Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Germany's R Rate.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I've been a consistent contributor to the good news thread, with my general opinion being that effective social distancing forces Covid-19 to become something less devastating over time, thus the lack of a second wave in many countries despite the relaxation of lockdowns.

I have to admit though, this headline has been the most jarring yet for my optimism. However, as explained by others already the concept of Germany's R rate being back to levels close to the UK's at peak needs further context; the baseline is low and outbreaks are localised.

I'd file this under 'one to watch'. This doesn't necessarily mean that we are now suddenly doomed to the dreaded second wave (which would be an economic catastrophy), nor should it be dismissed as an insignificant development. Let's see where we are in a week.

I'm not a consistent contributor to the good news thread, but found this to be helpful:

https://plus.maths.org/content/epidemic-growth-rate

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why have they announced it if they don't use it?

I have posted on this before. If one bloke in London has Covid, and he passes it on to one bloke who, two weeks later passes it on to another bloke, the R rate is 1. If that bloke passes it on to 3 people the R rate becomes 3. If only one of those passes it on to one bloke, it drops to 0.3. And so on.

Here are new cases in parts of the world with the most cases. Germany is not even of the graph. Brazil and USA are basket cases - second peak now evident in America.

22 June.PNG

Attachments

• 22 June.PNG
    22 June.PNG
    48.1 KB · Views: 152

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
The US situation is alarming. Brazil has been mismanaged, there’s no doubt about that, but equally it was never equipped for social distancing etc. with its many poor and over-populated favelas.

I don’t really engage in the baiting of Donald Trump, there’s clearly so much wrong with his leadership and yet he appears impervious to just about any scandal. I clearly don’t understand the complexity (or perhaps lack of) of the US political landscape but the country’s mismanagement of this crisis is absolutely criminal.

I use that word very deliberately. If the negligent actions of a leader, particularly actions which place his own interests above those of his people, directly result in the death of hundreds of thousands of people, if not millions, is that not akin to a war crime? The war analogy has been used throughout this situation - you’ll need to convince me that it’s not comparable when it comes to criminal responsibility here.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
There's been a couple of outbreaks in S Korea as well as Germany. I personally think this is more as a result of lockdown easing than a 'second wave'.

That's why I think an efficient track and trace system is critical to the easing of lockdown measures to quickly identify any specific flare-ups. I hope I'm very wrong on this, but I suspect this will be the next area of Gross incompetence from Johnson and his Government, and yet again, they will react too late to prove effective.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There's been a couple of outbreaks in S Korea as well as Germany. I personally think this is more as a result of lockdown easing than a 'second wave'.

That's why I think an efficient track and trace system is critical to the easing of lockdown measures to quickly identify any specific flare-ups. I hope I'm very wrong on this, but I suspect this will be the next area of Gross incompetence from Johnson and his Government, and yet again, they will react too late to prove effective.

Seems to be high-grade incompetence going on in Germany, frankly...

In Germany, federal labor minister Hubertus Heil told German tabloid Bild that he had "pretty much zero" trust in Tönnies. He said that the exploitation of people from Central and Eastern Europe has "obviously" taken place at the company's plants.​

Just perhaps Herr Heil should have been looking at working conditions such as these before now...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

You may not call it a "second wave", but the South Koreans themselves are very much doing so.

Fortunately, their first wave was a mere ripple compared to many, and they seem well placed to deal with those that follow.

A second wave of coronavirus outbreak is already underway in South Korea, according to the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC).

KCDC director Jung Eun-kyeong told a briefing on Monday that the current wave began during the May holiday period.

She said the first wave ended in April after the number of daily new cases decreased to around 10 or below for a number of days before trending very slightly upward in early May.

Jung said it was hard to say whether this was a large-scale outbreak but regional outbreaks were occurring and more are expected.​

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Seems to be high-grade incompetence going on in Germany, frankly...

In Germany, federal labor minister Hubertus Heil told German tabloid Bild that he had "pretty much zero" trust in Tönnies. He said that the exploitation of people from Central and Eastern Europe has "obviously" taken place at the company's plants.​

Just perhaps Herr Heil should have been looking at working conditions such as these before now...

I've no doubt there's incompetence in the German Government too. And if it is high enough grade to result in 50, or 500, or even 5,000 more fatalities than would have happened, I'm sure it will be all over the news with a major investigation.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Just to add ..this is from the bbc website

So far there is no sign that Germany is seeing a second wave of Covid-19, the BBC's Damien McGuinness reports from Berlin. As Germany's overall infection rate is low, these sudden local outbreaks have a big impact on the national R number.
In the past week, 140 local authorities have seen no new cases at all.
Germany is generally considered to have done a good job containing the virus, thanks to widespread testing. The latest confirmed figures show 189,949 people testing positive, and 8,889 deaths - significantly lower than similar sized European neighbours.
The localised outbreaks - such as the Göttingen apartments and Tönnies - have been contained so far and have been attributed to poor living and working conditions.
Because of the Tönnies case the Gütersloh area has risen above 50 new infections per 100,000 inhabitants over seven days - over the limit set by the German authorities to contain the virus.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
You may not call it a "second wave", but the South Koreans themselves are very much doing so.

Fortunately, their first wave was a mere ripple compared to many, and they seem well placed to deal with those that follow.

A second wave of coronavirus outbreak is already underway in South Korea, according to the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC).

KCDC director Jung Eun-kyeong told a briefing on Monday that the current wave began during the May holiday period.

She said the first wave ended in April after the number of daily new cases decreased to around 10 or below for a number of days before trending very slightly upward in early May.

Jung said it was hard to say whether this was a large-scale outbreak but regional outbreaks were occurring and more are expected.​

To add from The Guardian

The Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) on Monday said it had become clear that a holiday weekend in early May marked the beginning of a new wave of infections focused in the densely populated Seoul area.

Coronavirus: the week explained - sign up for our email newsletter
Read more
“In the metropolitan area, we believe that the first wave was from March to April as well as February to March,” the KCDC director, Jeong Eun-kyeong, told reporters.

“Then we see that the second wave, which was triggered by the May holiday, has been going on.”

As of midnight on Sunday, South Korea had reported 17 new coronavirus cases – the first time in nearly a month that daily new cases had dropped below 20.

It was a drop from the 48 and 67 cases reported in the previous two days. South Korea has reported a total of 12,438 cases, with 280 deaths.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Don't know if it's under control but they have certainly pinned it down, only re-introducing some lockdown measures in one of thirteen Towns that make up one of their 16 states. (I'm guessing the equivalent of a small town in UK).

Hopefully, this means they have caught and confined the breakout and will get it back under control quickly :thumbsup:.

As I said above, I think we could see lots of these 'outbreaks' as lockdown measures are eased and it's critical they are identified and closed down quickly.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Don't know if it's under control but they have certainly pinned it down, only re-introducing some lockdown measures in one of thirteen Towns that make up one of their 16 states. (I'm guessing the equivalent of a small town in UK).

Hopefully, this means they have caught and confined the breakout and will get it back under control quickly :thumbsup:.

As I said above, I think we could see lots of these 'outbreaks' as lockdown measures are eased and it's critical they are identified and closed down quickly.

Hardly a small town size unfortunately, from CNN and I've seen these figures on Beeb and elsewhere:

'The state's Prime Minister Armin Laschet announced that the entire district of Guetersloh -- home to more than 360,000 people -- would be locked down for the next seven days.'

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

This is the 4 or 5th localized outbreak. It’s the first to necessitate a full lock down though, the others have resulted in the affected people self-isolating.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here