Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] British Police

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Do we have a problem with the softly softly approach the Police are taking at the moment. Notwithstanding the current climate with regard to BLM and a bunch of morons our for a fight against anyone yesterday, is the approach building up problems for the future.

For example, irrespective of the rights or wrongs of the statue of Colston being there in the first place, should the Police have intervened because now it seems it's open season everywhere.

Another example are the raves in Manchester last night which went on until the early hours. Clearly breaching social distancing and the number gathering, the Police seem to take the view it was better to sit back rather than stop it in it's tracks (pun intended). Had they done that there may not have been 3 stabbings, one rape and someone dying from what was believed to be drug overdose. There have been reports of street parties where the Police have turned up in London. I'm sure I read about one where they turned up at 9:30 and eventually dispersed the party at 1:30!! Well that goes down as a success.

Is it weakness at the top of the organisation or are their hands being politically tied?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
First maybe I should mention that I neither like police officers in general as they are often the worst kind of human beings (along with journalists and politicians), and I dont like police as a concept.

But if I ignore those thoughts for a minute and just think of the current situation: if they are not very very soft right now, if they make a tiny misstep, you are in deep deep trouble.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
We as a country don’t have the capacity to be zero tolerance. There are 125k ish police officers in this country. Simply not enough to manage the large scale disorder which would likely follow with an OTT response

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
We don’t have a lot of crime in my area, but there is frequent anti-social behaviour by juveniles. Catapulting pigeons, squirrels and people’s windows. Starting fires in woodland and other petty vandalism. The trouble is that they know the police will do nothing as they’re underage , so progress to adulthood with no respect for the police. In a recent questions and answers our MP Michael Gove, when questioned on the issue, said it’s the responsibility of the parents to control their children, not the police.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
First maybe I should mention that I neither like police officers in general as they are often the worst kind of human beings (along with journalists and politicians), and I dont like police as a concept.

But if I ignore those thoughts for a minute and just think of the current situation: if they are not very very soft right now, if they make a tiny misstep, you are in deep deep trouble.

I take a different view in that we need Police but they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. As for the concept, what do you see as an alternative to maintaining law and order?

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009

Thank you very much. As a career police officer of 30 years who always did his best to serve the community, I am surprised to know that's what you think of me as we've never met but I guess you must have met most of the 100,000 or so other officers in the country in order to be able to come to such a view! All the best to you too.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Whether you're on a :fishing: trip Swanny.
I have to disagree with your comments on the old bill'.
They're damned if they do and damned if they don't.
As my old man was an ex copper, I'm biased to support them, as he put himself on the line everyday he was on duty, whether at Newhaven or LGW ???

Last edited:

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
.....and I dont like police as a concept.

So if someone came round your house, held a gun to your face, raped your other half or family members, then stole everything you had of any value.. you'd call who, exactly. The Samaritans?

We exist in a country which has some social stability because we have a Police Force who uphold the law. If you don't like it, toddle off to Venezuela where your dreams can come true :shrug:

*Failing that, if self-protection is your thing, Texas.. where you can lock yourself in a house with boarded up windows and sit in a chair 24-7 with a shotgun on your lap...

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Law should have been stamped down after the first protest went nasty, Sadiq khan and others sympathised with it and so that escalated into vandalism of statues and more violence by people who saw this and knew there were no repercussions, which then caused a group of EDL goons to go and ‘protect’ these monuments because there’s no faith in the police to do it. I don’t blame the police per say more the powers in charge.

All of this during a global pandemic, 2020. What a pile of shit, all we need now is to get relegated to top it off.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wow.

I'm mean ffs do we have to have that codswallop on here?

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes

After 16 years on NSC this is the first time I've ever used this emoji :tosser: ..... My son is a police officer btw

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thank you very much. As a career police officer of 30 years who always did his best to serve the community, I am surprised to know that's what you think of me as we've never met but I guess you must have met most of the 100,000 or so other officers in the country in order to be able to come to such a view! All the best to you too.

He's not even from the (not) United Kingdom.

I appreciate the job you do in, at the best of times, extremely difficult circumstances.

I'll hazard a guess this thread will back that up while dismissing the odd moron.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Do we have a problem with the softly softly approach the Police are taking at the moment. Notwithstanding the current climate with regard to BLM and a bunch of morons our for a fight against anyone yesterday, is the approach building up problems for the future.

For example, irrespective of the rights or wrongs of the statue of Colston being there in the first place, should the Police have intervened because now it seems it's open season everywhere.

Another example are the raves in Manchester last night which went on until the early hours. Clearly breaching social distancing and the number gathering, the Police seem to take the view it was better to sit back rather than stop it in it's tracks (pun intended). Had they done that there may not have been 3 stabbings, one rape and someone dying from what was believed to be drug overdose. There have been reports of street parties where the Police have turned up in London. I'm sure I read about one where they turned up at 9:30 and eventually dispersed the party at 1:30!! Well that goes down as a success.

Is it weakness at the top of the organisation or are their hands being politically tied?
I don't know about politically tied - maybe it's more like politically-correctly tied. They are worried (with good cause) about litigation, being called out as fascist, racist, etc. Take examples like this, for example - no wonder they must sometimes feel their budget just doesn't run to taking action.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-53041256

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes

:bowdown:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Of course we could do with more walking streets but have great admiration for there control and discipline when dealing with scum. Dont think our style of media helps. Would only need officer seen pushing someone and next day headlines would be "Our police thugs "

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
I suspect that they simply haven’t enough numbers at any one time to police large events. Government cuts come at a cost, and less police on the streets is one of them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

Unbelievable statement

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think mostly the police get it right, as stated the fact that they don't routinely carry guns is a good thing as if things get badly out of hand having guns around is a very bad thing. Yes, they may have been a bit soft but cracking heads doesn't tend to work too well either, they have to find a way to police by consent and defuse situations rather than ramp up aggression by wading in. Overall I'm glad we have the police service that we have, not perfect but not cyclepaths like those nutters in the US.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Unbelievable statement

You've got to think the users of Vetch Stand Chat have no idea about Trump/Johnson, Covid & BLM.

They're probably still celebrating off loading that nimrod onto us.

Deal of the century.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't know about politically tied - maybe it's more like politically-correctly tied. They are worried (with good cause) about litigation, being called out as fascist, racist, etc. Take examples like this, for example - no wonder they must sometimes feel their budget just doesn't run to taking action.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-53041256

I look back at the incident in the Peak district where they used drones and were heavily criticised by the press and politicians and since then they have reigned it in with the consequence those that choose to have virtually ignored all the temporary restrictions!

From my point of view, I've never had a problem with the Police. I've had several members of my family serving as officers, including one as firearms officer in the met. I'm sure if Swansman was confronted with a machete wielding terrorist he'd be more than happy for their involvement. We are of course still waiting for what his alternative concept is!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here