Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If you need help, there’s help out there.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
101 days ago I hit rock bottom, a culmination of stress, anxiety and depression bought on bouts of binge drinking.

At 55 I’d never felt so low, the old saying about a friend in need, is extremely apt, I reached out to Paul Cammillin, a person many of you know on here, he helped me find a clinic which I went to for a period, and 100 days later, I’ve not had a drink and am in good place.

The key is, however bad you think things are ,not being afraid to ask for help, it’s out there, and another apt adage you are certainly not alone.

Thanks to Paul, my family and everyone else who has supported me in the last three months, if anyone reading this on NSC finds themselves in a similar dark place, please PM me and I will give you all the help I can.

Here’s to 3 points tomorrow,

UTA,

Harty

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
101 days ago I hit rock bottom, a culmination of stress, anxiety and depression bought on bouts of binge drinking.

At 55 I’d never felt so low, the old saying about a friend in need, is extremely apt, I reached out to Paul Cammillin, a person many of you know on here, he helped me find a clinic which I went to for a period, and 100 days later, I’ve not had a drink and am in good place.

The key is, however bad you think things are ,not being afraid to ask for help, it’s out there, and another apt adage you are certainly not alone.

Thanks to Paul, my family and everyone else who has supported me in the last three months, if anyone reading this on NSC finds themselves in a similar dark place, please PM me and I will give you all the help I can.

UTA,

Harty

I am pleased you are better now, depression and anxiety hit me on third week of lockdown, the stress of not knowing what is going to happen, with work, health (I am still waiting for test dates for COPD) and home schooling not going well, doing the weekly shop, a friend commiting suicide, another sadly passing from the virus, it all got to me too.
I did not even get out of bed for two days during the day, I just got up to drink in the evenings.
Luckily I pulled myself together and quit the booze train in the evenings and nights, and suddenly after three days of the wobbles, I stopped watching the news, watched more comedy (thank you peep show), and then getting back to work gradually I felt so much better.

As the OP says, speak to someone.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
All the best to you both.

There's always help out there. If you don't know where to start, ask a trusted friend or reach out to NSC if you don't mind a bit of a loss of privacy to your virtual persona. 99% of folk will not judge you, we live in enlightened times.

Very good point about the media news, inherently it focuses on the negative and arguing, imho the emergence of Sky had dragged the BBC down to the same 24-7 antics. The happiest people I know are well aware of events in the world, but somehow naturally limit their exposure to the news to a minimum. There are so many other interests and positive things in life, get well and then make a difference yourself.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house

UTA,

Harty

Stay safe.
UTA

joydivisionovengloves

Aug 10, 2019
N/E Somerset
Sorry to hear about your problems and happy to hear your recovering.
You are so right about reaching out and talking to someone.
A year ago this week a family member attempted suicide and he freely admits now that if he'd spoken to someone as things spiralled the chances of him trying to kill himself would have lessened. Luckily his attempt failed, but don't you be one of the people who succeed.

Talk to a friend, ring Samaritans, go see your doc , DM someone on here, but reach out. There is help out there , there's people who care out there.

Love to all.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patreon
May 3, 2012
Valencia

UTA,

Harty

Big respect for finding the strength to change your situation.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

UTA,

Harty

Brave post. You've done the right thing. Thanks for sharing.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Respect to you for posting that Ian, it takes strength to come on a forum and open up like that. I’m so happy you’re doing better, great news. I wish you all the best.

And kudos to Paul Camillin too; shows what a family the NSC/Albion community can be for each other - outside the Bear Pit of course!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

UTA,

Harty

I owe you an apology.

A few of your posts recently have wound me up, eliciting rude replies. I hope that hasn't added to your burden, and I'm sorry if it has.

I wish you all the best.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I owe you an apology.

A few of your posts recently have wound me up, eliciting rude replies. I hope that hasn't added to your burden, and I'm sorry if it has.

I wish you all the best.

No problems old boy, at times it kept me sane.

Big thank you as well to Warren Aspinall who has really helped and supported me. 👍

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

UTA,

Harty

Good luck Harty , you’re a legend.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

UTA,

Harty

Sorry to hear that Ian, no one is immune to the demons in this world, glad you are in a better place now... mind you, having to watch the Albion sober... I don't think I could do it ! Well done for turning things around and posting the fact that there is help.

Here is a short clip which has stuck with me over time and is very valid, someone who seemingly has everything, as he says " Your pride will kill you "

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

UTA,

Harty

We don’t always agree but well done for asking, well done for seeking help, well done for spreading the word. I’m pleased for you.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You've very much entertained me over the years Harty, be that on the page in the old Gulls Eye days, over the airwaves, and on here. I sincerely hope you're over the worst now and back on an upward curve. You've given some sage advice in your opening post there. Take care chap.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I owe you an apology.

I wish you all the best.

That's a good example of wisdom - sometimes shooting your mouth off without being in possession of all the facts can, on occasions, can make oneself look a fool.
The skill is to put your point or counter-view over without falling into the trap of "rude replies" - you never know exactly what the recipients circumstances are.

A lesson I learn't from an email exchange with my boss about 25 years ago ... say/type what you need to, but keep it civilised ...

fair play HWT for putting your hand up and well done Harty, stay on the wagon fella!

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
One day at a time

Try not to let the good days get to so high that life becomes a bit manic and equally don't let the not so good days get so low that life becomes so dark, as in reality life is seldom that good and never that bad in the words of Winston you just need to keep buggering on.

Just one day at a time.

Most of us have had or will have periods in our lives when things become too much, I know I have and although I am never going to be completely free of my own personal black dog days they are at least manageable I have managed to spot the signs and with the love support of others Life is pretty much middle of the road not to high and not to low and you know what middle of the road is just fine

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here