Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gus Poyet Interview

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Often talked about, but has seemingly been erased from the clubs history for the most part by the Albion. Given his exit and the controversy that surrounds it I was always surprised nobody got in touch with him. Well we did. Tomorrow I'll be dropping the latest episode of Together: A Brighton & Hove Albion podcast and it is a 2 hour marathon interview with ex Albion manager Gus Poyet, on his time at the club, the good, the bad and the ugly. Very few punches pulled, lots of questions you want asking as a fan were asked. I'll drop it in here tomorrow.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Looking forward to that, still a lot of questions...

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
How interesting it will be will depend on how much you believe what comes out of his mouth. Personally after the story he span about being sacked on live TV and the ceiling nonsense I would be applying a huge pinch of salt to his version of events.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
How interesting it will be will depend on how much you believe what comes out of his mouth. Personally after the story he span about being sacked on live TV and the ceiling nonsense I would be applying a huge pinch of salt to his version of events.

I was thinking the same. Although we played some of the best football I've seen under him I wouldn't trust his version of events too much.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Eees complicated

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It's always been a shame that the relationship between Gus and the club soured to the extent it did as it tarnishes what was a great period for us. We should be thankful for that League One winning season, when as the song goes, we were ****ing brilliant. On the whole he delievered a couple of decent seasons when we first moved to the Amex, surely no one expected us to get to the playoffs that quickly (I know the team didn't as they forgot to turn up), and we were no where ready for the Premier League at that time either. Sure the team had its faults, as did Gus but I thoroughly enjoyed those 3 and a bit seasons he was in-charge of us.

I'll be listening but will take everything Gus says with a massive touch of salt. Ultimately I don't think Gus is quite as good as he thinks he is as a manager and that is hard for him to admit, but eees complicated no?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This could be really interesting. Or it could be two hours of Gus promoting himself and blaming everyone else. Worth tuning in to find out.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It will be the usual self-promotion, lost faith in Gus every time Leeds, Spurs or whoever bigger than us club sacked their manager he was always the first to say "one day I would like to manage them", totally disrespectful to his current employer.

He did, however, deliver one stunningly amazing season never to be forgotten.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I wonder if he’ll admit that Oatway was the brains behind the success

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The man that IMO deliberately tried not to win the Play offs against them up the road I won’t be entertaining anymore of his bollocks. Me me me that’s all you will ever get.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Should be thought of as an Albion hero but ended his stay with lies and arrogance and that ceiling shyt. Turned out he was the one well under that so called ceiling.
Bollocks to him and his feckin ego. I will listen to every bit though just to laugh at what will surely be another Gus Bus ego trip.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This could go one of two ways.

Will Poyet intimate that PB was to blame for Muzza’s departure, he still doesn’t know why he was dismissed, that he gave 100% and didn’t talk to other clubs whilst in our employ and that he didn’t whinge that TB should pump in yet more money for transfers?

Or with the passage has time he’s matured, admitting his errors, wishes that he’d stayed.

I’ve love to hear a refreshingly new Poyet with that ego parked.

But I’ll always cherish that wonderful 18 months League One period under Poyet, we were sublime. Runaway champions with just the sixth largest budget I believe. Amazing football with wave after wave of attacks from Calderon, Bennett, Barnes, Muzza and Noone, the excellent Crofts in 2009/10.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
This could go one of two ways.

Will Poyet intimate that PB was to blame for Muzza’s departure, he still doesn’t know why he was dismissed, that he gave 100% and didn’t talk to other clubs whilst in our employ and that he didn’t whinge that TB should pump in yet more money for transfers?

Or with the passage has time he’s matured, admitting his errors, wishes that he’d stayed.

I’ve love to hear a refreshingly new Poyet with that ego parked.

But I’ll always cherish that wonderful 18 months League One period under Poyet, we were sublime. Runaway champions with just the sixth largest budget I believe. Amazing football with wave after wave of attacks from Calderon, Bennett, Barnes, Muzza and Noone, the excellent Crofts in 2009/10.
TB has publicly said he was on his way to Reading until the deal collapsed. Of all places Reading Bloom should of gone with his gut and parted ways then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here