Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Season 20/21 Possible Start Date?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Has there been any comment or speculation on the starting date of next season.
The last day of the Premier League is Sunday 26th July.
The Champions League Final is on Sunday 23rd August.

With Euro20 beginning on Fri 11th June 2021 they won't want to delay the season start too much.

Perhaps the second weekend in September?

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
12th September apparently

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
12th September apparently

That would be a 7 week break.
And put them about 5 weeks behind (assuming the normal start date is the first weekend in August).
So I would think they will need to cut something out.

They also have the Euro play-offs to fit in for the international sides at some point.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And put them about 5 weeks behind (assuming the normal start date is the first weekend in August).

They also have the Euro play-offs to fit in for the international sides at some point.

Do they need a 7 week break? If true it seems excessive.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Whether this is the thread to ask does anyone know when the next dd payment is going to be collected after the deferred period.

Edit found my email

Last edited:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

International friendlies will be first on the chopping board, Carabao next. Meaning a lot of tension, between, the PL and the FA and the FL. Someone's cash cow is going to take a hit

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Point is that during the break all the clubs have to get the admin and fixture arrangements ready for the new season.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Just to add into the mix , Europa League qualifiers usually take place in July. Wolves’ first game was 25th July at the beginning of this season. So god knows what would happen with that as well ?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
International friendlies will be first on the chopping board, Carabao next. Meaning a lot of tension, between, the PL and the FA and the FL. Someone's cash cow is going to take a hit

From The Athletic's David Ornstein (22/6/20):

Southgate’s side are set to play eight matches in just over two months this autumn, beginning with Nations League group matches in early September.
England are in group A2 with Iceland, Belgium and Denmark.

Unbelievable Jeff!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Why do they need to cut something out, it is clearly ok with the PL executives to play 2 games a week at the moment, so just carry that on...

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Just to add into the mix , Europa League qualifiers usually take place in July. Wolves’ first game was 25th July at the beginning of this season. So god knows what would happen with that as well ?
Well they are still finishing this year's Europa and Champions leagues in August, so they won't start the next tournaments until that is done.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Why do they need to cut something out, it is clearly ok with the PL executives to play 2 games a week at the moment, so just carry that on...

2 games a week could actually work in our favour. We have a very competitive squad with most substitutions being a like for like replacement or a change of tactics, also none of us can ever correctly predict the starting line up which suggests we have plenty of players of similar ability but differing attributes and strengths. Other clubs are a lot more predictable and them loosing players to injuries or niggles may limit their ability much more than ours.

I'd suggest only Ryan, Dunk & Maupay are players that if we didn't have would leave us a weakened side. Everyone else is a preference pick based on how Potter wants to exploit things

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Hmm...first lot the remaining batch not yet completed makes it quite hard to get my head round anything to do with next season

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I don't understand this at all.

They're all moaning that they are not match fit, so why let them all get match fit, only to stop again.

Why not go straight into the season, with maybe a two week break. Open the transfer window and keep it open to the end of September and plough on. None of this is perfect but to delay further seems a complete nonsense.

Bin the league cup, bin the FA Cup, just for one season, and crack on.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I reckon they won't cut any competition, which given the state of our balanced/competitive squad where we aren't over reliant on many key players, will work massively in our favour.

I don't think the binning the league cup would go down well with lower league clubs, who need the pay days that favourable draws provide. And lets face it, it's the little clubs like Morecambe, Macclesfield and Portsmouth that really need the money to survive.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here