Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Drinks break each half of games wtf

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It’s probably sensible given that we’ll be playing in (hopefully) hot weather.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
We had them at a world cup previously. Playing in warmer weather than usual, it's a sensible precaution for player safety.

They'll each have their own bottle due to covid precautions.

Yoda

English & European
I can only assume it's linked to this:

there must be "no spitting or nose clearing"

If they are not allowed to spit or clear their throat, they will require an extra break to try and wash down the extra build up of mucus.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Whats your problem with this?

The greatest thing about football is how the game flows. It is not bogged down by multiple restarts because of a plethora of scoring events, it is not halted by time outs, no need for wasting time creating line out and scrums (there is other time wasting I know), the game is not broken up into quarters blah, blah, blah.

Rugby, both codes, American Football and Aussie rules are high scoring games where each point has very little significance, but the flow is constantly disrupted and brought back to the middle. The beauty of soccer is watching the game ebb and flow with as little interruption as possible. This is being eroded by constant petty rule changes of which this is just another addition.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
The greatest thing about football is how the game flows. It is not bogged down by multiple restarts because of a plethora of scoring events, it is not halted by time outs, no need for wasting time creating line out and scrums (there is other time wasting I know), the game is not broken up into quarters blah, blah, blah.

Rugby, both codes, American Football and Aussie rules are high scoring games where each point has very little significance, but the flow is constantly disrupted and brought back to the middle. The beauty of soccer is watching the game ebb and flow with as little interruption as possible. This is being eroded by constant petty rule changes of which this is just another addition.

Quite so but they are limited to 1 minute max which is probably less time than the average substitution takes.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
With substitutions only being allowed at specific times, what is to stop a player feigning injury to be substituted outside the specified times?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

There's a significant 2-3 minute stoppage in most games I'd say, especially now they've brought in VAR.

What would be sensible would be if the refs exercise a little flexibility - i.e. if there's an injury/VAR stoppage on 20 mins, that's also the drinks break.

Disagree on Aussie Rules by the way - I think it's one of the most flowing sports out there. Lose a bit of time after a goal for the ruck, but probably not much more (if not less) than what it takes to line up a free kick or sometimes even a corner in football.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Commercial break for TV broadcasters which the PL will be keen to extend to 5 minutes to boost revenue when they next sell the TV rights

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I can only assume it's linked to this:

If they are not allowed to spit or clear their throat, they will require an extra break to try and wash down the extra build up of mucus.

They'll still do it though, it's an instinctive thing. They're sportsmen, not robots

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
It’s going to be like USA 94 all over again- Jack Charlton sweating under a baseball cap, throwing plastic bags of water on to the pitch for the players!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here