Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Corners

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Minor gripe after last two excellent results and performances.

But, we really are poor from corners into the box considering the height of our team, aren't we? We always seem to go through the same motions: line up, and split as it's being taken. But then the vast majority of corners we get nowhere near.

Shame considering we have a number of man mountains in our line up

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Minor gripe after last two excellent results and performances.

But, we really are poor from corners into the box considering the height of our team, aren't we? We always seem to go through the same motions: line up, and split as it's being taken. But then the vast majority of corners we get nowhere near.

Shame considering we have a number of man mountains in our line up

On the other hand, we're defending them fairly effectively.

And of course the short corner did the job on Saturday

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
I really liked the corner routine for our equaliser against arsenal. Totally caught out a sleeping defence. At least it shows that the players can be creative with corner routines should they choose, and there isn't a dead set formula.With regards to the 'love train' routine from corners, I think we've just been unlucky and opposition teams have dealt with our corners really well. When you have the height that we do, we'll always be a threat from set pieces, so i'm not worried, that'll come again

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Leicester are very good at defending them though - both centre halves really good in air and not giants. But it was disappointing we didn’t create a chance from them.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If only one of our goals on Saturday had come as the result of a corner

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
If only one of our goals on Saturday had come as the result of a corner

I know, I know, but I mean when the balls pumped into the middle of the box and we have 3 giants in there. We very rarely test the keeper.

Its really only an observation though, otherwise been hugely impressed with GP and how the players have returned since the break

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Could be worse.

[tweet]1280754867372515328[/tweet]

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The corners are great. Although I dont remember which of all stat sites I used (there's annoyingly many and none of them got all the stats), Brighton were top 1 in header/shots created per corner and top 6 in actual goals scored from corners despite having far less than the top teams.

Webster and Dunk are both dirty on corners and pretty efficient as well, according to numbers.

Dan Burn however is the Davy Pröpper of headed attempts and if he was a bit better at it I dont think there would be any discussion about "poor corners".

While not every one of this goal attempts came from corners, most did (likely, I'll find the numbers at the end of season) and this is a pretty telling comparison:

Andy Webster - total attempts/on target/goals: 14 / 6 / 3
Lewis Dunk - 27 / 9 / 3
Dan Burn - 12 / 0 / 0

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
The corners are great. Although I dont remember which of all stat sites I used (there's annoyingly many and none of them got all the stats), Brighton were top 1 in header/shots created per corner and top 6 in actual goals scored from corners despite having far less than the top teams.

Webster and Dunk are both dirty on corners and pretty efficient as well, according to numbers.

Dan Burn however is the Davy Pröpper of headed attempts and if he was a bit better at it I dont think there would be any discussion about "poor corners".

While not every one of this goal attempts came from corners, most did (likely, I'll find the numbers at the end of season) and this is a pretty telling comparison:

Lewis Dunk - 27 / 9 / 3
Dan Burn - 12 / 0 / 0
Good stats, but it doesn't surprise me actually - you'd expect the opposition teams to see Burn coming into the box and put their biggest players on him to take him out of the header. Leaving Dunk and Webster in a better position with potentially weaker markers.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Lewis Dunk - 27 / 9 / 3
Dan Burn - 12 / 0 / 0

webster.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here