Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Stage Mannerisms of Musical Artists You Could do Without.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I'm sure you've all watched stage/video performances of bands or solo artists, but rather than being totally focused on their music your attention is diverted away by a certain mannerism of one of the performers which you find slightly jarring and undermines the whole performance. It might be the way they move or the way they hold their musical instrument or something as insignificant as a facial mannerism.

It's easy to tolerate if it's from a musical performer who you don't particularly like because you can just take the piss, but sometimes it's from an artist whose musical artistry you really admire and love, and you have to watch their performance with that nagging and slightly guilty thought jabbing at the back of your mind as you think "I wish he didn't do that thing with his legs" or "why does he hold his microphone like that".

I imagine many a musical performance has been utterly ruined by such thoughts or maybe it's just me...

I thought Susanna Hoffs of The Bangles was pretty damn hot but that coy little sideways glance she used to affect used to really put me off my stroke.

giphy.gif

View attachment LikableAssuredAfricanrockpython-mobile.mp4

View attachment images.mp4

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Fret wa#k / vinegar stroke face, not you, just an observation.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I'm sure you've all watched stage/video performances of bands or solo artists, but rather than being totally focused on their music your attention is diverted away by a certain mannerism of one of the performers which you find slightly jarring and undermines the whole performance. It might be the way they move or the way they hold their musical instrument or something as insignificant as a facial mannerism.

It's easy to tolerate if it's from a musical performer who you don't particularly like because you can just take the piss, but sometimes it's from an artist whose musical artistry you really admire and love, and you have to watch their performance with that nagging and slightly guilty thought jabbing at the back of your mind as you think "I wish he didn't do that thing with his legs" or "why does he hold his microphone like that".

I imagine many a musical performance has been utterly ruined by such thoughts or maybe it's just me...

I thought Susanna Hoffs of The Bangles was pretty damn hot but that coy little sideways glance she used to affect used to really put me off my stroke.

View attachment 124832

View attachment 124833

View attachment 124834

My sister is a Professional Artist and singer and she has always said to me that it is impossible to give your best vocal performance and dance at the same time. Simply because it affects your breathing and concentration of control to your breathing during a song.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
In the land of Iron Maiden fans the stage antics of guitarist Janick Gers strongly split opinions. Personally I don't have a problem and this clip of the song ' Dance of Death ' the excerpt really does lend itself to an Irish jig. A lot of the hate for his dance also seems to ink to older fans bizarrely still considering him as the ' new boy ' mate of Bruce Dickinson who got lucky when he was asked to join the band. And all the musos denounce his guitar skills as sloppy.

However, for me I think he brings a great energy that actually encouraged one of the other guitarists Dave Murray to move around a bit more rather than be bookended stage right and left with Adrian Smith. He also got them through the late 90's when Smith and Dickinson left and Maiden's popularity hit a slump due to the rise of grunge. I also think his guitar style works well with the very different styles of Smith and Murray.

Ultimately, Janick can keep dancing for me!

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
I never noticed until someone on here pointed it out, Simster I think, but David Gray's head wobble now really annoys me.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I had no love of Level 42 but the worst thing was always the way the Bass player had the guitar right up his armpit when he played.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I had no love of Level 42 but the worst thing was always the way the Bass player had the guitar right up his armpit when he played.

That's forgivable on a number of levels ( not quite 42 though) that relate to his bass style and instruments of choice. To be able to play his trademark pop and slap style his right arm is in the best position for control. The position only looks a little high when he plays the more usual finger style. It also has much to do with the quite large design of his favoured JD, Status and Alembic bass guitars

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That's forgivable on a number of levels ( not quite 42 though) that relate to his bass style and instruments of choice. To be able to play his trademark pop and slap style his right arm is in the best position for control. The position only looks a little high when he plays the more usual finger style. It also has much to do with the quite large design of his favoured JD, Status and Alembic bass guitars

Oh ? I just thought he looked like a ****.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Lewis Cappoldi's voice.

I've seen the Waterboys a couple of times, Mike Scott is very theatrical in his stage presence, I didn't like it at first, I'm rather find of it now.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I always used to be slightly troubled by the way Tony Hadley held his microphone between his thumb and the tips of his fingers instead of gripping it in his fist.
52dee3747d4758675c151ff2e93ecb3d.jpg

gettyimages-97042913-612x612.jpg

Thinking about it I think Englebert Humperdink might have held it in a similar fashion....
EDIT: No, my mistake. Just checked. Humperdink's a gripper

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here