Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How the Amex ranks in Venue Performance Rating

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Quite an interesting read comparing various stadia, including the Amex >>> https://offthepitch.com/a/stadia-to...af930255-0120-4147-b217-c98448f80d4f&wv_name=

Some TL;DR highlights...

The Amex ranks 20th for Experience, doing particularly well for the Internal Venue Experience, but relatively poorly for Features.

In terms of revenue generation, the Amex is down in 46th spot, with a very low Matchday Revenue score but, due to the power of the Premier League, a healthy Broadcasting Revenue contribution.

The final assessment is Impact, ie the "12th man" contribution. The Amex is 34th here. We don't do well for Size, being one of the smaller stadiums scored, but pick up when it comes to Sound, where we score higher than the likes of Old Trafford, St James' Park and St Mary's.

When all these factors are combined, the Amex comes in 34th overall

One stadium not listed in any of the league tables, which list the top 60 in each category, but was reviewed sits along the coast: "Of all the 75 stadiums studied for the new VPR rankings, the lowest scoring, with 25 points, is Bournemouth’s Vitality Stadium."

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
palace's new stand will blow those numbers out of the water.

I for one can't wait to see it on the telly.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The whole thing is completely flawed if Goodison Park appears anywhere in any metric

It's not though, is it?

A c40k capacity Premier League ground for a club with the history of Everton is a money-making machine, like it or not.

Goodison Park can be very loud due to old-stadium roof structures.

I've not looked, but I also imagine Everton have a decent home record over the years.

Everton don't score well for stadium Features, as you'd expect.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Should point put this is not just England!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012
Ha.....our forum was recently debating which English ground was furthest from a private house ( the nights just fly by ) & Brighton got a shout. My feeling was that Falmer station was there before the uni or the stadium, so there must be some houses nearby, though i haven't seen them. What do you think ?

& i think Reading was the decision.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
given its across europe thats pretty good.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
It's not though, is it?

A c40k capacity Premier League ground for a club with the history of Everton is a money-making machine, like it or not.

I've not looked, but I also imagine Everton have a decent home record over the years.

All of that is right. However, I've answered O/T because of my sadness when I visited Goodison with the Albion two years ago. Forty five years following my club and always wanted to go and see them play at Goodison. it was one of the only grounds I didn't manage to get to in the 79-83 period - which in retrospect i should've done because Everton's ground despite it's great history is dirty, decrepit and thoroughly underwhelming. It wasn't even that loud. Mind you - they didn't have much to get excited about that day with a routine 2-0 home win.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's not though, is it?

Everton’s match day income including hospitality and functions/hiring out suites at other times is £26m per annum.

Benchmark that against Liverpool £84m (54,000 capacity) and us £20m.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Ha.....our forum was recently debating which English ground was furthest from a private house ( the nights just fly by ) & Brighton got a shout. My feeling was that Falmer station was there before the uni or the stadium, so there must be some houses nearby, though i haven't seen them. What do you think ?

I should think Chester City runs it close.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I was surprised how well the Amex came out of this to be honest. I love the place and wouldn't swap it. I think it is a fantastic stadium, but the location was always a massive compromise.

It seems that Anfield outscores Old Trafford in every category, which I thought was a little odd. Footballing wise no argument right now, but just on stadium size, I would have expected to see a different result.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Screenshot 2020-06-19 at 15.11.23.png

175 metres to the houses by the station.

Or

Screenshot 2020-06-19 at 15.11.53.png

244 metres to nearest house in Falmer village.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
One stadium not listed in any of the league tables, which list the top 60 in each category, but was reviewed sits along the coast: "Of all the 75 stadiums studied for the new VPR rankings, the lowest scoring, with 25 points, is Bournemouth’s Vitality Stadium."

This concerns me. Bournemouth are used to playing in a stadium with no fans or atmosphere, so they've surely got an advantage now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was surprised how well the Amex came out of this to be honest. I love the place and wouldn't swap it. I think it is a fantastic stadium, but the location was always a massive compromise.

It seems that Anfield outscores Old Trafford in every category, which I thought was a little odd. Footballing wise no argument right now, but just on stadium size, I would have expected to see a different result.

Old Trafford is just a vending machine.

The Glazers have spent next to no money on it, other than squeezing more and more tourist seats.

The natives, such as they are, are kept in place by the fact season tickets haven't had a price rise in years.

Apparently behind the scenes it's even more 'worn out' and is a far cry from the facilities provided by...

...teams like Brighton.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It's not though, is it?

It should be minus for features, it's just four sheds with massive pylons everywhere, awful dump

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
So, The Amex is louder than Selhurst Park?

Don’t tell them that.

:ffsparr:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here