Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] National League promotion.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Seemingly Barrow back in the football league with Kings Lynn and Wealdstone in the N/lge.

My first Albion game, 22 March 1969, Brighton 4 Barrow 1.

Made up for them. Something in my eye.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Been a couple of times just like a few on here no doubt where ever you are take in a game. Cumberland lakes may be your likes,but windswept for football and Workington is like the ground that time forgot !

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Excellent news

They actually finished 3rd from bottom when they got voted out of the Football League

We'll have a Cumbrian Derby next season although 90 miles separate the two towns

Hopefully one day Workington will do it too

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Loved my first visit to Barrow this season ,though it was 31 hours door to door . Great views on the train between Lancaster and Dalton in Furness ,where we stopped for a 4 hour session missed kick off despite being 10 minutes away at 11am . Poured down the stewards turned a blind eye and let us in the seats for nothing . Friendly locals in the ground ,not so outside . Good luck to them i say ,plus a mate got on them at 250/1 .

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
My first Albion game, 27 March 1964 Brighton 2 Barrow 0

Funny old world isn't it, I've always kept an eye on their results, and thought of one day visiting their ground, never got round to it.

and later that year, of course, the great Bobby Smith made his sensational debut for the Albion in a 3-1 win over Barrow at the Goldstone in front of 20,000 of us in Division Four.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
and later that year, of course, the great Bobby Smith made his sensational debut for the Albion in a 3-1 win over Barrow at the Goldstone in front of 20,000 of us in Division Four.

And he signed for us during a school holiday (can't remember which) and I remember going over to The Goldstone to get a glimpse of him (along with about 300 other kids!). Archie Macaulay let us all sit in the West Stand and he brought Bobby out to meet us and sign autographs. And what a season that was with Bobby Smith, ended up as leading goal scorer if I remember and didn't we get promoted, or is my memory going?
Fantastic days. :thumbsup:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Excellent news

They actually finished 3rd from bottom when they got voted out of the Football League

We'll have a Cumbrian Derby next season although 90 miles separate the two towns

Hopefully one day Workington will do it too

Workington,the back of beyond !

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My first Albion game, 27 March 1964 Brighton 2 Barrow 0

Funny old world isn't it, I've always kept an eye on their results, and thought of one day visiting their ground, never got round to it.

Also, your musical taste is very excellent for an old lad. Not prejudiced against anything released after 1976. Like some I could mention:whistle: :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Jesus. Another complete shit hole to visit on my 92 quest.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Loved my first visit to Barrow this season ,though it was 31 hours door to door . Great views on the train between Lancaster and Dalton in Furness ,where we stopped for a 4 hour session missed kick off despite being 10 minutes away at 11am . Poured down the stewards turned a blind eye and let us in the seats for nothing . Friendly locals in the ground ,not so outside . Good luck to them i say ,plus a mate got on them at 250/1 .
I enjoy hearing about your away days brings back memories.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
what a great thread this is... Did Kit Napier score a goal direct from a corner in 1970?

Pretty sure that was at my first game in 69.

After that I assumed it was de rigeur, like a nipper might think about Ali J's overhead smash vs Spuds :lolol:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Yes 2-0 in 1969 where everyone bought a ticket at the turnstyle for the upcoming game against Wolves in the league cup game. 20 thousand in the ground.....Kit must have scored.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
My first Albion game, 22 March 1969, Brighton 4 Barrow 1.

Made up for them. Something in my eye.

That was my first home game. Or rather, the first Albion home game in my lifetime.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That was my first home game. Or rather, the first Albion home game in my lifetime.

Spooky...

spooky.gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here