Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Holiday plans this summer?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I have a rearranged Hoseasons narrowboat holiday on the Shropshire Union end of October, the weather should be interesting! I was due originally to be on it at Easter.

Sounds very relaxing, even better if a few pubs open on the way

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Booked two weeks in Majorca flying out 27th July with BA from Gatwick. Still 50/50 on whether the flight will go ahead.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Sounds very relaxing, even better if a few pubs open on the way

On the original planned trip my cruising itinerary included 5 of the 7 nights moored near pubs with tables booked for them all in advance, I’m hoping by end of October they’ll be up and running again [emoji106]

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
expect restrictions to ease, flights to begin rescheduling for July, happy coincidence thats peak season. the travel industy here and even more so southern europe desperatly needed to be restarted, so expect resume relatively normality, with face coverings and hand sanitizers.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
House booked in Brighton's North Laine for 10 days in September (was originally booked for next week, but we had to put it back a couple of months).

Also got tickets to see Sparks in Amsterdam in October, and am scheduled for a work-related trip to Lyon in November.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Cornwall in August, still not very confident that it'll go ahead, but here's hoping.

Why ever not? No international travel involved.

Barring a huge second wave that suddenly changes everything dramatically, there's nothing stopping people going to the likes of Cornwall in August (so long as they behave responsibly of course).

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Why ever not? No international travel involved.

Barring a huge second wave that suddenly changes everything dramatically, there's nothing stopping people going to the likes of Cornwall in August (so long as they behave responsibly of course).

That's essentially the same argument that Norwich and Villa fans will be telling themselves about their chances of escaping relegation...

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Have a weeks villa holiday booked for end of July. Still not convinced I want to spend 3 hours on a plane to get there though.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I’ve been doing it every year with the kids since they were young, they are now 25,20 & 16 and still love going with me. I’m hoping to do the four counties ring in a week but it will be tough.

Good on you ..I used to do them with friends when younger..many hands made light work of the locks....ive done most of the canals...Leeds LIverpool probably a favourite for the countryside...although the streets of Burnley weren’t that attractive......Anderson lift was fun.. the aqueduct on the Llangollen canal (which I can’t spell) was special....and one minute being close to Old Trafford and then the next in the country ....great fun and lots of pubs!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Good on you ..I used to do them with friends when younger..many hands made light work of the locks....ive done most of the canals...Leeds LIverpool probably a favourite for the countryside...although the streets of Burnley weren’t that attractive......Anderson lift was fun.. the aqueduct on the Llangollen canal (which I can’t spell) was special....and one minute being close to Old Trafford and then the next in the country ....great fun and lots of pubs!

Every day's a holiday when you spend it with your arse on a ride-on mower, listening to the radio :whistle:

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Still fairly hopeful of a holiday in Switzerland in early September, driving there rather than flying.

Then a rearranged UK holiday with in-laws in Bamburgh - beautiful remote beaches north of Newcastle - in late September. Two holidays in a month feels decadent but it's basically a whole years' worth of holiday in one go.

Before lockdown I did a week in Devon with the family, left the wife and kids with the in-laws in Manchester and went for a weekend away to the Highlands on my own.

Surprised I'm still married to be honest.

No plans for a holiday this year, was hoping for a week down in Devon again but that can wait until next year now.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Brilliant memories eh, my favourite canal trip is South Oxford, in 2008 I hired a cruiser from Inverness to Fort William and back on the Caledonian Canal, cruising across Loch Ness was an absolute joy.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Brilliant memories eh, my favourite canal trip is South Oxford, in 2008 I hired a cruiser from Inverness to Fort William and back on the Caledonian Canal, cruising across Loch Ness was an absolute joy.

It's a plan of mine to do the Caledonian Canal at some point, along with hiking the West Highland Way and do some mountain biking in Fort William.

Neptune's Staircase looks like fun!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Might go to Corfu in September if flying is ok but will book it last minute. If the place we go to hasn't got space, we'll leave it. Hoping to get to Devon to stay with family fairly soon.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Due to go to Mexico late July but doesn't look very likely so will defer for 12 months. Will try and get away if allowed to travel, Turkey looks a likely prospect for now.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
It's a plan of mine to do the Caledonian Canal at some point, along with hiking the West Highland Way and do some mountain biking in Fort William.

Neptune's Staircase looks like fun!

Regretfully if you hire a cruiser you can’t go down the flight, you moor up in the straight just before the top lock gate. We then went into Fort William a caught the Jacobite steam train to Mallaig which en route crosses the Harry Potter viaduct.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Just looking at U.K. breaks now for August time. My brother lives in Germany so as soon as possible will be going to visit him. Nothing more substantial than that for the rest of this year

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Had a ski trip to Austria cancelled at the beginning of all this. First ski holiday that me and Mrs Wz were going on our own for over 20+ years (kids had already gone earlier in the season and were both tied up with work). Because I only had to pay for the 2 of us, I had decided to spoil us and had a really high quality spa hotel booked. Best laid plans etc :rolleyes:

I think we'll try and get away for some sun the week after the schools go back. Flights to somewhere warm if the virus has dropped right off, or maybe drive somewhere in France if it hasn't. Always tend to book last minute, so will see what is happening around end August/Beginning September before making the decision.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here