon), hair (Poison), stadium (Def Leppard, Bon Jovi), AOR (journey), glam (t-Rex), thrash (Slayer, Metallica), stoner (kyuss), doom, power, pirate, symphonic Nightwish), nu (ok lots of rubbish here),death, melodic-death (know idea the difference), black (weird Norwegian stuff), Mongolian (yes - check out the Hu), prog rock (Rush), prog metal (Dream Theatre), punk, indie, grunge, folk, alt., industrial (ministry), goth, funk And then off that is sub genres

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here