Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Football crowds could return in September, says FA chief executive

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There's some hope...

Dowden explained at the briefing that because of the “outdoor element”, supporters may be able to return sooner to sport than audiences to indoor venues such as theatres.

Bullingham said: “When we look ahead to September, we are hoping we are in a very different situation than we are now as a country, and we hope at some point we can start having crowds back.

“We’re looking at loads of options; we’re even getting people to map out what traffic flows [of spectators] look like in stadia, explore what it could look like with one-metre, two-metre social distancing and so on.”

Plans could include “digital passports” via an app showing that people are not infected with Covid‑19, depending on the government’s testing operation, he said.​

MORE >>> https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...d-return-in-september-says-fa-chief-executive

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sounds fairly positive - could tie in with Melvin Benn's of Festival Republic's (Reading/Leeds, Latitude, Download, Wireless, V Festival) ideas for getting music festivals going again.

I previously heard noises that they were hoping to possibly trial a reduced capacity for the FA Cup final on 1st August if infection rates allowed, not sure if that's too soon. I guess we'll see.

Again there's a question of fairness (i.e. teams possibility disadvantaged by changing capacities throughout a season?), also part of me likes the idea of not going back until it is full capacity, so perhaps first half of season either behind closed doors or reduced capacity, then an extended winter break to allow the players a rest, to prepare for full opening at start of 2021?

Last edited:

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Been reading about this in the papers this morning. Let's hope so. Last night's souless matches emphasised the need for fans to be back at stadiums. I for one can't wait to get back to the Amex whenever next season starts regardless of the division we will be in. Fingers crossed x

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
How will we get to our seats without going ‘inside’?

Will there be outside toilets?

Will we get there in open top buses?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Been reading about this in the papers this morning. Let's hope so. Last night's souless matches emphasised the need for fans to be back at stadiums. I for one can't wait to get back to the Amex whenever next season starts regardless of the division we will be in. Fingers crossed x

Will be an emotional moment to be in a packed Amex once more.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

At the Amex you could open up the gates where they bring the extra goals/other equipment out, September is 3 months away so thinking positively, there’s many things that could happen between now and then, vaccines, effective treatments, virus could die off etc I certainly think there is reason to be hopeful.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
There is still huge amounts of work in tackling the virus to be done before we can achieve this.

My guess is behind closed doors for the rest of the year. Then some sort of 1 in 5 or 1 in 6 who can attend for the rest of the season, assuming there is no major winter second wave.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Also, just getting up and down the stairs and through the concourses.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Just as I had no doubt the season would be concluded, I have no doubt that we'll be back in the ground before the end of this calendar year.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
At the Amex you could open up the gates where they bring the extra goals/other equipment out.

Not a bad shout actually - you could then implement a "one way in, another way out" system for the ground level stands at very least.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
A socially distanced train queue post match would probably have to start in Woodingdean

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
looking beyond Premier League, clubs will be folding if they have no crowds, so there will be strong push for opening up stadiums sooner rather than later.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Suddenly an FA Cup replay against Hartlepool on a wet cold Tuesday night seems quite appealing

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
This is 3 months away- think we will be possibly ready for spectators by then.

Lucky we already have staggered exit from the stadium from 80 mins onwards..

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
September is a huge ask IMHO, and bordering on wishful thinking. 30,000 at the Amex, most crammed onto public transport and maybe one punter in a hundred washing their hands in the gents loos. Second spike just waiting to happen, if not in the Amex then in some other similar sporting stadium. Far too soon

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Been thinking this for a while. Lockdown easing doesn't appear to be having any negative impact so far, the outdoor transmission risk appears to be small, SD likely to be further relaxed etc. Issues won't be watching the game so much but more the transport to/from the ground and the concourses. With continued easing of lockdown measures could easily see first games of the season in September having something like ST holders only allowed in with some seat reallocations to spread the crowd out and reduce concourse density (including away end - no away fans) and turnstiles open earlier to reduce congestion. Having 23k in the whole ground rather than 30k would significantly ease crowding at pinchpoints, pressure and congestion on the transport etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here