Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Hawkeye

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
What I don't get about last night's decision is that Hawkeye are saying their cameras were obscured and couldn't spot where the ball was. This is presumably why we didn't get the usual graphic showing whether the ball was over the line. But the VAR refs can see there is a possible goal - in those circumstances they should be able to check whether Hawkeye has been triggered. If not, they need to make the decision themselves. This is a really simple technological fix. It's basically a failure of the Premier League, who didn't consider what would happen if Hawkeye fails (they must have known it was possible).

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
3 officials on the field and two supporting technologies and still the wrong decision made. A farce really especially in a game with so much riding on it for the two teams involved

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
A right royal balls up. Footballs governing bodies and technical/officiating departments are a disgrace to such a massive and rich sport

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
On another thread someone said VAR is not beig used for the rest of the season. Any truth in this? I will look it up now.

Edit: reported on CNN and in the Mirror that the EPL was given the green light to scrap VAR by UEFA on May 8, and met to discuss this on May 9, but I can't find the verdict....yet

No, all I see is stuff from May 8 that VAR 'could be suspended'. I can only assume it hasn't been :shrug:

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
On another thread someone said VAR is not beig used for the rest of the season. Any truth in this? I will look it up now....

I don't think so (to the question of truth). The announcement of referees for this week's games included VAR referees and VAR assistants, so they must be using it.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
On another thread someone said VAR is not beig used for the rest of the season. Any truth in this? I will look it up now.

Edit: reported on CNN and in the Mirror that the EPL was given the green light to scrap VAR by UEFA on May 8, and met to discuss this on May 9, but I can't find the verdict....yet

No. It's still in use(less)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I've always thought hawkeye was good . . . .in tennis for example . . . . Does the ball not have a sensor in it ? Or is it just cameras and a man with a graphics program making it up ?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
There has been 1 error in how many years?

Its still the best thing we have by a mile.

I see some are blaming the match officials/VAR - why would they doubt a previously perfect system?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
https://www.premierleague.com/news/1680076 (posted on Tuesday)

Wednesday 17 June
MCI 3-0 ARS

Referee: Anthony Taylor (pictured). Assistants: Gary Beswick, Adam Nunn. Fourth official: Martin Atkinson. VAR: Stuart Attwell. Assistant VAR: Stephen Child.

Saturday 20 June
BHA 15:00 ARS

Referee: Martin Atkinson. Assistants: Stuart Burt, Peter Kirkup. Fourth official: Keith Stroud. VAR: Michael Oliver. Assistant VAR: Richard West.

I see some are blaming the match officials/VAR - why would they doubt a previously perfect system?

Because they can see it clearly, like the rest of us, in the video?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So presumably if teams are able to confuse Hawkeye by crowding round the keeper on the line they can now legitimately use this as a tactic?

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Last night was proof that VAR is a complete waste of time and has a detrimental effect on the game as we once knew it , the goal line technology I think is very good and should stay , even with last night's cock up , hopefully lessons will be learned .

But if VAR can't see what we all could see and give the goal what on earth is it for ? Armpit offsides and fingernail handballs , no thanks get rid asap .

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

No, all I see is stuff from May 8 that VAR 'could be suspended'. I can only assume it hasn't been :shrug:

No - there is no truth that there is no VAR.

Some journalists discussed it as a possibility, and this then became popular FACT.

Untrue fact as it turns out.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Farce Sod the technology. Enough people watching screen for VAR to contact ref and say was a goal. Why didnt 3rd official wave flag. To many people dont like making decisions. Including ref although not in line would have seen crossed line.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
https://www.premierleague.com/news/1680076 (posted on Tuesday)

Wednesday 17 June
MCI 3-0 ARS

Referee: Anthony Taylor (pictured). Assistants: Gary Beswick, Adam Nunn. Fourth official: Martin Atkinson. VAR: Stuart Attwell. Assistant VAR: Stephen Child.

Saturday 20 June
BHA 15:00 ARS

Referee: Martin Atkinson. Assistants: Stuart Burt, Peter Kirkup. Fourth official: Keith Stroud. VAR: Michael Oliver. Assistant VAR: Richard West.

Because they can see it clearly, like the rest of us, in the video?

Why would they think the system has failed and the whole ball hasn't crossed line?

There was no reason to doubt Hawkeye - even with images

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
At the very least the ref should have gone to VAR, what harm would that do. Sure the watch didn't go off, but why not check with the VAR team.

If Hawkeye is reliant on cameras and there is a danger that the players could obstruct the cameras, surely officials are aware of this and could therefore have an element of doubt every time it doesn't beep. If that is the case, go to VAR to check.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Capture.PNG

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

There weren't any VAR checks in either of the games so far, were there?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Farce Sod the technology. Enough people watching screen for VAR to contact ref and say was a goal. Why didnt 3rd official wave flag. To many people dont like making decisions. Including ref although not in line would have seen crossed line.

We have seen a similar phenomenon in cricket since the introduction of technology. Umpires less keen on giving no balls as they know the technology will pick that up if there is a wicket. This has a knock on effect of bowlers overstepping more often which is to the detriment of the batting side until such time as there is a possible wicket. VAR changes the game in unintended ways.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
At the very least the ref should have gone to VAR, what harm would that do. Sure the watch didn't go off, but why not check with the VAR team.

I just think the officials had total faith in the technology as, I believe, it had never given a false negative (nor a false positive).

It's very unfortunate it happened in the way it did, but you can be sure that there will be talks to prevent reoccurrence.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
There has been 1 error in how many years?

Its still the best thing we have by a mile.

No technology is foolproof but the VAR would have looked at that and had access to the same images we were seeing directly after the result and should have intervened. Especially given this was hardly a marginal decision

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here