Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] BBC2 starting now - 2004 England v Croatia euro finals

Jimmy Grimble

Of all the recent major tournaments, that is the one we really should’ve gone onto win. Quite galling watching this back and knowing what was to come, actually.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think I will put a Bet on England to win 4 - 2 - Probably get a decent price for a score like that

Jammy, you won.

I watched the entire match today. A few things stood out .... England could really play a great passing game, Croatia surprisingly relying on set pieces and crosses to giants, and diving/simulation/cheating was nowhere near as insipid as it is in football now.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Rooney was incredible. I actually think he peaked in this tournament at only 18.

He did. It's amazing to think that he finished his career (or is finishing it) as all time top scorer for both England and Manchester United, neither of which is a mean feat, won every English domestic trophy plus the Champions League and yet is considered to have underachieved.

I think the point is that Euro 2004 suggested he had Messi or Ronaldo type potential, but never quite became that big. It's easy to say that their mentality was the difference, but you've never really seen Messi or Ronaldo shagging grannies or driving pissed up round Wilmslow.

Shame. Rooney was a great player who had a great career - there'll always just be that sense of 'what could have been'.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Jammy, you won.

I watched the entire match today. A few things stood out .... England could really play a great passing game, Croatia surprisingly relying on set pieces and crosses to giants, and diving/simulation/cheating was nowhere near as insipid as it is in football now.

Fast forward 14 years to the 2018 World Cup and England relying on set pieces and Harry Kane Rolling all over the floor

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He did. It's amazing to think that he finished his career (or is finishing it) as all time top scorer for both England and Manchester United, neither of which is a mean feat, won every English domestic trophy plus the Champions League and yet is considered to have underachieved.

I think the point is that Euro 2004 suggested he had Messi or Ronaldo type potential, but never quite became that big. It's easy to say that their mentality was the difference, but you've never really seen Messi or Ronaldo shagging grannies or driving pissed up round Wilmslow.

Shame. Rooney was a great player who had a great career - there'll always just be that sense of 'what could have been'.

Plus he was a smoker (in the closed season).

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Absolutely. It sounds ridiculous to say it about England’s and Man Utd’s record scorer but he was incredible at 18. The most exciting player I’ve ever seen at that age, more so than Messi and Ronaldo at 18 and he never quite matched it again.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here