Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] James and Marcus Tavernier

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Allegedly we're after both of them in the Summer, irrespective of what division we're in.

James is the captain of Rangers and is a right back, Marcus is a left winger at Middlesbrough.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Always liked the look of James Tavernier - he pings across delicious first time crosses from that very spot on the pitch where all our existing players, full backs and wingers alike, feel compelled to stop, turn round, and pass it back or sideways. I mentioned him in a discussion thread on here a year or two back, but of course it was met with derision by some of NSC's finest - 'he only plays for Rangers', 'Monkey tennis' and all that.
I'm confused why he's being mentioned now though - haven't we just bought young Lamptey, who's supposed to be the bees knees and world class and all that?
Haven't heard of Marcus, but if he can ping across centres like his brother, he'd be likely to be an upgrade on Knocky, Izzy, Solly, etc.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm confused why he's being mentioned now though - haven't we just bought young Lamptey, who's supposed to be the bees knees and world class and all that?

Perhaps others are being moved on - either permanently or for Lamptey, a loan spell? I am however hopeful from what I've seen of him that Lamptey may stake a claim for a starting spot.

I also love the idea of our full backs being Burn and Lamptey - surely the biggest height difference in a full back pairing ever?!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Always liked the look of James Tavernier - he pings across delicious first time crosses from that very spot on the pitch where all our existing players, full backs and wingers alike, feel compelled to stop, turn round, and pass it back or sideways. I mentioned him in a discussion thread on here a year or two back, but of course it was met with derision by some of NSC's finest - 'he only plays for Rangers', 'Monkey tennis' and all that.
Haven't heard of Marcus, but if he can ping across centres like his brother, he'd be likely to be an upgrade on Knocky, Izzy, Solly, etc.

I signed him on Football Manager a few iterations ago. He spent ten years at the club, captain for 8 of them.

I've never really seen him play in real life but I'd love to get him in, purely based on Football Manager.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Given how we've had to rely on Alzate filling in at RB at times (not making the best use of him) that would seem an obvious squad gap we have to fill.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Perhaps Montoya has a move away lined up ?

And Schelotto's future is uncertain, although he wants to stay.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I signed him on Football Manager a few iterations ago. He spent ten years at the club, captain for 8 of them.

I've never really seen him play in real life but I'd love to get him in, purely based on Football Manager.

Without wanting to burst the bubble, I managed to get 34 goals in a season from Turienzo back in an earlier version of FM :lolol:

To be fair, I wouldn't turn James T down, he's consistent, can cross a ball and is handy from the spot too. Don't know much about Marcus to know if he's worth it or not.

As has been mentioned, I don't know what this means for Lamptey, whether he goes out on loan, or maybe whether both are going to replace Montoya?

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
I think James would be found out defensively at the top level that he doesn't for Rangers, very much like Alan Hutton who looked a top, top player in the SPL did.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Perhaps Montoya has a move away lined up ?

And Schelotto's future is uncertain, although he wants to stay.

I can see neither Montoya or Schelotto being at the club next season. I don't think Potter is completely sold on either of them. Tavernier and Lamptey competing for a spot is plausible.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
In terms of another winger. I'm not so sure. I think there would have to be quite a few leaving for us to look to sign another in these positions.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Marcus is a left winger at Middlesbrough.

This is exactly the sort of player Potter would be looking at.

He broke into Boro’s very poor Championship team this season, but it seems that he’s able to play any midfield role.

Played as...
Left Midfield 8
Central Midfield7
Left Winger 4
Attacking Midfield4
Second Striker 3
Right Midfield 3
Defensive Midfield2
Right Winger 1

For what it’s worth, we’ve got the very impressive and versatile Alzate so I’m not sure where he’d fit in.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is exactly the sort of player Potter would be looking at.

He broke into Boro’s very poor Championship team this season, but it seems that he’s able to play any midfield role.

Played as...
Left Midfield 8
Central Midfield7
Left Winger 4
Attacking Midfield4
Second Striker 3
Right Midfield 3
Defensive Midfield2
Right Winger 1

For what it’s worth, we’ve got the very impressive and versatile Alzate so I’m not sure where he’d fit in.

A utility man in the Championship does not float my boat. Like so many all-rounders in county cricket who can bat and bowl a bit, they get exposed for being able to do neither well enough at the top level.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I also love the idea of our full backs being Burn and Lamptey - surely the biggest height difference in a full back pairing ever?!

I said it at the time of signing and have no problem in saying it again:-

I need that in my Albion life.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
James and /marcus /tavernier

Allegedly we're after both of them in the Summer, irrespective of what division we're in.

James is the captain of Rangers and is a right back, Marcus is a left winger at Middlesbrough.

Think we've been linked with James Tavernier ad infinatum !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here