Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Holiday plans this summer?

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Looks like the BJ may announce relaxation of the quarantine measures today, coming into force 4th July.

Do you have a summer trip abroad planned / are you going to book one now? Or will it be a UK break, or just stay at home?

I'm heading to France on Eurotunnel on the 5th July as I have a friend's Mum with a house out there who wants to get back to it ASAP...

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I have a rearranged Hoseasons narrowboat holiday on the Shropshire Union end of October, the weather should be interesting! I was due originally to be on it at Easter.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
We were meant to be going to Crete at the beginning of June but that obviously got cancelled. I've had the refund and have now booked to go to our friends B&B on the Isle of Wight at the end of August. Not exactly as exotic but it has the advantages of not sharing a plane with others, see our friends and most importantly, giving our friends some very needed income. They only started the B&B last year and this would have been their first full year. They have spent thousands on setting it up and some idiot with a bat goes and ruins it !

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
We were meant to be going to Crete at the beginning of June but that obviously got cancelled. I've had the refund and have now booked to go to our friends B&B on the Isle of Wight at the end of August. Not exactly as exotic but it has the advantages of not sharing a plane with others, see our friends and most importantly, giving our friends some very needed income. They only started the B&B last year and this would have been their first full year. They have spent thousands on setting it up and some idiot with a bat goes and ruins it !

That sounds nice, I like the IOW.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Still fairly hopeful of a holiday in Switzerland in early September, driving there rather than flying.

Then a rearranged UK holiday with in-laws in Bamburgh - beautiful remote beaches north of Newcastle - in late September. Two holidays in a month feels decadent but it's basically a whole years' worth of holiday in one go.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
The missus and our boys were due to fly to Florida at Easter, which was obviously postponed - now due to be going on 17 Aug, but Disney Cruises have just cancelled all their trips through the Summer, and wouldn't surprise me if the flights are still grounded up til then as well. Originally had booked a week in Devon for August, so may end up doing that instead again now...!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I have a rearranged Hoseasons narrowboat holiday on the Shropshire Union end of October, the weather should be interesting! I was due originally to be on it at Easter.

I’ve done a canal holiday in March once...it was The Cheshire ring and we had hail, ice, gales and sunshine during one day...still a great time...ive done the Shroppy too.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
We still have flights booked to go to Andalucia for three weeks from the 1st August, the wife is now booking a car to hire and looking to book the airb&b.
I am not 100% convinced it is the right thing to do, but get overruled on these things, so I guess we will be going.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
BBC news article is suggesting the announcement from Johnson on 4th July easing will be tomorrow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53129845

Yep, they've been saying Tuesday for a while.

We're supposed to be going down to the in-laws in Devon on 4th July. This has been arranged since January. Bit concerned that it will be gridlock on the roads if this coincides with Boris' date.

Forecast is for a week of rain too. :ffsparr:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

We're supposed to be going down to the in-laws in Devon on 4th July. This has been arranged since January. Bit concerned that it will be gridlock on the roads if this coincides with Boris' date.

Yeah that's brutal timing, potentially. You almost want to have a big sign on your car saying "We were ALWAYS going to be travelling on this day."

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
No plans to get on a plane this summer, I'd rather wait and see how that experiment pans out.

Will probably drive to Europe and find a country that has few cases and has decent weather. Expect UK quarantine to be ditched

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No plans to get on a plane this summer, I'd rather wait and see how that experiment pans out.

Will probably drive to Europe and find a country that has few cases and has decent weather. Expect UK quarantine to be ditched

Not sure you'd get caught not quarantining anyway !

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011

Apologies, I'm a day ahead of myself, it is (tomorrow) Tuesday for the announcement. Sounds like you might have to depart early doors on the 4th to beat that traffic!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I’ve done a canal holiday in March once...it was The Cheshire ring and we had hail, ice, gales and sunshine during one day...still a great time...ive done the Shroppy too.

I’ve been doing it every year with the kids since they were young, they are now 25,20 & 16 and still love going with me. I’m hoping to do the four counties ring in a week but it will be tough.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Not sure you'd get caught not quarantining anyway !

Agree, but with a family and kids its a bit more difficult.

For those prepared to take a bit of gamble flights are as cheap as chips, circa £35-40 return to Spain is still possible in August.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here