Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Holiday plans this summer?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why ever not? No international travel involved.

Barring a huge second wave that suddenly changes everything dramatically, there's nothing stopping people going to the likes of Cornwall in August (so long as they behave responsibly of course).

Noth Devon in August. Renting a whole detached house. Would be astonished if we can't go.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Due to go to Mexico late July but doesn't look very likely so will defer for 12 months. Will try and get away if allowed to travel, Turkey looks a likely prospect for now.

Check carefully. Friends of ours were due to go to Turkey in August and booked flights and hotels separately and independantly. The hotel booking is fine but their flights were cancelled last week. Can't remember who he said they were with so worth looking around.

Our usual cheap family UK holiday to The Manor in Devon is probably not going to happen. Even if other restrictions are lifted it's the worst possible sort of setup for virus transmission. Class based craft activities, shared sporting equipment, swimming pools, corridors that are not even 1m wide and buffet food for all three meals. Shame as it's bloody brilliant but that has "2nd wave" written all over it :eek:

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Regretfully if you hire a cruiser you can’t go down the flight, you moor up in the straight just before the top lock gate. We then went into Fort William a caught the Jacobite steam train to Mallaig which en route crosses the Harry Potter viaduct.

Boo! I'll have to figure out another way of scratching that itch. I've done the Jacobite multiple times, it's still one of my favourite things to do in the area, it never gets old.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Check carefully. Friends of ours were due to go to Turkey in August and booked flights and hotels separately and independantly. The hotel booking is fine but their flights were cancelled last week. Can't remember who he said they were with so worth looking around.

Our usual cheap family UK holiday to The Manor in Devon is probably not going to happen. Even if other restrictions are lifted it's the worst possible sort of setup for virus transmission. Class based craft activities, shared sporting equipment, swimming pools, corridors that are not even 1m wide and buffet food for all three meals. Shame as it's bloody brilliant but that has "2nd wave" written all over it :eek:

Cheers I will albeit I cannot do anything until the Mexico trip is cancelled (unless it goes ahead). the plan then is to use a top operator and book a complete package I am guessing I might know more later this week on which countries you can go to.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Boo! I'll have to figure out another way of scratching that itch. I've done the Jacobite multiple times, it's still one of my favourite things to do in the area, it never gets old.

Yep the Jacobite was a wonderful experience, I throughly enjoyed the overnight at at Urquat Harbour and a trip into Drumnadrochit to see the LN visitor centre, some lovely restaurants in that area too.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The whole experience sounds even more hideous than before, so that's a no.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Med cruise early September. Going with 3 other couples who are all still up for going saying if the cruise is allowed to run then the risk is manageable.

As I posted elsewhere the balance is due end of next week so I'm hoping that cruise line cancel before then so I'll get deposit back and flight money back.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Booked to go to Spain via Brittany Ferries Portsmouth to Santander for 3 + weeks in September. Astonishingly pretty nearly all the cabins were sold out at the time of booking but we managed to snag one of the last ones so evidently lots of people taking a punt on ferry travel. It's a great way to start a holiday, 24 hours on the ferry followed by a slow 2 day drive down through the heart of Spain to Andalucia, overnighting at Salamanca or Casares and vice versa coming home. We've got so-called flexible tickets so if there are problems we can defer the journey with a 2 year window to re-book it.

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
Med cruise early September. Going with 3 other couples who are all still up for going saying if the cruise is allowed to run then the risk is manageable.

As I posted elsewhere the balance is due end of next week so I'm hoping that cruise line cancel before then so I'll get deposit back and flight money back.

Who is it with? Cruise companies under the general umbrella Cruise Lines International Association announced at the end of last week a voluntary continued pause to all sailings out of USA until 15 September, Europe will follow suit.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Trip booked in the Windies for 30th Wedding Anniversary and August. Hotel (carefully chosen) has already confirmed it's not opening until October and have refunded me already. Haven't cancelled flights yet as waiting to see what the situation is nearer the time, as other hotels are already in the course of reopening - Mrs D is already saying we shouldn't go though so might look elsewhere..............will try to wait a bit longer before deciding yet. Will only go if things are very close to normal.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Were due to go to Taiwan for 3 weeks but they have a 14 day quarantine just like us so would need 7 weeks for a 3 week holiday.

May grab a weekend in Bologna later in the year

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Who is it with? Cruise companies under the general umbrella Cruise Lines International Association announced at the end of last week a voluntary continued pause to all sailings out of USA until 15 September, Europe will follow suit.

Royal Caribbean. Yes I saw that, and indefinite closure of Spanish ports. Does look like RCI are holding out somewhat. If they don't then cancel (as explained elsewhere) I either cancel and forfeit deposit (and independently booked flight cost) or pay the balance and hope they cancel before sailing date

stugbhafc1

Stuie G
Aug 4, 2011
Southwick
Holiday booked last August for 2 weeks in Lazarote for 27th July I'm hopeful but not really gonna be a holiday if when you get there your told to not do this not do that etc

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Was going to be a train to Greece but now opt for sunny Wales this year, with the odd trip to Sussex

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
We had booked and paid for flights for our Grandaughters to come to Malta via Gatwick for their annual holiday in late July early August.
Air Malta have just informed us there will be no Air Malta flights from Gatwick until October.
Looks like it will be Heathrow or bust.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
why don't you stop in at my place for a cup of tea as the queue for Cornwall will start about there.

It's a path we've trodden every year but one for about the last 20 summers - we've learned to set off the night before and overnight in Devon before the final push in the morning. Never a problem getting there. Getting back out, mind...

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I'm practically unemployed for the next 3 months so I'll be staycationing here for the most part. Luckily, I've got the beach and a couple of hundred books on my Kindle.

scooter1

How soon is now?
Got a week in the Witterings in August that should hopefully go ahead. It'd be nice if the only pub is open, even if its outside drinking only and possibly a couple of takeaways...
And a week in Lanzarote at the end of October. Flights announced during lock down and were £30 each way with a £1 EW for baggage. Booked a house direct with the owner for a bit of autumn sun before hunkering down for a British winter

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here