Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just how awful is this government? June 2020 edition

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
For too many years we've been giving taxpayers money (which is really yours and mine) to strange causes. We send aid to India - except that they've got their own space programme. We've equiped all sorts of strange dictators with state of the art palaces and aeroplanes. Boris is right about the 'great cashpoint in the sky' - we're the mugs who pay for it all and for too long this nonsense has gone on. Sure we should send aid to people who need it - Zimbabwe and South Africa are good examples where British aid is helping - but there needs to be a careful look at who receives aid from the UK and who really needs it.

And Johnson and his party have also handed out £100bn tax breaks and giveaways to super-rich donors. Fun times eh?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I enjoyed this afternoons Commons debate on the merger of DfID with the FO, where virtually every opposition MP made reference to Johnson's remarkable attention to detail.

Then another high point at the press conference, where the man who said only last week he was taking control, admitted that he hadn't heard of the Marcus Rashford campaign until this morning, completely forgetting that he was asked by Keir Starmer only last Wednesday at PMQs about the need to provide vouchers during the school holidays, and gave a clear 'we're not feeding the kids' message.

And of course playing dumb again on the question on why the drug they were talking up as a break through was on the banned list of exports. No doubt hoping that this question isn't asked again so that there is no need to answer it.

At least Johnson can look forward to PMQs tomorrow.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
And of course playing dumb again on the question on why the drug they were talking up as a break through was on the banned list of exports. No doubt hoping that this question isn't asked again so that there is no need to answer it.

why is that a bad thing?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
We are now. You see, they have a bigger armed force than all the rest put together, the biggest nuclear arms capability, the worlds reserve currency. At the moment we are 'in the tent pissing out', even if its just to serve our masters canapés.
So if we all accept the assertion, what's the alternative to Uncle Sam?

Uncle Xi?!!
Uncle Uncle Vladimir?!!
Uncle Mohammed?
Not me, I'll stay with the waiters gig.
There's always a Billy Big Spuds - we were he 120 years ago, and who is next we'll have to wait and see......but there will be a new one sometime, be sure of that.

Sadly we just left the alternative

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I bet they're laughing atm, everyone's too busy killing each other to worry what they're doing.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I worked on a project for an international NGO 20 years ago. I was told at the time that aid from the UK government was often conditional. If they took it they could help certain groups and not others. This was apparent during the Balkan conflicts.

So today, if anything, is successive governments finally being honest in the end.

I never quite knew why Farage used to bang on about overseas aid. Such benevolence is often connected to policy aims.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I worked on a project for an international NGO 20 years ago. I was told at the time that aid from the UK government was often conditional. If they took it they could help certain groups and not others. This was apparent during the Balkan conflicts.

So today, if anything, is successive governments finally being honest in the end.

I never quite knew why Farage used to bang on about overseas aid. Such benevolence is often connected to policy aims.

What the Government is changing is the oversight previously our Government had to adhere to EU law, where foreign aid to third countries was overseen by the EU scrutiny who had the power to reduced or discontinued, wholly or partially any aid, if such countries failed to respect international law, human rights, and the rule of law. The European Parliament possesses the right to scrutinize any development assistance financed by the general budget of nation states.

This opens up trade for aid, arms for aid all good for the bank balance but makes the giving of aid from yours and my taxes totally immoral

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It's going worse than I expected, and my expectations were hardly high. And it's only going to get worse.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
There were literally no choices at the last election - Johnson won playing the Brexit card.

Unfortunately he has been utterly abysmal as a leader at pretty much everything else and has been shown up as woeful during this pandemic. I do agree though that a dithering Corbyn may actually have been even worse.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I will say one thing in Boris' defense, as we have some similarities, uncoordinated, bumbling, oaf-like, incoherent, unruly (but glorious) hair.

As I'm also not qualified for the job of PM I too would have to crawl over 100's of careers just to get the top job.

Should I have managed that, (thanks in no small part to the Labour Party), and I had been PM since December, the country would still be broke now - so be fair it's not easy being Boris.

Sure we'd be broke because no child would be hungry, homeless.
All NHS staff would be completed protected.
Everybody will be working a 4 day week.
Everyone will have to own a puppy.
Mental Health and Social Care providers would be over funded.
Free ice cream for all.

But those are just semantics, which I'm sure Boris will get round too eventually.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The frustrating thing is Labour finally have a leader with real stature and credibility, yet he'll have to wait until 2024 to get a shot at running the country.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I'm heartily sick of these threads. Same old suspects having a pop at the same old suspects. Who knew a left right poll would veer sharp left on NSC? I know - I don't have to read them, but everyone picks a spot sometime.

Any chance of a bear pit review within an hour of posting every new thread?

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
67404881_10157089675535353_561371187867811840_n.jpg

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here