Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bear /Snake Pit Now....

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
How about calling it either just simply "The Archer" or "The Bellotti"? Both were snakes.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
mate.....compared to what it used to be like it is eggshell central.......roll on the football perleeeeeze...:rolleyes:

I wonder who's these jack boots belong too then....

:lolol:

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 216

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
It certainly would be good to have an area for football and football only.
Maybe one area for football and one for anything else?
As for the bear pit, I doubt the idiots recognise their idiocy and would therefore think the bear pit is for people other
than themselves.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Personally I think that political threads should be on the main board, with football, music, local issues etc etc. There is a place for political discussion within the framework of moderating that exists. Nobody has to go in them if they don't like politics or are worried it's going to turn into a dull shouting competition.

What should be moved (or better just deleted) is the type of threads deliberately designed to provoke a reaction, like the whites one. There have been similar threads on LGBT issues a few weeks ago I remember.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
How about calling it either just simply "The Archer" or "The Bellotti"? Both were snakes.

Or indeed "The Bonfire".

Both a link to our county of Sussex and the bitter end of the Goldstone.

It brings to mind betrayal, deception and individualism by the few at the expense of the many.

A perfect place for those that only seek to politicize, antagonize and troll.

Build a bonfire, Bozza.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Personally I think that political threads should be on the main board, with football, music, local issues etc etc. There is a place for political discussion within the framework of moderating that exists. Nobody has to go in them if they don't like politics or are worried it's going to turn into a dull shouting competition.

What should be moved (or better just deleted) is the type of threads deliberately designed to provoke a reaction, like the whites one. There have been similar threads on LGBT issues a few weeks ago I remember.

Won’t work if it’s subjective as too labour intensive for the mods. When you open NSC and the first 8 threads are about political and social issues you know a football forum has a problem.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bozza mooted the idea of starting a bear pit, where all the political threads can be banished from the main board.

with the looming resumption of the Premier League, surely now is time, to get rid of these lame threads....

It is thoroughly depressing...

Please Bozza, although I would change one thing possibly the name, I think The Snake pit would be more apt, with all the low level scoundrels about that love stooping to new lows....

What say everyone else...

I didn't moot it, more stating what I was going to do. I've just not got round to doing it yet. I should get time today.

It's a difficult one, as then you start to get into the likes of, say, 'should all music threads have their own area' too.

Additionally, the problem is often that threads supposedly about other things descend into politics instead. So then where do we put that thread, if it started off being about, say, favourite walks in Sussex? Would we need to move anything the moment it "gets a bit political", which opens the board up to all kinds of confusion (and potential manipulation).

But on balance, maybe now is a good moment to ringfence the political ones, and let the board get back to primarily being about football. I think most of us would welcome the refocus. So I'm a yes.

Every time the question has been asked, the response has overwhelmingly been in favour of NSC's single-board approach, and I'm going to retain that for the time being.

There are many threads which are very obvious from the outset where the same two groups of people will sling mud at each other and never convince anyone to change their mind. Those are the threads that will be moved away from the main board.

In that case can we have a seperate area for all the poxy music threads then please?

Nope, as above.

It certainly would be good to have an area for football and football only.
Maybe one area for football and one for anything else?
As for the bear pit, I doubt the idiots recognise their idiocy and would therefore think the bear pit is for people other
than themselves.

Nope, as above * 2. However, you can use the thread prefix functionality to filter threads you want to see. This does partially rely on people selecting the correct prefix, and I do check periodically and correct obviously incorrect ones.

Screenshot 2020-06-16 at 11.47.29.png

I would love it if it were possible to have sensible grown-up political discussions on here, but I'm struggling to think that I'm not being overly optimistic based on what we see day in, day out.

Maybe once the Bear Pit is operational we can try again, and just act very harshly on those who seek to derail those threads, by immediately blocking their access to them in the first instance.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The "Main Page" should just be footie IMHO. Politics, arse wiping and best sandwich should be as far away as possible.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
How about calling it 'The Other Stuff' ... :shrug:
People cry and winge when their threads are moved there.

Which I also expect with the poison locker.

This is a brilliant move by the way.

Fixing NSC when online society elsewhere is a complete mess.

Last edited:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
People cry and winge when their threads are moved there.

Which I also expect with the poison locker.

If all political/binfest threads get moved there then I expect most people wouldn't complain as much. It already exists, takes up room on the main page and doesn't get much traffic, change the name if people want obvs.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Leave it as it is. The recent problem has been the absence of football and a lot of crap has filled the void but if you go down the route of separate sections for separate subjects it will get ridiculous. We have the prefix, if you don't like politics don't open the thread! Exactly how hard is that.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Leave it as it is. The recent problem has been the absence of football and a lot of crap has filled the void but if you go down the route of separate sections for separate subjects it will get ridiculous. We have the prefix, if you don't like politics don't open the thread! Exactly how hard is that.
Tapatalk doesn't allow the prefix filtering, and also always shows the contents of the last post in a thread, even if the user is ignored.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Tapatalk doesn't allow the prefix filtering, and also always shows the contents of the last post in a thread, even if the user is ignored.

Fair enough but you can still tell what a thread is about so if you don't like politics then people shouldn't open them.

I still think that a lot of these political thread will disappear once the the footie gets going.

Maybe for the trolls the mods should be issuing more bans.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
One of the best things about this site is that the big board has threads on many varied subjects rather than being split over several sub forums and separating them off devalues the site imo.

It's easy for people to skip past threads that don't interest them (like politics should they wish) but having them separately means that worthwhile threads may get lost in the sub forum and not get the attention it may deserve as it will be easy to miss

I've barely ventured onto the covid sub forum, not because i have chosen to avoid it, but rather that my shortcut goes straight to the big board and i don't think that i need to go back out of it to find the covid threads, meaning i have missed a lot of things that have been posted on there

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
A Bear/Snake pit does pose the question, who would win?

Obviously the venomous snakes would have to be binned but I would pay good money to watch a grizzly take on a boa constrictor.

Now where is the WHC when you really need it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here