Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Are there too many people 2020

Are there too many Humans (2020 version)

• Yes too many. Our numbers are not sustainable

Votes: 62 88.6%
  • No Keep on breeding – there is no population problem

Votes: 8 11.4%

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
With Human induced climate change........why is no one talking about reducing the number of humans that induce the climate change?

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Blimey, can't wait to find out how you think we should go about this!

Fact is, there's too many people on the planet. In maybe 1000 years it'll become unsustainable for everyone but let's be honest there's nothing me or you can do about it so don't sweat it.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Our population and our use of the finite resources of planet Earth are growing exponentially, along with our technical ability to change the environment for good or ill - Stephen Hawking

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
About a hundred years ago, there was this fella from Austria who had exactly the same thought. I wonder what happened to him

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
probably, but how does one form a sensible policy to address this?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
probably, but how does one form a sensible policy to address this?

sei_28297430-3e8c.jpg

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The average birthrate worldwide is at it's lowest level ever (just above 2). In the 1960's, it was 5.

The reason for this dramatic fall is due to the lifting of a huge amount of the poorest people in the world out of extreme poverty and giving women better access to basic education, healthcare and contraception.

So there may well be too many humans, but the average birthrate is not the issue.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
As a species we already can't live in harmony and equilibrium with the rest of life on the planet. We already can't organise ourselves well enough to give everyone a reasonable standard of living.

Based on that it's difficult to argue that the current exponential population growth is good or sustainable.

A practical and/or palatable solution doesn't exist. I've no doubt the situation will play itself out to a mass extinction, it's absolutely inevitable, just a question of when.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
As a species we already can't live in harmony and equilibrium with the rest of life on the planet. We already can't organise ourselves well enough to give everyone a reasonable standard of living.

Based on that it's difficult to argue that the current exponential population growth is good or sustainable.

A practical and/or palatable solution doesn't exist. I've no doubt the situation will play itself out to a mass extinction, it's absolutely inevitable, just a question of when.

If you have a look at the evidence, there's a strong case to be made that the real problem is not population numbers but, rather, rates of consumption and, most particularly, the consumption of a narrow sector towards the top of society.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
We need a third option: "Too many stupid people" :)

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If you have a look at the evidence, there's a strong case to be made that the real problem is not population numbers but, rather, rates of consumption and, most particularly, the consumption of a narrow sector towards the top of society.

Yes mate, you're right. The earth could probably sustain about what we've got .... not loads more ... if we all consumed a sensible amount. I'm not talking about all of us living in mud huts, we just need to think about it more, exercise a bit of self restraint and not spend our lives trying to having some possession, or go on some trip more flash than our peers.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

"The world has enough for everyone's need, but not enough for everyone's greed.”
Mahatma Gandhi

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here