Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Arsenal disallowed goal

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I actually think the keeper was at fault for the winning goal. If he stayed on his line it would probably been a routine save, as the angle meant it was difficult to score from that position.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Toenail job, I can see why they’d be pissed that it was disallowed. I would have been if the boot had been on the other foot.

We have done remarkably well with VAR decisions this season so far, let’s hope we don’t get screwed over later in the season when it really matters

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Toenail job, I can see why they’d be pissed that it was disallowed. I would have been if the boot had been on the other foot.

We have done remarkably well with VAR decisions this season so far, let’s hope we don’t get screwed over later in the season when it really matters
Na that was an obvious offside at least half a boot

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I still think the rule that the lino can put his flag up and the goal can still count is total bollocks anyway.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Ea9_p9PXkAA2hoS.jpeg

Gooners post match catch up :D

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Interesting no line drawn across pitch. If this is now directive much better as avoids all the how close it was chat

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

But it is wasn’t a VAR decision the Lino gave it and it was confirmed correct.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
MOTD said it was offside , no debate so good enough for me....

But it was close and with the one that hit the bar ...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I thought linos had been instructed not to flag tight off-sides - let the play run, then see what VAR says after ...

It's a technicality, as they should mostly be tight off-sides, but it's actually about the confidence of the assistant in his decision. If he is certain the player is offside he should flag, if he is not certain he shouldn't (of course, the tighter the decision the more likely it is that the assistant is uncertain, but not always). Which really makes you wonder how often the assistants in the past have flagged when they have only suspected it was offside...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Once the flag went up, our defenders seemed to slow down and let the Arsenal player carry on. If the flag going up had been overruled by VAR, would we have any recourse based on the defenders reacting to the flag going up?

No play to the whistle

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
No play to the whistle

You say play to the whistle but anyone who has played football knows if you see the linesman flag go up you stop, and even if you don’t stop completely you’d hesitate ever so slightly and then remember you need to keep going which is unfair.

Goals scored when the linesman puts his flag up simply shouldn’t be allowed, the linesman shouldn’t be putting their flags up unless they are absolutely certain but then the problem arises that I’ve noticed since VAR came in, you have players marginally offside winning a corner but the linesman doesn’t flag because it’s tight but the corner gains the team an advantage they could potentially score from.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here