Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Building a Stommel Haus in Sussex - advice sought

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
An English mate of mine, based in France, who has just retired wants to relocate somewhere between Brighton and Portsmouth, inland rather than on the coast.

He's asked me if I can recommend a 'community' (he enjoys gardening, and cycling with the missus....they are in their early 60s) where he might build a flat pack house (as per thread title).

He requires land up to about a third of an acre (with or without something on it to demolish, such as a barn or delapidated house),

Budget for the land, up to £K500 .

Thought I'd run it past the hive mind for location suggestions (names of charming and appropriate small towns or villages) and, no doubt, a cornucopia of ribald ****wittery. I thank you.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I guess the answer is in the Best Town/Village thread.

Naturally I know nothing about it but I can't help thinking land, planning etc is going to be an expensive ballache.

Away from Sussex and for no other reason than it always looks nice I'd add The Meon Valley and most points in a 10 mile radius as worth a look.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I guess the answer is in the Best Town/Village thread.

Naturally I know nothing about it but I can't help thinking land, planning etc is going to be an expensive ballache.

Away from Sussex and for no other reason than it always looks nice I'd add The Meon Valley and most points in a 10 mile radius as worth a look.

What about your back garden ...ive seen some of it on the gardening thread....massive,,,note keen cyclists

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Lewes prison courtyard.

Community: tick.
Cycling: tick (static bikes - multiple to choose from).
Societies: tick.
Land: tick.
Ready supply of security staff: tick.
For sale: not so sure.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
For that sort of money he could buy a ready built stunning house in France. I note he lives in France and wants fo retire to England, so many do it the other way around!

Sorry I have no helpful advice though

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
So many nice villages in West Sussex. I used to do work in Winchester and occasionally in the summer if we weren't busy I'd take a leisurely drive back along the A272, everything is very beautiful. Personally I'd go close to Chichester or Arundel, but then you've got Petworth and Midhurst to the North, can't argue with Steyning either.

He'll be bound by what's available. I'd draw that area in a search on RightMove and see what comes up and maybe spend a day calling agents.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
An English mate of mine, based in France, who has just retired wants to relocate somewhere between Brighton and Portsmouth, inland rather than on the coast.

He's asked me if I can recommend a 'community' (he enjoys gardening, and cycling with the missus....they are in their early 60s) where he might build a flat pack house (as per thread title).

He requires land up to about a third of an acre (with or without something on it to demolish, such as a barn or delapidated house),

Budget for the land, up to £K500 .

Thought I'd run it past the hive mind for location suggestions (names of charming and appropriate small towns or villages) and, no doubt, a cornucopia of ribald ****wittery. I thank you.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/propert...ial&radius=30.0&googleAnalyticsChannel=buying

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thanks for the replies :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here