Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Genres of music that just don’t do it for you

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I know this is a sweeping generalisation but I just don’t get on with electronic music. I know HWT is likely to have palpitations when he reads this, or alternatively is going to feel very sorry for me :shrug:

Kraftwerk, nah
Gary Numan, his music just makes me angry :shrug:

I could go on but I won’t except to say that I don’t think I have a single album of this genre in my quite large and varied music collection.

Anyway, what genres of music don’t do much for you?

Poll to follow if there are enough responses

And yes I do have my tin hat at the ready :smile:

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
I don’t think I’d ever categorically exclude any musical genre from my ‘likes’ because there are always exceptional examples within a genre. Having said that my collection of rap/hip-hop/urban is essentially non-existent. I loved the early commercial rap songs like ‘White Lines’, ‘The Crown’, ‘The Message’ etc. but that’s about it. Probably an age thing!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Drum & Bass.

Just don't get the appeal.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm currently working my way through the 1,001 Albums to Hear Before You Die book. It covers 1955-present day.

I'm only at 1958 so far, and there is a LOT of Jazz in the early years. Some of the more freeform/bebop stuff I really struggle with. Lack of dynamics, or any real sense of where you are in a song, I just feel completely lost. Meanders too much for me.

Generally though, I think you can find something of worth in pretty much any genre, bar some extreme examples.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Skillrex and fellow travellers, grates.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Ubiquitous (in Spain), full-volume-in-public Reggaeton doesn't do it for me. Maybe there's some good stuff but it sounds so samey.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Disco. Can't stand it, just seems so dull - and is the focus of so much radio seemingly, including Radio 2.

Also modern R and B.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Heavy Metal - I never took to Led Zeppelin
Viennese Waltzes - Johann Strauss et al.
Anything too bland or Middle of the Road.

But I don't like putting things in "boxes". I was going to say "Pop", but what is Pop. How would you categorise Buddy Holly's "Heartbeat", which I often would think of as the best pop record ever made, but is it pop? I just think it is a masterpiece and can never listen to it on the iPod without repeating it. each to his or her own.

But for the most part, I'll give anything a go.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Ubiquitous (in Spain), full-volume-in-public Reggaeton doesn't do it for me. Maybe there's some good stuff but it sounds so samey.

Booooo

I really like the Reggaton stuff

Only got into it in the last few years but really like it

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Disco. Can't stand it, just seems so dull - and is the focus of so much radio seemingly, including Radio 2.

Also modern R and B.

With you for the most part on both counts. I could never get excited about things like the BeeGees and Saturday Night Fever. And I know Nile Rodgers is supposed to be a legend and is uber cool, but I saw some tribute to him recently where, when I realised some of the stuff he had done in the past (i.e. Chic), I wondered what all the fuss was about.

And R&B to me is early Rolling Stones or going back to Chuck Berry and the like. What goes for R&B these days is Middle of the Road as far as I am concerned.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I like to think I’ve a rather eclectic taste in music, I’m just as happy listening to Elton John or Iron Maiden as I am nodding along to a bit of Tribe Called Quest or Foreigner. But, happy hardcore? No, nope, absolutely not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here