Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brighton's Best kept secret

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Nicking [MENTION=205]Tom Hark, Preston Park[/MENTION] idea from the Baker Street thread.

What is your best kept secret about Brighton (more obscure the better).

I'll start with the deepest man made well in the world at Woodingdean

https://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/places/utilities/woodingdean-well/woodingdean-well

and something more topical

Foredown Hospital in Portslade was used as an Isolation Hospital for the last outbreak of smallpox in the UK

https://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/places/placecivic/isolation-hospitals/isolation-hospitals-3

(I'll give it 12 posts before it gets sent to the Bear Pit)

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's probably not that obscure but the other day I walked to the Hove Quaff and went home via St Helier's Road. I had completely forgotten Davis Park existed. I had a nostalgic wander round - the last time I'd been there I was probably about 11.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Nicking [MENTION=205]Tom Hark, Preston Park[/MENTION] idea from the Baker Street thread.

What is your best kept secret about Brighton (more obscure the better).

I'll start with the deepest man made well in the world at Woodingdean

https://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/places/utilities/woodingdean-well/woodingdean-well

and something more topical

Foredown Hospital in Portslade was used as an Isolation Hospital for the last outbreak of smallpox in the UK

https://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/places/placecivic/isolation-hospitals/isolation-hospitals-3

(I'll give it 12 posts before it gets sent to the Bear Pit)

Patcham Treacle Mines.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not telling you.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
It's probably not that obscure but the other day I walked to the Hove Quaff and went home via St Helier's Road. I had completely forgotten Davis Park existed. I had a nostalgic wander round - the last time I'd been there I was probably about 11.

Fascinating, please pray tell which way you go to Quaff next time.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Fascinating, please pray tell which way you go to Quaff next time.

Do you want a thread with regular updates? Perhaps the interesting curtains in 11 Portland Villas or the time I will inevitably notice two 13 year olds not social distancing in St Leonards Road. The average age of cars in Worcester Villas based on numberplates? That sort of thing, yeah?

I could add really wanky descriptions of the wine I bought if that helps?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Do you want a thread with regular updates? Perhaps the interesting curtains in 11 Portland Villas or the time I will inevitably notice two 13 year olds not social distancing in St Leonards Road. The average age of cars in Worcester Villas based on numberplates? That sort of thing, yeah?

I could add really wanky descriptions of the wine I bought if that helps?

I think we are worlds apart my friend, it would never work, those kind of things just don't hold my attention span for long....

You live in Hove and shop at Quaff for your wine...

I live in Brighton and shop at the Coop for my spiced rum....

Never the twain shall meet.....

It's almost as if we live in different towns.....

If only something could bring us together.....

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I think we are worlds apart my friend, it would never work, those kind of things just don't hold my attention span for long....

:lolol:

If only I could think of something........

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Tamworth House - 76 Marine Parade.A small hole was the clue which led to the discovery and excavation of a massive tunnel running all the way down to the beach. Once concrete, rubble and general junk were cleared it was clear that something special had been unearthed. The picture speaks for itself really. The lucky owners of the building’s six flats have private access to the tunnel.
Tamworth House is thought to have been built in the 1820s by Charles Barry (later Sir Charles) who went on to build the Houses of Parliament in London and St Peter’s Church in Brighton. The Royal British Legion owned the building from the 1930s until 2004 tamworthhouse01.jpegtamworthhouse02.jpegTamworthhouse03.jpgTamworthhouse04.jpgTamworthhouse05.jpg

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

There's a 700 in 9 minutes: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Bri...!1d-0.168749!2d50.8279319!2m3!5e0!5e1!5e3!3e3

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
When little in the 40's I spent weeks at Foredown Hospital with scarlet fever. Still remember the face of my Mum at the quarantine window. No hugs in those days too. For a little boy it was a scary place.

(I'll give it 12 posts before it gets sent to the Bear Pit)[/QUOTE]

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I may have posted this before, as it has disturbed me for 55 years.

A class mate told me there were secret passages from St Nicholas Church and Easthill House that led under Shoreham Harbour where there was a massive underground complex with submarines and nuclear missiles.

He also told me that his dad had 'titted off' the queen.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Have to admit I didn't know that was there. See also The Patch off Lewes Road above the old railway tunnel.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here