Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Heat to beat the press and help?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's going to be nice and warm next week and could still be a nice hot summer. We tend to give the ball away when pressed, but that's simply not going to be possible for 90 mins in heat?

Could the weather help us climb even further up the table as we retain the ball and the oppo tires of pressing for it?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's going to be nice and warm next week and could still be a nice hot summer. We tend to give the ball away when pressed, but that's simply not going to be possible for 90 mins in heat?

Could the weather help us climb even further up the table as we retain the ball and the oppo tires of pressing for it?

Probably more to do with my experience of the game, but even right back in the day, I would say 'we always play better in the sunshine'.
I don't imagine there's a single metric that backs that up, what is our winningest month over the last 119 years? :lol:, but as I'm still on a high from Saturday I'm going with it and planning our Europa League 20/21 campaign.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Probably more to do with my experience of the game, but even right back in the day, I would say 'we always play better in the sunshine'.
I don't imagine there's a single metric that backs that up, what is our winningest month over the last 119 years? :lol:, but as I'm still on a high from Saturday I'm going with it and planning our Europa League 20/21 campaign.

There were (Winning) seasons at Withdean when there were monsoons at every home match

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Our passing needs to be MUCH better than the first half if that is top happen. As I said, it reminded me of an early pre-season game as we looked so rusty. On the upside, our intensity in the second half looked much better than our rivals in the bits of games I have watched. Looked less like a friendly when we woke our ideas up whereas Villa and Bournemouth seemed to stroll their way to defeat.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Think by Norwich, most teams will be up to speed and with the drinks breaks and subs it'll be next to no difference.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
There were (Winning) seasons at Withdean when there were monsoons at every home match

Equally the first two matches there were bright sunshine and we did ok in those.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Maybe we do give the ball away sometimes when pressed. But the opposition to press us, is surely what we want. That's why Maty, Webby and Lewis, spending so long knocking it around to each other to tempt them in to us, meaning Mooy et al have space to carry it through the midfield if we do beat the press.

I don't see the heat as the biggest factor. There will be plenty of evening games

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
March 2011?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think our possession stats say we are better against the press than most of the division? For me our problem is more with the counter attacking teams who sit deep. I'm sure it will change but the games I've watched over the weekend very few have pressed for more than a few minutes I presume the match fitness is not there to do it for 90 currently.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
March 2011?

Pretty sure that's right. 8 wins out of 8? Most by 1-0 I seem to recall culminating in a truly dreadful game at Dagenham and Redbridge which I remember fondly for the pre-match curry and the 3 points but little else.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
25 degrees and blazing sunshine for the whole match against Leicester. Could be a real bore this one And I think these conditions will really suit us as Leicester won't be able to press us so much and I don't see as many vardy breaking opportunities.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
25 degrees and blazing sunshine for the whole match against Leicester. Could be a real bore this one And I think these conditions will really suit us as Leicester won't be able to press us so much and I don't see as many vardy breaking opportunities.

Pitch mostly in the shade by 6pm probably ?

Think the hottest I've ever been at a league game was Wolves away last season....it was absolutely baking facing straight into the sun. They were handing out cups of water on the concourse after the game.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Pitch mostly in the shade by 6pm probably ?

Think the hottest I've ever been at a league game was Wolves away last season....it was absolutely baking facing straight into the sun. They were handing out cups of water on the concourse after the game.
Sunset is at 9.20pm so I wouldn't be so sure the pitch would be in shade. Tbh I have no idea though !!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here