Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Holiday plans this summer?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone can get into the US, you just need to go via one of the (many) countries not on the US banned list and stay there for two weeks before your onward journey to the US.

Brits aren't banned from entering the US, non-US nationals that have been in the UK in the preceding 14 days are banned from entering the US.

Common stop-off points are Mexico, most of the Caribbean and Croatia.

We were close to doing it this summer, but staycationers had booked up all the dog-sitters. Dogs ruin everything - don't get one!

Lucky if you’ve got the time and money…you can get into some gateway cities in the US with a reasonable reason and paying a US lawyer £1k plus for the paperwork though. Probably cheaper than spending 10 days in a hotel en route if it’s a business trip.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
How did you wangle getting into the USA?
Went via Mexico. Bizarre rule that allows Europeans to 'quarantine' in Mexico for 2 weeks then be allowed entry to states. Think this loophole existed for Croatia and turkey as well but not sure if that's still in place.

Only problem with the states this time around is that is was completely full of yanks !!

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Went via Mexico. Bizarre rule that allows Europeans to 'quarantine' in Mexico for 2 weeks then be allowed entry to states. Think this loophole existed for Croatia and turkey as well but not sure if that's still in place.

Only problem with the states this time around is that is was completely full of yanks !!

My old boss now lives in Mexico, he’s currently in the US on holiday. No restrictions on travel between the two, yet we have Mexico on our Red list :shrug::shrug:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
My old boss now lives in Mexico, he’s currently in the US on holiday. No restrictions on travel between the two, yet we have Mexico on our Red list :shrug::shrug:
I caught covid in Mexico and it was rife there , they lied about the numbers. Not sure what situation is now.

The bigger scandal is Europeans and us letting the Americans in which they have not reciprocated

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Lucky if you’ve got the time and money…you can get into some gateway cities in the US with a reasonable reason and paying a US lawyer £1k plus for the paperwork though. Probably cheaper than spending 10 days in a hotel en route if it’s a business trip.

Well, going back to the thread on lifestyle and career changes, my switch meant that I'd no longer be tied to the typical corporate 25 days a year annual leave. By working for myself and with Mrs B working in education, it opened up all school holiday time as opportunities to head off and do stuff - so that's the "having time" angle covered off.

In terms of money, it need not be (too) expensive. We've certainly spent a lot on holidays, but we could have flown cheaper, stayed cheaper and eaten cheaper enabling a longer holiday for less money. Also we had three planned holidays (summer 2020, October 2020 and February 2021) that didn't happen, so we had that money available.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

It's farcical.

E_c1CzDWYAAyyDS.jpeg

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Interesting. I know some fairly wealthy people that were struggling to get in so that loophole must be fairly underground !!!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
When the USA opens the prices are going to rocket.

Good news today

It’s red or go for vaccinated

No test before flight back to Uk

Working on changing the back home test

No extra countries on red

Maldives off the red list

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

It is coming accross rather political now, it seems like he is refusing to bring in mandatory passes for travel as it will hit his polling.

The US airlines, Tourist hot sports are taking a hit - but not a massive one - so there is not much pressure coming from them either.

I assume Disney may start making public comments as it is the 50th Birthday year next year.

Even if he does lift it, its going to be a nightmare to get anything close to a decent priced flight/use airmiles/discounts.

We have been told it wont be till Christmas a the earliest - my money is now on April

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Didn’t realise that any unvaccinated children 11 or older will have to quarantine for 10 days on return under the new rules.

Bit of a problems for half term getaways I imagine..

Did Shapps say these rules will run until 31 December? I can’t believe they will be able to resist tweaking / changing things for the next 3 months.

8cb1ab87e5e7c55da5fc3fa5f74adeb7.jpg

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Oh they’ve changed their mind now - under 18’s will be treated as if they are vaccinated whether they are vaccinated or not.

1dad4c6cc0f6cdf01d9389097a4ed324.jpg

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
USA Change of heart.... looks like vaccinated can travel from Nov...
As someone with flights and reservations for a US honeymoon booked for next April, I'm very pleased by this.

Of course, a lot can happen between now and then but this is a start!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
As someone with flights and reservations for a US honeymoon booked for next April, I'm very pleased by this.

Of course, a lot can happen between now and then but this is a start!

We had a meeting with our CEO, he said it was unlikely before next year - so this is a massive U-Turn - a good one.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
We had a meeting with our CEO, he said it was unlikely before next year - so this is a massive U-Turn - a good one.

Its a massive shot in the arm for those of us in the Travel Industry! Along with the relaxation of testing for double jabbed, this will help save jobs.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Its a massive shot in the arm for those of us in the Travel Industry! Along with the relaxation of testing for double jabbed, this will help save jobs.

Free PCR test if they are needed with a positive LFT on return as well - which is good

I think it sounds like

No Test before departure for UK
LFT Test when back in the UK - Free PCR Test if positive
Green / No Go instead of traffic lights

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Not much to do on Hayling island but who cares with views/weather like this!?20210920_154023.jpg20210920_162559.jpgScreenshot_20210920-191023_Gallery.jpg

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
US news a few weeks to late for us, had to cancel (for 3rd time) our October NY / Miami / Columbus trip - rebooked for May/June

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
So Ireland have ditched the red list from last night, It makes our red list pointless now as people can just fly from SA/Brazil etc to Dublin and buy a separate ticket to the UK - Dont need to fill in a locator form when travelling from Ireland.

lolz

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here