Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton led the way with virtual Press Conferences

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Reference on BBC Sport to Albion leading the way with Press Conferences by Zoom that all clubs will be doing now.

Only strange thing was the comment about our meetings feeling overly lengthy.

"All four managers are doing press conferences - Dean Smith and Chris Wilder are holding theirs imminently - but they will be 'virtual', as Brighton have been doing throughout the pandemic. I have been on a few of those - they were really well received by journalists, but they were time consuming."

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I have been on a few of those - they were really well received by journalists, but they were time consuming."[/I]

This has been alluded to in the emails the club send out ahead of each virtual presser, which now includes:

"Please can we be conscious of time etc and try and allow everyone to ask at least one question, and then if time allows we will take follow ups on any uncovered topics."

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Time consuming ? Football journalists stealing a living the last few months. Lucky to have something to get involved with...

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Very happy to have virtual press conferences, also very happy to slag off the Albion at every opportunity as the evil ones being self-interested.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Is it any more time consuming then driving to a training ground, parking up, getting in there and set up, recorder etc. Then editing the piece after etc?

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
Paul Barber loves a press conference, I can't imagine anyone who loves one as much as he does, the opportunity to talk is one he will never miss out on.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Did they ask Paul Barber a question?

Here's a photo of Andy Naylor listening to the answer

19gd3y.jpg

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Well at least we are good at something, that’s got to be worth at least a 5 point league table bonus surely?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The majority of 'football journalists' are, in fact, freelance.

No-one who is working freelance in any job, myself included, is stealing anything, thanks.

Really ? Surely a Zoom press conference is saving freelancers time and money and presumably those writing are getting paid for their work?

Journalists are lucky they’ve been able to continue working and have facility to do so in a safe environment. So anyone moaning about them being a ‘bit long’ gets no sympathy from me

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Really ? Surely a Zoom press conference is saving freelancers time and money and presumably those writing are getting paid for their work?

Journalists are lucky they’ve been able to continue working and have facility to do so in a safe environment. So anyone moaning about them being a ‘bit long’ gets no sympathy from me

You said football journalists have been 'stealing a living'. That implies earning money for doing nothing.

The writers in question will only get paid if they have been asked to write a piece by a given publication - whether print or online. In-house writers will, of course, continue to get paid as they are on contract. If you think those contracted football writers of, say, the national dailies have been stealing a living, let us know how...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You said football journalists have been 'stealing a living'. That implies earning money for doing nothing.

The writers in question will only get paid if they have been asked to write a piece by a given publication - whether print or online. In-house writers will, of course, continue to get paid as they are on contract. If you think those contracted football writers of, say, the national dailies have been stealing a living, let us know how...

Ok let me correct that. Journalists are on the whole lucky that lockdown has made their lives and jobs easier than they were before.

Less travelling, arguably better access to clubs for content and only focusing on a small number of topics.

Given the high rates of unemployment and people literally unable to work because of the restrictions I’ll not feel too bad for a journalist who though zoom conference calls were ‘a bit too long’

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Ok let me correct that. Journalists are on the whole lucky that lockdown has made their lives and jobs easier than they were before.

Less travelling, arguably better access to clubs for content and only focusing on a small number of topics.

AND NOT GETTING PAID.

Given the high rates of unemployment and people literally unable to work because of the restrictions I’ll not feel too bad for a journalist who though zoom conference calls were ‘a bit too long’

The only reason any would consider them a 'bit long' is because they too have to work to a deadline. Aside from that, no-one is really complaining.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here