Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The two games tonight ( 17 Jun )

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Just a thought....why are these four clubs starting ahead of everyone else? I know its their game in hand but I would have thought, that after 3 months off and starting in rather unfamiliar circumstances, it would have been fairer to all clubs if there had been a level start i.e no teams getting a chance to ' acclimatise ' quicker than others. These games in hand could have been played later. At the weekend, four clubs ( who play these four ) are clearly going to be disadvantaged. They will have had a good workout already and clearly be ' match tuned ' better than others. Maybe others don't see it as an issue. I just think that 3 months is a long time without playing in match conditions.
( And please....no jokes about us being fresher than Arsenal )

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Just a thought....why are these four clubs starting ahead of everyone else? I know its their game in hand but I would have thought, that after 3 months off and starting in rather unfamiliar circumstances, it would have been fairer to all clubs if there had been a level start i.e no teams getting a chance to ' acclimatise ' quicker than others. These games in hand could have been played later. At the weekend, four clubs ( who play these four ) are clearly going to be disadvantaged. They will have had a good workout already and clearly be ' match tuned ' better than others. Maybe others don't see it as an issue. I just think that 3 months is a long time without playing in match conditions.
( And please....no jokes about us being fresher than Arsenal )

I think the rationale behind it is if it should all go belly up tomorrow then everyone will have played the same number of games with a view to ppg.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Tough one. Certainly worth starting a full thread. Is it because it's their game in hand and squares up the division before the full restart?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It evens up the table, and potentially gets Liverpool to within 1 game of the title.

So if they need to call it all off after the weekend matches then it makes things easier.

However, it doesn't now look like they will need to shutdown again just yet.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It's for a couple of reasons, firstly as others have mentioned it brings the number of games played by each club into line. Secondly there really aren't any other dates available to reschedule games into with 3 of the 4 teams involved in tonight's games still being in the FA Cup.

There are games every weekend and midweek until the current end of the season except for midweek between the last two weekends (18th and 25th July), which I am guessing will be used to play games postponed from the weekend of the 18th July as that is also the date for the FA Cup Semi Finals (this could effect our game on the 18th as we are due to play Newcastle who could be potentially be playing in the semis).

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Looking positively from our point of view Arsenal could pick up an injury or red card. Also they must have some players that can’t play two games in 4 days.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’m not ‘up’ on this pre-recorded crowd chant business that you might be able to select via some broadcasters.

However, I’d be more than happy to hear boos when the Lockdown breaking-illegal partying-drink driving-car crashing-accident fleeing-scumbag Grealish gets the ball this evening.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Couldn't resist a bet on English football at long last :thumbsup:

tonight.JPG

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
All I can say is come on Sheffield United do us a favour please.

Yep, suddenly its a crunch match for us in less than 3 hours. Hopefully Villa haven't improved, they've been sh1t this season

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Spreading the games out throughout the week will generate more cash for the broadcasters via increased advertising time.

I would imagine they would be happy with 2-3 games a day, one after the other, 7 days a week.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Makes sense evening up games played and then 9 game weeks to end the season. Saves the problem of average points as mentioned already

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here