Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maupay's Goal

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
The more I watch Miffy's GIF of Maupay's goal the better it gets.

Was that sequence off of the training ground ?

If not, the dummy by Maupay and the flick by Connolly show a tremendous quality and great understanding between them.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
There is also a lot to be said for the weight on the pass from Mac Allister into Connolly. It was perfect, it meant Connolly didn't have to think about anything other than guiding the ball into Maupay's path he knew the ball would have the pace to get there (that isn't to say what Connolly was easy, it was a great touch from him) . A classic example of letting the ball do the work.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Mac Allister's pass felt almost arrogant in its' directness. Directly towards goal. We don't do passes like that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There is also a lot to be said for the weight on the pass from Mac Allister into Connolly. It was perfect, it meant Connolly didn't have to think about anything other than guiding the ball into Maupay's path he knew the ball would have the pace to get there (that isn't to say what Connolly was easy, it was a great touch from him) . A classically example of letting the ball do the work.
Let's not forget the impact of the lockdown on that goal.

If Davy had cut his hair, he wouldn't have casually flicked the ball over his shoulder, into Jocko, taking out 2 Arsenal players.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The more I watch Miffy's GIF of Maupay's goal the better it gets.

Was that sequence off of the training ground ?

If not, the dummy by Maupay and the flick by Connolly show a tremendous quality and great understanding between them.
As much as there'll be training ground involvement in the goal, I'll hazard a guess more of it is down to instinct.

There's a reason 'we' aren't professional footballers and in this case that reason is Maupay's movement.

I doubt any of the 3 Amigos knew what they were doing, but they all instinctively knew what was happening.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
All of it was special. The fact Maupay hit it first time too in fairly difficult / pressured circumstances is impressive. He has had a good first season in the PL.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
MacAllister’s time on the ball, calmness, almost arrogance for the pass is something you don’t see from Albion players, it’s almost Latin American class :smile:

It certainly ain't Scotchish.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
...also really love the fact Potter was prepared to still be looking for the win against a (former ?) big club deep in injury time. We'd have been settling for a point previously.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

reminded me of Yorke/Cole at their finest for Man Utd!

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Maupay still had a lot to do when he was one on one with the keeper.
It was a top class finish that would have been missed or saved many times.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
The two other Albion players racing into the box as Maupay's shot ball hits the net? Connolly and McAllister.

#desire

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'd say it must be - Neal provides what seems like a signal to Aaron (a whirl of the right arm) to indicate the dummy. I hope that won't give it away to future opponents!

I don't think it was. At least not that move specifically, I'm sure they do similar stuff in training.

As I see it, MacAllister sees space between the Arsenal defence and midfield. He plays the ball into Connolly's feet and darts beyond the static Arsenal midfielders into the space presumably to offer Connolly the option of a simple return pass allowing Mac Allister to have a pop from just outside the box. Instead, Maupay also spotting an opportunity makes the run towards and over the ball and around the flat footed defender, pointing to where he wants the ball from Connolly who alive to the chance plays a delightful first time flick into said space.

It's a really, really good goal made possible only by the quick thinking, positive intent and skill of the three players(four if you count Propper's flick to Ally Mac).

These are the sort of moments that make me really appreciate how far we've come. For the vast majority of my Albion supporting life we'd never have scored a goal like that. Thinking back to possibly the two biggest goals in the clubs history(Reinelt and Storer) and how scrappy(wonderfully so) they were and how they were the typical type of goal we've scored for many years to see that goal agaisnt Arsenal is a really great moment to be savoured and enjoyed.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Real skill to put that away, and boy did he want it. We need to do a Fantasy Football League style recreation next season pre-match with fans there so NM can re-savour the moment. Enrest can play Guendouzi.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here