Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just how awful is this government? June 2020 edition

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I have no idea how to reply to separate quotes so will give it a go here:

My reply was in response to a post about qualifications understanding politics and Corbyn. I also tried to keep it on track by posting about the current government.

Corbyn's chief advisers came from the CPB - who decided not to run candidates against him. All have written for The Morning Star a communist newspaper. Praising North Korea and defending East Germany
His Chancellor in waiting described himself as a Marxist.
His Shadow Home Secretary said Mao did 'more harm than good'
Corbyn had close connections with the USSR party machine
Under his leadership the Labour Party called for private education to be criminalised
He supported the appropriation of private wealth to be confiscated and used for the 'common good'
Supported 'People's Quantitative Easing' - an economically illiterate policy that would have dramatically increased risk and was prohibited under EU law.
A Labour Government would have compelled private companies to redistribute £300 bn. worth of shares
At the election he promised Broadband Communism
Called for NATO to be disbanded
Described the father of Communism as a 'great economist'
Constantly sided with USSR / Russia on his world view.
Claimed the Kosovan genocide never happened, in agreement with many Communist sympathisers.
Supported that any money generated above a £500 annual dividend would end up in the pockets of the Labour government, making it a massive stealth tax

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck

MA in Politics. That's hilarious. You've cut-and-pasted that, haven't you?
Just to test you on one of those claims, here's two questions relating to it:
1, give us a brief (just a couple of sentences, not cut-and-pasted) description of the history of communism
2, regarding 'great economists', name who you think the top five are.

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
I didn't but then again we will not have a choice of USA president either

That's because we've never been part of the USA Democratic system, but we were supposedly of the EU.
So why conflate the two?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Many people are just happy to be returning to some sort of normality, thankful the government stepped up to help out businesses and cover peoples wages when it really mattered. I really don't know what more the government can do considering the circumstances.

I agree that the furlough scheme has been excellent, but hopefully you might be able to recognise that being in government isn't about making one good decision, and then sitting back and taking the credit for it, particularly during the worst crisis in my lifetime.
Do correct me if I'm wrong on this though :thumbsup:

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
I personally have no problem with the current government probably marginally better than what we've had in recent times.

But, if you don't like this government, and you wish it wasn't so, and if you also were also in the "lets try to block Brexit", "it was advisory", "let's vote again" club, then you only have yourselves to blame. You did more to get this government elected than even the most effective conservative party activist.

Yep, who would have expected brexiteers to blame everyone else. Im sure they will be 'blaming' a lot more over the next few years

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
Well for what it's worth it really is a horrible train wreck watching from afar how the country is destroying itself. I never left England because I didn't like it, I left for adventure, but i'm bloody pleased I don't live there any more and doubt I ever will. Good luck folks.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Well for what it's worth it really is a horrible train wreck watching from afar how the country is destroying itself. I never left England because I didn't like it, I left for adventure, but i'm bloody pleased I don't live there any more and doubt I ever will. Good luck folks.

i left England in 86 and didn't go back for 9 years , since then have been back to see my parents who are now both gone ......the place really has taken a dive in the last 7/8 years , when you live there it's a gradual decline so you don't notice it but when you return periodically the decline is just staring you in the face ......i'm not necessarily talking about sussex although the lack of respect shown by the youth towards their elders is disgusting and i believe a huge part of the problem , drugs , homeless , general squalor ....part of London and the north are absolute shit holes now......at least you always had your football and a pint of decent beer in a lovely country beer garden , until they even managed to take that off you .....really quite sad .

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
Yes mate I hear you. I left in 2005, thought i'd be gone 6 months to a year but I do love it when I go back to see family and friends though. I try to go back fairly often to keep my children in touch with that part of their family and culture but I wouldn't want to raise them there. The social decline is pretty glaring isn't it, the blatant rise in homelessness and generally fckt up people around towns in particular is really sad.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Yes mate I hear you. I left in 2005, thought i'd be gone 6 months to a year but I do love it when I go back to see family and friends though. I try to go back fairly often to keep my children in touch with that part of their family and culture but I wouldn't want to raise them there. The social decline is pretty glaring isn't it, the blatant rise in homelessness and generally fckt up people around towns in particular is really sad.

yep , heartbreaking really , in such a short time too.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I spent quite a bit of time in 2018 and 2019 touring the EU (part of a little project of mine to visit all the other 27 countries before we left - just about managed it thanks to the extensions!). I mainly tried to avoid tourist traps, and quite often got to see what you might call the "authentic" parts of most countries (whatever that might mean). It was clear to me that we are gradually, almost imperceptibly, falling behind most of our European neighbours. It's mainly visible in the infrastructure, but also just in the way people live. A few countries were very notably much poorer - Bulgaria, Romania, Slovakia. But generally I returned to the UK thinking "blimey, we've got a lot to learn".

Unfortunately I think the average Brit takes very little interest in what's happening outside the UK, and readily laps up the propaganda that the government dishes out. Let's not kid ourselves - there aren't many areas where we can genuinely say we're "world class" - and most of those will be critically undermined post-Brexit. It's all very depressing.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I spent quite a bit of time in 2018 and 2019 touring the EU (part of a little project of mine to visit all the other 27 countries before we left - just about managed it thanks to the extensions!). I mainly tried to avoid tourist traps, and quite often got to see what you might call the "authentic" parts of most countries (whatever that might mean). It was clear to me that we are gradually, almost imperceptibly, falling behind most of our European neighbours. It's mainly visible in the infrastructure, but also just in the way people live. A few countries were very notably much poorer - Bulgaria, Romania, Slovakia. But generally I returned to the UK thinking "blimey, we've got a lot to learn".

Unfortunately I think the average Brit takes very little interest in what's happening outside the UK, and readily laps up the propaganda that the government dishes out. Let's not kid ourselves - there aren't many areas where we can genuinely say we're "world class" - and most of those will be critically undermined post-Brexit. It's all very depressing.

I've not done all, but can tick Italy, France GErmany Belgium, NEhterlands and in contrast Romania as places I've worked and stayed/lived albeit temporarily, and I completely agree, we are are slowly sinking and drowning in our own perceive smugness., we are definitely world class at that. What I still don't understand is how/why other countries still have any admiration and respect for us.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I've not done all, but can tick Italy, France GErmany Belgium, NEhterlands and in contrast Romania as places I've worked and stayed/lived albeit temporarily, and I completely agree, we are are slowly sinking and drowning in our own perceive smugness., we are definitely world class at that. What I still don't understand is how/why other countries still have any admiration and respect for us.

it's all to do with that 4 square miles in the centre of London......also large parts of Europe are "catching up " because of the millions of euros being donated to the cause by the major EU players ie .UK & Germany....surely you can spot the deliberate faux pas.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
i left England in 86 and didn't go back for 9 years , since then have been back to see my parents who are now both gone ......the place really has taken a dive in the last 7/8 years , when you live there it's a gradual decline so you don't notice it but when you return periodically the decline is just staring you in the face ......i'm not necessarily talking about sussex although the lack of respect shown by the youth towards their elders is disgusting and i believe a huge part of the problem , drugs , homeless , general squalor ....part of London and the north are absolute shit holes now......at least you always had your football and a pint of decent beer in a lovely country beer garden , until they even managed to take that off you .....really quite sad .

Nothing has changed except that you are older and more crotchety.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia

We've also had decades of the right wing press telling us nothing is our fault and it's all down to those dastardly brussels beaurocrats. The passprt issuse is like the English problem in microcosm. Hark back to a mythical idealised past ( seriously who the **** cares what colour the passports are?). Claim the eu is the problem , despite the fact we could have changed the colour at any time. When we make the change, outsource production overseas and end up with the wrong colour so no ones satisfied. It's a mess of our own making and symptomatic of a country unwilling to learn from others.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
it's all to do with that 4 square miles in the centre of London......also large parts of Europe are "catching up " because of the millions of euros being donated to the cause by the major EU players ie .UK & Germany....surely you can spot the deliberate faux pas.

Are you seriously suggesting that the UK's net contribution to the EU (which amounted to less than one tenth of one percent of the EU's GDP) is responsible for the rest of the EU "catching up"? (or perhaps you were being ironic - if so, apologies)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We've also had decades of the right wing press telling us nothing is our fault and it's all down to those dastardly brussels beaurocrats. The passprt issuse is like the English problem in microcosm. Hark back to a mythical idealised past ( seriously who the **** cares what colour the passports are?). Claim the eu is the problem , despite the fact we could have changed the colour at any time. When we make the change, outsource production overseas and end up with the wrong colour so no ones satisfied. It's a mess of our own making and symptomatic of a country unwilling to learn from others.

im always confused by the passport thing, why didnt someone from pro-EU side simply change the passport colour and squash the arguement?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Are you seriously suggesting that the UK's net contribution to the EU (which amounted to less than one tenth of one percent of the EU's GDP) is responsible for the rest of the EU "catching up"? (or perhaps you were being ironic - if so, apologies)

well by figures taken from 2018 germany was at 21 % france 16% uk & italy 12 % each .....of total contributions so i'm not sure what you're saying tbf. 4 members accounting for 60% of total contributions....good eh..?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The Government have now decided to abandon the “World beating “centralised tracking app and move to decentralised Apple/Google app like the majority of the rest of the world

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here