Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football’s Self-Interest Beats Its Health Interest

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Apologises if fixtures, but I found this piece/rant quite an enlightening read.

Any pretence that players’ health was any driver for professional football’s return lies in tatters. The big-money European leagues have cranked into big-money-making gear. But the small-money leagues have given up on season 2019/20.
England’s Premier League (EPL) starts this week because England’s football broadcasters have said “**** safety, pay me,” like Ray Liotta in Goodfellas. And just as coronavirus has exposed societal inequalities, so it is with England’s Football League (EFL); its biggest-money event, the Championship, restarts next Saturday while its second and third-tier clubs voted “nah, **** that” (I’m paraphrasing), apart from the money-spinning play-offs. Meanwhile players continue to catch the virus.

The timeline of league suspensions was demonstrably money-driven. All seasons below the National League ended on 26th March. The National League stopped on 22nd April. League Two said “enough” on 15th May, League One likewise last week. And Scotland’s Professional League (SPFL) has only just finished with the consequences of its decision to curtail 2019/20. Debates over SPFL reconstruction rumbled on, because certain clubs were ready to increase an already-bloated Scottish professional set-up, when money is at its most premium in that set-up, just to avoid relegation.

More.......

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
dont remember player health being mentioned as a reason.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Paul Barber openly admitted it is about money and business. Any football ‘writer’ coming up with that non-revelation now, is attention seeking.

Without this, TB will have to literally pump in many £10m’s more for this season alone, than he would’ve anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here