Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Holiday plans this summer?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Thanks for those 2 replies.

Amber is 'fine' by us but red would kill it. Owner of property where we are staying (reasonably) doesn't want to delay final payment date any longer as i guess it means he misses the opportunity for letting it to a French national or other European.

The sensible thing to do is cancel, but having cancelled each of our last 3 holidays I've become reluctant to the point of being a bit reckless perhaps

France's hospitalisation rate seems to have peaked, by July / Aug they might be OK but I suspect their deaths may climb a bit higher.

In Europe island destinations look best placed Malta, Cyprus, Canaries and some Greek islands

But, really if we are serious about having a normalish Autumn / Winter we should limit International travel for this summer and finally use our geographical advantage as an island nation.

2 weeks in the sun, but at what cost? We have to consider the risk versus the reward...

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I don't need to pay the balance on my Cancun Holiday until mid July, so I'll wait till the end of June to decide whether to cancel or not. However looking at that latest table Mexico is not looking good!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I suspect we won't know a lot more apart from which Countries are "Green" in early May (which is expected to be only a handful of countries that will let us in!) and the next review date isn't until the end of June, which coincidentally is the end date of the current legislation banning International Travel for non essential reasons.

Unfortunately if you want any kind of certainty, your only option is to cancel, otherwise it's just a waiting game where you have to try and ignore speculation!

Oh crikey. I'm early not after certainty but if all that is going to be announced in May is 'green' countries and then next review is June, then I'll bail out now.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
Oh crikey. I'm early not after certainty but if all that is going to be announced in May is 'green' countries and then next review is June, then I'll bail out now.

We still don't know how often they will be updating the Traffic Light System - back end of last year it was 5pm every Thursday for Grant's "FCDO Bullsh1t Bingo".

Predicting what the Gov may do is fraught with danger - Task Force Review was the 12th April, then Boris announced he would update on the 5th April and all he did was say there would be the new Traffic Light System! Then the Task Force published their review on the 9th April and that's as much as we know. Jet2 have suspended operations until the 24th June but other Airlines/Tour Ops are still working towards the 17th May.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Need to pay mine by JUne 10th.....Mexico is not looking to good at the moment..supposed to be going in September

We are supposed to be going late July deferred from last year, not confident it will happen.

May have to wait another year.......

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We are supposed to be going late July deferred from last year, not confident it will happen.

This is my thinking. Something else to consider is what happens if you catch Covid whilst away from home? Someone I know was traveling recently and caught it, then had to stay in a hotel for an extra two weeks before they could leave the country.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
This is my thinking. Something else to consider is what happens if you catch Covid whilst away from home? Someone I know was traveling recently and caught it, then had to stay in a hotel for an extra two weeks before they could leave the country.

We have a stonking deal for the Maldives for Aug that if it weren't such a good deal then we'd be cancelling it. Research with the Resort means that if we test Positive pre departure back to the UK then it's 15 days quarantine in your room and release on Day 16 for the princely sum of £250 per night Room Only. Would need to budget for £100/£150 a day for subsistence (food and drink is pricey out there!) but I'm confident I've found an Insurer that will cover up to £6k for those out of pocket expenses, but I'm not sure they'll pick up the full food and drink cost! Some Insurers will only cover quarantine up to £40 per day - that wouldn't touch the sides!

So if that happens and the Maldives are "Green" a 10 day holiday turns into a 26 day holiday, but if it is "Amber" then pop another 10 days Self Isolation back in Blighty and we'd be away from normality for 36 days!! Still as Mrs B said, she can think of worse places to get stuck in quarantine......

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila

Going to see what is said on May 17th but I think we will probably push it back 6 months.....but good old TUI want £50 per person to change, whereas Virgin have been brilliant and have moved our Barbados holiday several times and free of charge......Thanks as well to Kinky Gerbils

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Going to see what is said on May 17th but I think we will probably push it back 6 months.....but good old TUI want £50 per person to change, whereas Virgin have been brilliant and have moved our Barbados holiday several times and free of charge......Thanks as well to Kinky Gerbils

I have moved holidays cancelled three times so far by TUI and never been charged £50 per person to do this, when was that introduced

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Spain’s looking promising, they’re doing a good job of countering the latest Covid wave. Timely, as they have 83m international visitors a year pre pandemic.

2058B125-5097-4133-BFFB-68561CAA7DD7.png

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Week in the Derbyshire dales in early august and a week in the Lake District the week after...I have all of august off as I have 10 days extra holiday for being at my place for 20 years.

Hope to go to Nerja in Spain in October for a week and possibly look for a villa out there at the same time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here