Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"White Lives Matter Burnley" banner flown over the Etihad

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Before folk (or after) decide that this is a summary of town itself, consider the general response as seen on their fans forum. They are not at all pleased about what has happened.

#Perspective

Clearly, you're right, they aren't all racists, and I generally think it's unhelpful to turn this into a club v club thing.

However out of all the clubs in the football league they are up there as one of the ones with the biggest unresolved problems with racism. The vehement defence we saw of Jay Rodriguez was pretty troubling, and I've heard plenty about less than perfect race relations in the town.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Tbf a lot of people are jumping to conclusions on the message. Bit like the majority of the world who are assuming the George Floyd murder was racist despite there being not a single shred of evidence to suggest it was racially motivated...

Just playing devils advocate and no theres never a bad time to campaign for equality ever... Actually there is, whilst there’s a pandemic and everyone is meant to be socially distancing :lol:

FWIW I suspect the Burnley message wasn’t done as a reminder that all our lives matter (or irony) and I suspect the GF killing was racially motivated to some degree, but I do like to deal in facts and know the information first before jumping to conclusions - that’s the point I’m making.

What's your point? Whoever organised it is a racist or thick, most probably both. What other conclusion could possibly be drawn?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Tbf a lot of people are jumping to conclusions on the message. Bit like the majority of the world who are assuming the George Floyd murder was racist despite there being not a single shred of evidence to suggest it was racially motivated...

Just playing devils advocate and no theres never a bad time to campaign for equality ever... Actually there is, whilst there’s a pandemic and everyone is meant to be socially distancing :lol:

FWIW I suspect the Burnley message wasn’t done as a reminder that all our lives matter (or irony) and I suspect the GF killing was racially motivated to some degree, but I do like to deal in facts and know the information first before jumping to conclusions - that’s the point I’m making.

The GF murder is the result of almost 500 years of systemic racism by White European Americans over Black African Americans. Their systems (and all racist systems) have bias - mostly unintentional in the 2020s - ingrained within their cultures. The GF killing has finally uncorked the bottle on the frustration that black people have dealing with this bias against them because of the colour of their skin. That's why you have many black people saying enough of the platitudes - just ****ing change the systems i.e. more representation in all levels of society and equal opportunities. White privilege is nothing to do with economic status, it's all about having the privilege of NOT being born black in racist societies and systems.

Also, the term devil's advocate is ironically used in this debate because the Devils are the white Europeans (Portuguese, Spanish and then British) who incarcerated and traded 9-11million Black Africans and the Advocates are the commercial and social systems that reaped the commercial benefits of the human slave trade for 300 years until its soft abolition in 1832. I'm white, middle classed and privileged btw.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Clearly, you're right, they aren't all racists, and I generally think it's unhelpful to turn this into a club v club thing.

However out of all the clubs in the football league they are up there as one of the ones with the biggest unresolved problems with racism. The vehement defence we saw of Jay Rodriguez was pretty troubling, and I've heard plenty about less than perfect race relations in the town.

Remember going there in the first Prem season. Bong got all sorts of racial abuse. To the point that Aaron Lennon (Burnley player) walked off shaking his head! My experience of Burnley is a town about 40 years behind the rest of the UK! Horrible place.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
In fairness, there's only one conclusion: whoever organised it is a c-word.

Agreed, however, Burnley, like other towns and cities in the north and all over the country, have been adversely affected by technology, capitalism, Thatcherism, and efficiency of an imported workforce, over the last 30 years or more. They have to vent their displeasure somewhere, the newspapers have informed them its not their fault, so it must be the new neighbours.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just popped onto the Beehole End. TBF they are absolutely furious about it - most widely used adjective being ‘Ashamed’

I’ve read several tweets from Burnley fans who are embarrassed and ashamed of this.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Agreed, however, Burnley, like other towns and cities in the north and all over the country, have been adversely affected by technology, capitalism, Thatcherism, and efficiency of an imported workforce, over the last 30 years or more. They have to vent their displeasure somewhere, the newspapers have informed them its not their fault, so it must be the new neighbours.

He says from the safety of his South Coast middle class lifestyle [emoji23][emoji23][emoji106]

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Remember going there in the first Prem season. Bong got all sorts of racial abuse. To the point that Aaron Lennon (Burnley player) walked off shaking his head! My experience of Burnley is a town about 40 years behind the rest of the UK! Horrible place.

You may have underestimated that slightly.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Only 40 years?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If you google Burnley and L'Equipe there is an article that says Burnley FC is 100% white team coached by a ginger englishman. Very strange.

After Vydra was subbed off, all 11 were white English (one of them has an Indian Mother to be fair). Thought that was a bit odd.

Not sure if they took the knee, but they were on their knees at the end :shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So it wasn't racially motivated then.

“We wish to make it clear that those responsible are not welcome at Turf Moor,” the statement said. “This, in no way, represents what Burnley Football Club stands for and we will work fully with the authorities to identify those responsible and issue lifetime bans.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
After Vydra was subbed off, all 11 were white English (one of them has an Indian Mother to be fair). Thought that was a bit odd.

I watched the first half and didn’t even know that Jay Racist was playing. Hypocrite taking the knee.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
What's your point? Whoever organised it is a racist or thick, most probably both. What other conclusion could possibly be drawn?

99% yeh - or possibly it was tongue in cheek and meant as an ironic note but yeh I’m pretty sure they were too... but I don’t really get the message - it could be meant a number of ways.

The GF murder is the result of almost 500 years of systemic racism by White European Americans over Black African Americans. Their systems (and all racist systems) have bias - mostly unintentional in the 2020s - ingrained within their cultures. The GF killing has finally uncorked the bottle on the frustration that black people have dealing with this bias against them because of the colour of their skin. That's why you have many black people saying enough of the platitudes - just ****ing change the systems i.e. more representation in all levels of society and equal opportunities. White privilege is nothing to do with economic status, it's all about having the privilege of NOT being born black in racist societies and systems.

Also, the term devil's advocate is ironically used in this debate because the Devils are the white Europeans (Portuguese, Spanish and then British) who incarcerated and traded 9-11million Black Africans and the Advocates are the commercial and social systems that reaped the commercial benefits of the human slave trade for 300 years until its soft abolition in 1832. I'm white, middle classed and privileged btw.

Not denying the historical stuff and yes America in particular has had race issues for years especially with the police. Your first sentence however, is you guessing and there’s no facts to back that up - nobody has spoken. There is not one piece of evidence that proves it was racially motivated. The only clear thing is that it was police brutality - that’s the first and only thought I had when watching the sick ******* doing it. That is exactly my point - everyone has assumed due to past shocking racism. And I am factually correct at the moment. I have watched several disturbing documentaries like the one where the black kids were wrongly forced to admit a rape in a park in the 90s etc etc and am by no means playing down the issues over there. However I do feel it’s got so much better recently within society - same with homophobia, sexism etc. I personally feel those watching the GF video and straight away assuming racism are somewhat cynical. Just an opinion, but I prefer to have the facts first and clear evidence.

In fairness, there's only one conclusion: whoever organised it is a c-word.

Most likely yes. (Not 100%)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Dwight McNeil is mixed race. White mother/ mixed race father (himself a former pro footballer in the lower leagues).

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
99% yeh - or possibly it was tongue in cheek and meant as an ironic note but yeh I’m pretty sure they were too... but I don’t really get the message - it could be meant a number of ways.

Not denying the historical stuff and yes America in particular has had race issues for years especially with the police. Your first sentence however, is you guessing and there’s no facts to back that up - nobody has spoken. There is not one piece of evidence that proves it was racially motivated. The only clear thing is that it was police brutality - that’s the first and only thought I had when watching the sick ******* doing it. That is exactly my point - everyone has assumed due to past shocking racism. And I am factually correct at the moment. I have watched several disturbing documentaries like the one where the black kids were wrongly forced to admit a rape in a park in the 90s etc etc and am by no means playing down the issues over there. However I do feel it’s got so much better recently within society - same with homophobia, sexism etc. I personally feel those watching the GF video and straight away assuming racism are somewhat cynical. Just an opinion, but I prefer to have the facts first and clear evidence.

Most likely yes. (Not 100%)

There’s a charming photo of the alleged instigator and tommy racist Robinson. What further proof would you need?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here