Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Most Deluded Supporter You Have Ever Met

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
For some reason, this morning I was reminded of a conversation I had with a Northampton Town supporting delivery truck driver who I was booking in at my place of work around 1992.

The chat got to football and he was telling me how his club was building and 80,000 capacity ground in his area. I remember trying to explain that it may be a tad over confident to go for such a ground but he was absolutely adamant.

It was clear that he had either miss-heard or was a compulsive liar, but in the end I just had to move the conversation as it was clear he was quite irritated by my protests and wasn't budging. I spoke to a friend who actually supports the Cobblers and he was equally amused at the time.

Sixfields was opened a couple of years or so later with its 7-8,000 capacity.

Got me thinking about fans of delusion. So I thought I'd start a column on it. Who was the most deluded fan you ever met ?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
A lot of times I bump into this guy who started cheering for some random team on some large, God-forgotten island far, far away, just because of the manager. About six months he e-mailed their CEO about the match atmosphere, despite never setting a foot even remotely close to their stadium. Weird guy. Sometimes when I see him I just wanna punch him.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Last season away at Arsenal, during our pilgrimage to get [MENTION=36]Titanic[/MENTION] autograph.
We passed Piers Morgan outside the the Emirates, deluded as they come :lol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A lot of times I bump into this guy who started cheering for some random team on some large, God-forgotten island far, far away, just because of the manager. About six months he e-mailed their CEO about the match atmosphere, despite never setting a foot even remotely close to their stadium. Weird guy. Sometimes when I see him I just wanna punch him.

I hope he got a short ban from their forum to concentrate his mind :wink:

Do you think he might dump the current team and follow the manager to his new club when he moves on?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I was deluded enough to think that Peter Ward would become a long term fixture in the England team :smile:

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
I had a chat with our window cleaner, who is a Brentford fan, yesterday. He said "I've got a feeling we're gonna do it". "Do what?" ….. "Automatic. Mate. Just need eight wins on the bounce and we will be there. You watch. Starting with West Brom on Friday".

He's a lovely bloke and his people do a great job of our windows, he's well past cleaning winders himself, but this thread does seem very timely.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I hope he got a short ban from their forum to concentrate his mind :wink:

Do you think he might dump the current team and follow the manager to his new club when he moves on?

It would probably depend on the circumstances. If it happens tomorrow, then perhaps. But the manager is probably one of the most likely to stay for a lot of years and the club one of the least likely to randomly and desperately sack him, so that scenario is likely many years away. I guess it is possible for this guy to grow more attached to the club rather than the manager as time goes by.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I once met a Manchester City and England Fan who used to cheer at England games when Bryan Robson got injured and was subbed.

I remember years ago getting into a very heated argument in a pub near the Goldstone (I think it was the Grenadier) with a Luton fan just before a cup game.

The argument? Which was the crappier club?

Lots of glorious use of the language of Shapespeare with "We are"s and "No you're not, we are"s flying back and forth for about 10 minutes.

Can't remember who won the argument, probably me, we oozed world class crappiness in those days.

Stainsey

Mar 25, 2009
I must have been thought of delusional myself when I was working at Heathrow around 2001. My work colleagues were all 'supporters' of Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool etc and I would come in on Monday mornings after another Zamora wonder show and tell them all that we had a player that would one day play for England. I did add that he would had been sold on by then, but they all just nodded and must had thought, yeah, that I had just lost the plot.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
How on earth did that happen, Icy??

We were at the arse end of the league and as a young kid he chose Trevor Francis’ Weds as his team. When I met him about 8 years ago he told me he supported Weds and Brighton. I said “ don’t be a wanker, choose one team or the other” He chose Weds and we have had some great banter since :smile:

He has mentioned on a couple of occasions that he might have made the wrong decision and blames me :lolol:

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Knew a West Ham fan during my time at Uni in the mid-2000s who was adamant they should be finishing top 2-3 every season and Champions League regulars.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We were at the arse end of the league and as a young kid he chose Trevor Francis’ Weds as his team. When I met him about 8 years ago he told me he supported Weds and Brighton. I said “ don’t be a wanker, choose one team or the other” He chose Weds and we have had some great banter since :smile:

He has mentioned on a couple of occasions that he might have made the wrong decision and blames me :lolol:

I know another Sussex-based Weds fan...he's otherwise a decent bloke !

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
**** I used to work with ten years ago was a huge Pompey fan. Whenever we'd pass each other in a corridor he'd say in a camp voice, "Poor old Brighton." and laugh to himself. He must have done it 20 times a week.

I wish I could pass him in a corridor now!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here