Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Cardinal - dark Canadian detective series

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am very late to this but am now obsessed and am binge watching. It is very dark and there is way too much snow for my liking in a couple of the series but it is done very differently to most detective programmes. Some really grim scenes, which I normally avoid but am managing to watch through :smile:

Any other NSCers seen it?

Thoughts? The ends are a bit disappointing in all honesty but the build up is very watchable imo. Some great scenery too, snow not withstanding!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I am very late to this but am now obsessed and am binge watching. It is very dark and there is way too much snow for my liking in a couple of the series but it is done very differently to most detective programmes. Some really grim scenes, which I normally avoid but am managing to watch through :smile:

Any other NSCers seen it?

Thoughts? The ends are a bit disappointing in all honesty but the build up is very watchable imo. Some great scenery too, snow not withstanding!

Yes watched a while back, very good series.
The lead female detective was in C4 Revenge

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
BBC 4 is always ahead of the game on a saturday night at 9 pm. if you really want to raise the bar with acting and seens that even made me feel uncomfortable(and it takes a lot) then look up and watch DEPARTMENT Q. Top draw Danish cold case drama.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Discovered this two days ago... binge watched seasons 1 and 2 (saw the wife dying a mile off!) and starting three in about... five minutes. Wonderful tv.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I’ve watched all the Cardinal series over the years, until now a BBC4 Saturday night stalwart.

Love it, love the snowy scenery and atmosphere, quality acting. Karine Vanasse (Lise) and Billy Campbell form a great team.

Aye some of the best tv made is put in that slot....I guess we go back to the knitted jumper lady first of all

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Aye some of the best tv made is put in that slot....I guess we go back to the knitted jumper lady first of all

It started with Wallender for me (all three versions, including the Kenneth Brannagh version ... quality), great days, Spiral is also amazing. The one I never watched was Borgen ... I must’ve been busy. Need to buy the dvd boxset.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It started with Wallender for me (all three versions, including the Kenneth Brannagh version ... quality), great days, Spiral is also amazing. The one I never watched was Borgen ... I must’ve been busy. Need to buy the dvd boxset.

Oh....seen those and Borgen and many more....sad that I am...only one I havnt got on with is the one on currently

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Some weird shit going on here... are you all eating Scandinavian tv series?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Oh....seen those and Borgen and many more....sad that I am...only one I havnt got on with is the one on currently

I like the normal (older) Montalbano. Light hearted, comic in places, nice scenery/climate/Med ... the storylines are deliberately not complex.

I was disappointed by the Norwegian, ‘Twins’. Very predictable ending, it took loads of episodes to get to that.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You knew of course that we Brits love Nordic/Scandi Noir. Wallender, Beck, The Bridge, The Killing etc.

Not really. I knew "The Bridge" got pretty big and I know I heard about the British version of Wallander but I thought it was sort of a under-the-radar thing but the popularity of them kind of has gone over my head.. perhaps because I dont watch a lot of detective series etc myself.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not really. I knew "The Bridge" got pretty big and I know I heard about the British version of Wallander but I thought it was sort of a under-the-radar thing but the popularity of them kind of has gone over my head.. perhaps because I dont watch a lot of detective series etc myself.

The BBC have been the cause. For the last 15 years or so on BBC4 at 9pm on a Saturday evening, showing overseas detective and political dramas with subtitles as we’re notoriously lazy on languages. The audiences for all sorts of Swedish, Danish and the odd Norwegian dramas grew and grew.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The BBC have been the cause. For the last 15 years or so on BBC4 at 9pm on a Saturday evening, showing overseas detective and political dramas with subtitles as we’re notoriously lazy on languages. The audiences for all sorts of Swedish, Danish and the odd Norwegian dramas grew and grew.

Cool. And I dont think its "lazy"... it would be pretty weird and impossible if they demanded that you learn Swedish just to watch some tv show.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Cool. And I dont think its "lazy"... it would be pretty weird and impossible if they demanded that you learn Swedish just to watch some tv show.

I meant in general, possibly because English is spoken across the world?

Our Swedish mates (Lidkoping and Stockholm) speak and understand English really well, they watch English TV programmes such as Midsomer Murders on Swedish TV with no subtitles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here