Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Shops re-open on Monday - are you up for it?

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Are people desperate to get out and have a wander round Churchill Square and splash the cash?

Or are people put off by the social distancing restrictions?

Or have people realised there is more to life than spending their hard earned money on stuff they don’t need?!

Some details on the social distancing measures here-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53005123

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I'll steer clear of shops. I'll see if relaxing the restrictions starts a second wave before I think about putting myself at risk of being collateral damage to kick start the economy. I don't have any health issues and I'd like to keep it that way.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Is the Albion shop open ?

I need to get a replica shirt printed and buy a half/half scarf.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Who is really that desperate to go out and buy something that can be bought online while at the same time risk catching or passing on a lethal virus to a loved one?
Seriously?

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Churchill Square and all indoor shopping precincts are screwed, how can you possibly have people queuing outside adjoining stores waiting their turn to go in and maintain any sort of distancing, plus people walking past. Only by opening some shops on alternate dates of the week could it be done surely.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Probably avoid it for a few months (partly though due to looking after a vulnerable person in my disabled father so would try to reduce my risk of catching anything). Many friends saying they're likely to do the same but for differing reasons - for most is that they just don't have much cash to spend having been furloughed or in some cases not having a job to go back to.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I won’t be venturing into any town centre for a few weeks yet, especially at weekends. Nothing to do with social distancing, that’s over, more to do with that fact it’s going to be chaos. Roads have been closed due to people going for McDonalds.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Certainly won't be rushing out for the sake of it.

We do have a building project just started, though, so will have lots of choices to make over the next two or three months - flooring, lighting, kitchen, tiles, decor. It's not the same trying to do it over the internet.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'm sure the MetroCentre up here will be rammed, but I won't be going anywhere near it for a while at least.

I'll steer clear of shops. I'll see if relaxing the restrictions starts a second wave before I think about putting myself at risk of being collateral damage to kick start the economy. I don't have any health issues and I'd like to keep it that way.

This sums up exactly why.

Stumpy Tim

I went to the Westdene butchers yesterday, and liked their setup (and the deli next door). They have both placed a bench across the front door so you can't go in, but the produce is all viewable and everyone queues outside. Obviously easier for smaller independent stores, especially during the week, but it worked well and they both seemed to be doing good trade

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I'm sure the MetroCentre up here will be rammed, but I won't be going anywhere near it for a while at least.

Wife and I were only talking about the Metro yesterday, how on earth will they manage that place, it is huge and gets rammed at times. One way systems and social distancing will be a challenge!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I must admit with the calls to reduce the social distance stuff to 1 metre, you might as well say "just don't touch people."

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Wife and I were only talking about the Metro yesterday, how on earth will they manage that place, it is huge and gets rammed at times. One way systems and social distancing will be a challenge!
Yep, trying to maintain any kind of system in there would be an absolute nightmare, and not one I want be anywhere near at this stage!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
May go towards the end of next week as down to only one book left to read

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I went to the Westdene butchers yesterday, and liked their setup (and the deli next door). They have both placed a bench across the front door so you can't go in, but the produce is all viewable and everyone queues outside. Obviously easier for smaller independent stores, especially during the week, but it worked well and they both seemed to be doing good trade

Until it is raining.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Quaff do that.

Hopefully one of the big societal changes out of all this will be a return to using your local quality shop. I've used Quaff and the Foghorn for my booze needs, Mrs has driven to Macs Farm for eggs and all our meat has come from the butchers.

As for Churchill Square I can get any of the high street tat they knock out in there on line if I'm desperate for it. I'd much rather use my additional freedom to be outside while it's summer.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here