Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"White Lives Matter Burnley" banner flown over the Etihad

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Remember going there early/mid 2000s somepoint to watch us and there was a huge BNP banner attached to a derelict building somewhere close to the town centre. Looks like attitudes haven't changed!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Remember going there early/mid 2000s somepoint to watch us and there was a huge BNP banner attached to a derelict building somewhere close to the town centre. Looks like attitudes haven't changed!

I don't think the early/mid 2000s have reached Burnley yet.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I remember that. It was on that pottery chimney stack thing as you come out the station.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Only just seen this thread and heard the news.

I was watching the match on Sky and heard the light aircraft. I genuinely thought at the time that a banner might’ve been paraded, but was thinking along the lines of ManU supporters mocking their hated neighbours eg Emptihad.

The problem with the “White Lives Matter” statement is that not-so-cleverly it isn’t literally racist. But decent folk (the vast majority of Brits imho) know it’s spoken by racists and/or thicko’s. As white people we don’t need our lives specially protected or any more than they are already.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
TBH I was half expecting some Burnley **** to do something, but somehow I'm still surprised at the brazenness of it all.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
If you google Burnley and L'Equipe there is an article that says Burnley FC is 100% white team coached by a ginger englishman. Very strange.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I prefer this one that Blackburn flew over Turfmoor during Burnley's playoff game back in 1991. Whether it's true or not that Rovers striker Simon Garner paid for it, just the rumour has meant he's never had to buy another drink in Blackburn.

blackburn-rovers-casuals-blackburn-rovers-hooligans.jpg

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Before folk (or after) decide that this is a summary of town itself, consider the general response as seen on their fans forum. They are not at all pleased about what has happened.

#Perspective

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
You’ve got to admire the Burnley folk who have not let civilisation encroach upon their way of life

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Tbf a lot of people are jumping to conclusions on the message. Bit like the majority of the world who are assuming the George Floyd murder was racist despite there being not a single shred of evidence to suggest it was racially motivated...

Just playing devils advocate and no theres never a bad time to campaign for equality ever... Actually there is, whilst there’s a pandemic and everyone is meant to be socially distancing :lol:

FWIW I suspect the Burnley message wasn’t done as a reminder that all our lives matter (or irony) and I suspect the GF killing was racially motivated to some degree, but I do like to deal in facts and know the information first before jumping to conclusions - that’s the point I’m making.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Police are currently searching Burnley for a suspect with the money to pay for a banner and who can spell properly. An arrest is expected any second as 30,251 people have already been ruled out as suspects.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just popped onto the Beehole End. TBF they are absolutely furious about it - most widely used adjective being ‘Ashamed’

Cheers. Just had a look.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Of all the clubs in the football league, Burnley is the last club I’d have expected this to happen too.

I’ve a number of black friends who are massive football fans (mostly north London teams!) and we have the odd conversation about racism in football from time to time. To a man, they’ll mention Burnley as being a bastion of equality, the beacon of progressiveness, the icon of diversity. They love that town and it’s culture and the football club is ALWAYS their second favourite team to support.

Proof that it only takes one idiot to sully the reputation of a well educated and tolerant people such as those gentiles from Burnley.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here