Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Is NSC a bit tiresome at the moment?

Has NSC got a bit tiresome lately?

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It has become quite aggressive in tone imo. Humour and lightheartedness is in short supply

Are YOU loving it or has it lost something in the last couple of weeks?

Yes I do know that I can feck off if I don’t like it :smile:

Apologies for the piss poor poll options

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
It has become quite aggressive in tone imo. Humour and lightheartedness is in short supply

Are YOU loving it or has it lost something in the last couple of weeks?

Yes I do know that I can feck off if I don’t like it :smile:

The latter..:lolol:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Only 8 days until we can all start moaning about Stephens, Potter's tactics, VAR..... or celebrating our first league win of 2020.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
A combination of all 3, I think.

The current situation has definitely strained everyone and I think people use this as a place to vent which doesnt always create a positive feeling (I'm guilty of this as much as other people). I think there's also a certain element of boredom too, which is why some have resorted to trolling or attention-seeking.
But there are still good conversations to be had, even on the more 'aggressive' threads there are still people discussing the subject matter on both sides and there are still some very good threads that make it worthwhile.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yes. It was unsually good and tolerant the first corona month but right now the level is lower than it was before this virus shit.

Plenty of factors causing this probably and it is sort of snowballing itself.

Either it kind of solves itself when football is back or, if not the case, maybe the mods need to be a bit harsher to prevent this from being the new norm.

Still better than all other social media though...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Too much politics, not enough about how Barnes and Stephens simply are NOT good enough.

Should get back to some sort of normal next week.

Now that is something I can get into an argument about :lolol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This is as good a place as any to mention I've come to the decision to make a change.

In short, any of the usual topics, and we all know what they are, will be moved away from the Big Board to a dedicated forum that I may well end up calling "The Bear Pit" because, frankly, the definition of Bear Pit seems to fit what happens on these threads:

a place, such as parliament or the stock market ,where there are a lot of aggressive, argumentative and competitive people​

It doesn't mean that these (tiresome to me and, I understand, many others) left v right debates are being censored in any way, but it will mean those debates can happen without boring everyone else to tears.

It also doesn't mean that the gloves are off, and abuse will be tolerated - it will not.

Some may disagree with this change, and that's fine, but it's something I am going to trial. If it works, then we'll keep the change in place. If it doesn't work, then we'll revert back to the current setup and explore other possibilities.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thanks [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION].

I don't think the hate and aggression on NSC over the recent years and months, is a reflection of the UK public generally. I know countless happy kids and adults even now, who simply don't get sucked into politics or covid19 one-upmanship on social media. The build up to general elections used to be fractious, but imho the Brexit/Remain referendum campaign was THE turning point on NSC. NSC is everyday a highly politicised parallel universe from real life and from every other football forum I've delved into.

Of course you'll be tested by people quite deliberately making sly political comments in non-Bear Pit threads.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Indeed, I look forward to the subliminal post match assessments next week.

We were much more of a threat from the dominant and controlled right, the left hand side looked disheveled and unfit.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Taking race, politics and who is running the world completely out of the equation, so as not to derail, the basic facts at the moment are:

- people are bored with many stuck at home, furloughed, redundant or part time
- people are still slightly anxious about the 'rona. Social distancing is not normal
- people are drinking more and doing it at home, with easy access to a pc or phone
- there is no ****ing football

Basically, letting off steam isn't easy now. So when the political situation is more polarised than consensus based, many let off steam on the internet out of boredom or after a couple of drinks.

I'm on 4 day weeks at the moment, so off today, but as the weather has been shite today I've mostly been on NSC. Inevitably, I've been drawn to the threads where my posts have been quoted. It's likely to be the same for many others.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
It is reflecting life. And that's all a bit shit too right now.

Life’s a highway

E9853F4B-E51C-4566-9E00-26277EA15F93.jpeg

Last edited:

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
This is as good a place as any to mention I've come to the decision to make a change.

In short, any of the usual topics, and we all know what they are, will be moved away from the Big Board to a dedicated forum that I may well end up calling "The Bear Pit" because, frankly, the definition of Bear Pit seems to fit what happens on these threads:

a place, such as parliament or the stock market ,where there are a lot of aggressive, argumentative and competitive people​

It doesn't mean that these (tiresome to me and, I understand, many others) left v right debates are being censored in any way, but it will mean those debates can happen without boring everyone else to tears.

It also doesn't mean that the gloves are off, and abuse will be tolerated - it will not.

Some may disagree with this change, and that's fine, but it's something I am going to trial. If it works, then we'll keep the change in place. If it doesn't work, then we'll revert back to the current setup and explore other possibilities.

The Brexit thread has been poison for years mate, but you did noting about it? :shrug:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

If you're going to give it a name, how about 'the Honey Badger room'
Sounds a bit more classy than bear pit and less Palarse IMO :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Brexit thread has been poison for years mate, but you did noting about it? :shrug:

That couldn't be further from the truth. Most of the moderating undertaken, both by myself, and the moderating team will be invisible to most people most of the time.

First of all, a decision was taken to put anything vaguely Brexit-y into the one thread to try and prevent the site becoming swamped with numerous very similar polarising discussions.

Secondly, action was regularly taken against users who overstepped the line of decency within that thread. As is always the case, it is only the recipient of the moderating action that knows about it.

Unfortunately, we now seem to have reached a point where those similar discussions have bled into many topics and, combined with everything else that is going on (Covid-19) and isn't going on (football), it can become a bit overwhelming for those that want something a little more light-hearted.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
That couldn't be further from the truth. Most of the moderating undertaken, both by myself, and the moderating team will be invisible to most people most of the time.

First of all, a decision was taken to put anything vaguely Brexit-y into the one thread to try and prevent the site becoming swamped with numerous very similar polarising discussions.

Secondly, action was regularly taken against users who overstepped the line of decency within that thread. As is always the case, it is only the recipient of the moderating action that knows about it.

Unfortunately, we now seem to have reached a point where those similar discussions have bled into many topics and, combined with everything else that is going on (Covid-19) and isn't going on (football), it can become a bit overwhelming for those that want something a little more light-hearted.

Fair enough, I do appreciate that it's not easy to keep some of it in check and some recent threads have been pretty bad, sign of the times sadly. :(

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
A combination of all 3, I think.

The current situation has definitely strained everyone and I think people use this as a place to vent which doesnt always create a positive feeling (I'm guilty of this as much as other people). I think there's also a certain element of boredom too, which is why some have resorted to trolling or attention-seeking.
But there are still good conversations to be had, even on the more 'aggressive' threads there are still people discussing the subject matter on both sides and there are still some very good threads that make it worthwhile.

This

Unfortunately NSC is going to reflect the current situations that have all culminated in a totally negative feeling.
The virus that brings frustration through illness, furlough, home schooling, money worries, mental health. when will it end !!
The Donald - just unbelievable a country can have such a narcissistic leader.
The BLM issue and the protests, less said about this the better as it will just end in a bloody binfest.
Brext, The government and politicians actions during the pandemic..
The list goes on at the moment. (I actually edited it because I forgot about Brexit !)

Ultimately we have a lot of people with time on their hands, or working from home so can pop on NSC without fear of the overlords seeing, over thinking things, and possibly feeling this is one of their only contacts with the outside world where they can interact with people.

So we I think have to be a little more forgiving sometimes, in these very strange and worrying times.

If I have upset anyone over the past few weeks, I would like to apologise to them, my aim like many on here is to just put my opinion across, nothing more.

Long Live NSC

Bring on next Saturday, sat in the lounge, with a nice cuppa tea watching Thee Albion....

Can't feckin wait...

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Thanks Bozza. I was thinking the same today. The Bear Pit sounds good to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here