Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Substitution rule

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
So, I know that the new rule is max of 5 subs out of 9 on the bench but must be done within a maximum of 3 occasions.
Today, we did the following;

46' March for Mooy
71' Montoya for Schellotto & Connolly for Gross
87' Stephens for Trossard
90+4 Mac Allister for Bissouma

So, have I missed something? I've looked up the rule/law and cannot see anything about first half subs not counting.

Did we cheat?
Can anything happen from this if we did?
Why has nobody noticed this?
Should I keep quiet?

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
So, I know that the new rule is max of 5 subs out of 9 on the bench but must be done within a maximum of 3 occasions.

46' March for Mooy

So, have I missed something? I've looked up the rule/law and cannot see anything about first half subs not counting.

Did we cheat?

March on at half time. Doesn't count as one of 3?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

46' March for Mooy

Did we cheat?
Should I keep quiet?

The 'three occasions' does not include half-time.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

46' March for Mooy

Did we cheat?

You cant cheat with substitutions you have to submit what you want to the 4th official in writing. I would guess it was put through as a double substitution but for whatever reason the linesman and 4th official allowed it to go seperately maybe he had to remove jewelry or something like that. Nothing happened when a referee let 12 players on the pitch at a world cup.

Edit: I was wrong about it being a double but point stands about it being incredibly difficult to cheat a substitution

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Ok but the few places I looked up the rule did not mention half time and I was specifically looking for it. Maybe I should have gone to the premier league or fa website rather than the first few google searches...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Ok but the few places I looked up the rule did not mention half time and I was specifically looking for it. Maybe I should have gone to the premier league or fa website rather than the first few google searches...

It wasn't abundantly clear where I looked on the Premier League Website itself, but there was a link to a pdf of the guide: https://resources.premierleague.com...4f69/Premier-League-2019-20-Restart-Guide.pdf and it mentions not including half time on page 6.

EDIT I must be tired, just re-read the web page and it's there: https://www.premierleague.com/news/1681068

New rules on substitutions

Managers can make use of five substitutes during a match, instead of three, in line with the temporary law amendment made by the International Football Association Board.

Teams can also have nine players on the bench rather than seven. But, one manager can make substitutions on only three occasions during a match, not including those made at half-time.

Only three substitutes from one team are allowed to warm up at one time.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The interesting substitution was Eddie Nketiah on 78 minutes. The 4th official was advised of Arsenals intention to bring on him and Kieran Tierney at the same time, the ref stopped the game and Eddie was brought on. Unfortunately Tierney wasn't ready and the ref allowed play to continue. 30 seconds later the 4th official signalled that Tierney was now ready and the ref stopped the game, an Arsenal coach then ran to Tierney and pulled him back saying they no longer wanted to make the substitution followed by Arteta pushing him towards the goal line saying get him on. I assumed this was related to the 3 substitution stoppages but it nearly caught them out. Tierney then returned to warming up and the bench readied Willock and Nelson to make a triple substitution

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
The interesting substitution was Eddie Nketiah on 78 minutes. The 4th official was advised of Arsenals intention to bring on him and Kieran Tierney at the same time, the ref stopped the game and Eddie was brought on. Unfortunately Tierney wasn't ready and the ref allowed play to continue. 30 seconds later the 4th official signalled that Tierney was now ready and the ref stopped the game, an Arsenal coach then ran to Tierney and pulled him back saying they no longer wanted to make the substitution followed by Arteta pushing him towards the goal line saying get him on. I assumed this was related to the 3 substitution stoppages but it nearly caught them out. Tierney then returned to warming up and the bench readied Willock and Nelson to make a triple substitution

They said after the game their was a problem with the paperwork for the Tierney sub which is why it didn't happen at the same time as the Nketiah change. Some of Arsenals bench quickly realised that they'd lose their last two subs if they made the change when the ref stopped the game for a second time.

Was actually great use of the rules by Potter to make a tactical change at half time and still allow himself 3 windows for further changes in the second half. The Mac Allister change was really just a ploy to run the clock down a bit in injury time but worked out brilliantly for us.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
They said after the game their was a problem with the paperwork for the Tierney sub which is why it didn't happen at the same time as the Nketiah change. Some of Arsenals bench quickly realised that they'd lose their last two subs if they made the change when the ref stopped the game for a second time.

Was actually great use of the rules by Potter to make a tactical change at half time and still allow himself 3 windows for further changes in the second half. The Mac Allister change was really just a ploy to run the clock down a bit in injury time but worked out brilliantly for us.

It was actually because Bissouma was dead on his feet (well, dead on his arse, to be more precise).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here