Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bear /Snake Pit Now....

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Generally supportive but there's an obvious incentive for those who don't like a particular user or topic being discussed or even the way it is being discussed to binfest a thread early doors to get it moved off the mainboard .. a recent Mouldy Boots thread springs to mind. Hopefully, the Mods will keep an eye on this ..

Maybe you should pop over there to defend the Mouldy Boots race fishing thread that springs to your mind, in situ.

Or perhaps it was another entirely different thread you were referring to :lolol:

I have to say even I'm disappointed in what you are now posting, and as you know, I never held you in particularly high esteem.

Last edited:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Good move is the Bear Pit. Too many on here when discussing politics for example, far too aggressive when answering someone with different opinion.and resort to personal insults.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The threads haven’t disappeared - they’ve just been moved. If people want to participate in them then there is nothing stopping them. If loads of NSC users wanted to engage in the threads on the BP then the user numbers on that bit of the board would reflect that. But at the moment the numbers suggest just a handful of people want to. So no censorship or curtailing of free speech. Just market forces and people voting with their feet I guess.

Exactly. At the risk of repeating [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION] thread that unfortunately led the voice of reason (self appointed) to threaten physical violence, here are the results from the Brighton jury.

BP figures.JPG

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Whilst I really don't wish to be rude - live and let live and all that and you are not on my ignore list which lies empty since BG passed away - when I see your name by a post I expect some sort of left wing, anti-government, political moan or other. That may be unjustified and sorry if it is, but I'm very happy to see an imperfect bear pit as a start. I'm not tarring you with all these brushes all the time, but I'm pleased politics (by which NSC means anti-Tory, love Starmer) is consigned to the outer reaches. Give me HWT and his unremittingly obscure musical tastes mixed with a bit of footie any time.

I do football, politics, music, and food/drink, but not too much else on here, which are my broad interests. I suspect the association you have of me with politics might come from the username, but it might also come from the fact that there hasn't been too many opportunities to discuss three of those over the past three months or so.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Generally supportive but there's an obvious incentive for those who don't like a particular user or topic being discussed or even the way it is being discussed to binfest a thread early doors to get it moved off the mainboard .. a recent Mouldy Boots thread springs to mind. Hopefully, the Mods will keep an eye on this ..

Conservative Campaign Headquarters has gone through many changes since 1871 - name changes, office moves, recessions, wars, leadership challenges and changes of PM, Tory MP's passing away due to auto-erotic asphyxiation, etc - I do appreciate this is an unheralded time for you all, but I feel sure you'll survive, adapt and come through it - lets face it Footy Genius you survived Iain Duncan-Smith as leader so I'm sure you'll be able to cope with this. Chin up. :thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I honestly don't think there's anything ambiguous at all about

Sub-forum for discussions which are either likely to turn toxic or have turned toxic. Typically these threads are politically-focused and involve a small group of people getting angry with each other, whilst absolutely no-one will attempt to see the other side, nor change their perspective.

If NSC ever produces a political thread where people discuss the issue without resorting to whataboutism, insults and settling old scores then it'll stay on the main page, exactly as per that definition. Unfortunately, there are a small but noticeable sub section of users who are unable to do so.

Grandstanding against the Tories (possibly hundreds of threads over recent years, started by the same characters) with everyone from Amber Rudd to Cummings spoken of with in a barely veiled and charmless bitterness. Never anything positive said, accepted, admitted. Party political class war, most probably fuelled by losing the EU cause.

Countered by a surprisingly resilient, often nasty right wing bunch including most probably racists and homophobes. But after past bans, generally very worldly wise on avoiding bans.

In the end the Main Board and New Posts were drowning in the above. It’s easy to say don’t open those threads, but most new posts were often political, impossible to miss. A few dozen characters controlled the NSC mood music, with football, music etc a distant second. NSC used as an echo chamber by both sides.

I know young and more senior longterm members, who completely gave up on NSC, purely because of the dominant politics. Not everyone lives and breathes party politics, wakes up every day having to hate anyone right of the LibDems or left of the Tories. In the real world Remainers and Brexiteers often get on.

It’ll be fantastic if [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] maintains this dichotomy for good, with the mods actively policing the Main Board to shift to The Bear Pit all politically divisive and Brexit threads, along with stirring right wing OP threads that invariably start with a link to the Daily Mail.

Those rows will continue in The Bear Pit, with the vast majority visiting NSC for positive debates or for help. It’s interesting how Bear Pit posts are so low in number ..... has the lost opportunity to grandstand killed the attraction?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Exactly. At the risk of repeating [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION] thread that unfortunately led the voice of reason (self appointed) to threaten physical violence, here are the results from the Brighton jury.

View attachment 125286

Some looonie threatened to duff me up? ???

Hold me back! :ohmy:

:clap:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I do football, politics, music, and food/drink, but not too much else on here, which are my broad interests. I suspect the association you have of me with politics might come from the username, but it might also come from the fact that there hasn't been too many opportunities to discuss three of those over the past three months or so.

You're probably right. Particularly about the mix of user name and recent times. Funnily enough, I've started to find The Clamp's username and Avatar a little intimidating of late, nothing to do with his posts at all. I think I've been locked down too long!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
You're probably right. Particularly about the mix of user name and recent times. Funnily enough, I've started to find The Clamp's username and Avatar a little intimidating of late, nothing to do with his posts at all. I think I've been locked down too long!

That's kind and, yes, it's difficult to know how to act given that we're being pulled in different directions (the novelty of dealing with a pandemic; the desire that you articulate to do things like going to the Amex; and, how to respond to the evolving situation with the pandemic). Where we might differ is I reject the binary that you put (as an example, see: Johnson vs Starmer), and that I'm particularly prone to criticise any government, but especially those that are offering multiple opportunities.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
That's kind and, yes, it's difficult to know how to act given that we're being pulled in different directions (the novelty of dealing with a pandemic; the desire that you articulate to do things like going to the Amex; and, how to respond to the evolving situation with the pandemic). Where we might differ is I reject the binary that you put (as an example, see: Johnson vs Starmer), and that I'm particularly prone to criticise any government, but especially those that are offering multiple opportunities.
In that case, I apologise. To be honest I only dip in to the Bear Pit type threads from time to time and it's easy to misread a context in just the odd fleeting visit.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
In that case, I apologise. To be honest I only dip in to the Bear Pit type threads from time to time and it's easy to misread a context in just the odd fleeting visit.

I really don't think I warrant an apology and, yes, reading the odd post in a long thread (which is completely understandable) can proved difficult to appreciate how that thread is evolving.

Last edited:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Conservative Campaign Headquarters has gone through many changes since 1871 - name changes, office moves, recessions, wars, leadership challenges and changes of PM, Tory MP's passing away due to auto-erotic asphyxiation, etc - I do appreciate this is an unheralded time for you all, but I feel sure you'll survive, adapt and come through it - lets face it Footy Genius you survived Iain Duncan-Smith as leader so I'm sure you'll be able to cope with this. Chin up. :thumbsup:

As previously stated I am generally supportive of this move so yes I will cope but the real question is will self-identifying class warriors/corbynista fanboys who have undisputed expertise in daytime drinking be able to adjust to the brave new world on NSC? :D

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
As previously stated I am generally supportive of this move so yes I will cope but the real question is will self-identifying class warriors/corbynista fanboys who have undisputed expertise in daytime drinking be able to adjust to the brave new world on NSC? :D

In a word, yes. Unlike you I'm normal, you however have admitted/confessed previously to drinking Pimms. Out of me and you Footy Genius, only one of us has a drink problem and it 'aint me. Fortunately for you, I'm really nice so I'm not going to take the **** out of you like some people would. I don't expect you to be able to drink 6 pints of Guinness in a pub without the need to urinate like I can, but Pimms. :facepalm: Go away.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
In a word, yes. Unlike you I'm normal, you however have admitted/confessed previously to drinking Pimms. Out of me and you Footy Genius, only one of us has a drink problem and it 'aint me. Fortunately for you, I'm really nice so I'm not going to take the **** out of you like some people would. I don't expect you to be able to drink 6 pints of Guinness in a pub without the need to urinate like I can, but Pimms. :facepalm: Go away.

My dear MoS if you think being 'normal' is or ever was a plus/positive you are even further gone than I thought. A self-identifying class warrior/corbynista makes you part of a very, very special group of abnormal people ... embrace your difference.:thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My dear MoS if you think being 'normal' is or ever was a plus/positive you are even further gone than I thought. A self-identifying class warrior/corbynista makes you part of a very, very special group of abnormal people ... embrace your difference.:thumbsup:

Corbynista? ???

Pull up your knickers and make me a cup of tea.

Starmer sacked Wrong Bailey today. I expected it might take longer, given the 'ooh look, sea change, what will momentum do?' but she walked into the trap. And momentum are history.

When will your man sack the traitor Cummings, I wonder? ???

You didn't answer my last question, either. :shrug: I wonder if you are really serious or just a tory troll.

You might have more currency if you stopped calling people unfitting names. That's why I put you on ignore last time.

You're better than that.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Corbynista? ???

Pull up your knickers and make me a cup of tea.

Starmer sacked Wrong Bailey today. I expected it might take longer, given the 'ooh look, sea change, what will momentum do?' but she walked into the trap. And momentum are history.

When will your man sack the traitor Cummings, I wonder? ???

You didn't answer my last question, either. :shrug: I wonder if you are really serious or just a tory troll.

You might have more currency if you stopped calling people unfitting names. That's why I put you on ignore last time.

You're better than that.

Less of the whataboutery HwT ... MoS is a self-identifying class warrior and has made zero critical comments about comrade Corbyn, unlike your good self, defending corbynista class warriors makes you look like a Labour Troll who would support anything wearing a Labour rosette from Blair to Corbyn .. are you better than that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here