Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League Restart as Summer International Tournament

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If you think of this restart as a replacement for the summer international tournaments then you’d have to say the pundits would be condemning it by now.

Mostly as anodyne as the crowds. The exception? Brighton v Arsenal.

Will the entertainment quality improve as things are decided?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m no ManC fan but have enjoyed their performances, Wolves were brilliant to watch at West Ham, Spuds v ManU was a good match, Newcastle immense against the Blades.

I’ve loved the restart.

Yes, I think it will get even better as players find match fitness, and the stakes are raised for Euro and relegation places.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I’m no ManC fan but have enjoyed their performance, Wolves were brilliant to watch at West Ham, Spuds v ManU was a good match, Newcastle immense against the Blades.

Yes, I think it will get even better as players find match fitness, and the stakes are raised for Euro and relegation places.

Most of those were routine wins. Spurs v Man U was close (let’s call it a France V Argentina in a group of death) but was bloody poor quality IMO. Our game v Arsenal has been the only big pundit talking point.

For balance our 0-0 today with a missed pen was typical of an early England group game against a minnow, only with us in the minnow role.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I think that maybe I’ve set this thread up wrongly. Should have asked who our international tournament equivalent is maybe? I’m going for CHILE.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Most of those were routine wins. Spurs v Man U was close (let’s call it a France V Argentina in a group of death) but was bloody poor quality IMO. Our game v Arsenal has been the only big pundit talking point.

For balance our 0-0 today with a missed pen was typical of an early England group game against a minnow, only with us in the minnow role.

I get your point now.

In the Bundesliga in general the best squads have been reeling off win after win.

Whereas Brighton beating Arsenal, drawing at Leicester, Newcastle beating Euro chasing Blades, Watford holding Leicester, weren’t likely results pre-match imo.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
There's been good and bad so far. The one noticeable thing is the lack of tempo and goals in the first half of games particularly. I said on another thread but I think they missed a truck by not piping in crowd noise at the games, might not be the same as having supporters in the ground but I do think it would give them a different feel for players and could help improve the tempo of games.

I'd personally like to bin off the 2 rules changes we've seen in water breaks midway through each half which completely ruin any flow a game is starting to get and the 5 subs which again just makes a game disjointed when you get a plethora of subs through the second half of games.

I do however think the quality will improve as players get used to playing being closed doors competitively and get up to speed with their sharpness and team play.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I'm viewing this PL restart along with the FA Cup as this summer's tournament, with the final being the FA Cup final on August 1st.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I think that maybe I’ve set this thread up wrongly. Should have asked who our international tournament equivalent is maybe? I’m going for CHILE.

I don't think we're quite sexy enough for Chile. Maybe Senegal?

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I must admit, unless I have a dog in the fight, I'm not interested at all. Turned off Sunday night after 10 mins. The PL is a strange ginger stepchild at present.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'd personally like to bin off the 2 rules changes we've seen in water breaks midway through each half which completely ruin any flow a game is starting to get and the 5 subs which again just makes a game disjointed when you get a plethora of subs through the second half of games.

I don't know about this. Playing games in this heat is energy-sapping, a drinks break is vital. What I would like to see is it being optional - if the temp drops and it starts pissing down, then just carry on.

The five subs rule is something the clubs themselves wanted: as the games pile up, there's a need to preserve tired limbs. It will reduce the amount of injuries,

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
From what I've seen, the games have had very much a pre-season feel to them. The lack of atmosphere MUST make a difference, as well as the fact that players won't be match fit. There also must be players (especially in teams) who are going through the motions because they've got nothing to play for (unlike tournament football) and they know it'll be all be done and dusted again soon (like tournament football).

One comment that Bobkin Jnr made last night was how many good quality goals there have been in the games, which is something, I guess!

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I have loved it. Working up till 6pm (from home) then wander down the stairs knowing there’s a game on every night that I have an interest in. Made even better by us getting early points on the board so I can watch our relegation rivals with less stress.

It’s made the last two weeks go so much quicker than they were before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here