Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How deep is your squad: Which teams could benefit most from using five subs?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This piece is FREE to read on The Athletic today >>>> https://theathletic.co.uk/1841749/

Excerpt here:

But what’s particularly interesting, when looking at the relegation strugglers, is that the imbalance at the top also applies to the bottom of the table. The sides with the stronger benches appear to be those between 15th and 17th, with those in the relegation zone looking more desperate.

Brighton are in 15th place — albeit only two points clear of the drop — and their strength in depth looks particularly impressive.

Graham Potter has been the Premier League’s most tactically unpredictable manager, using various formations and fielding a huge number of players. Taking a sample of Brighton’s most recent matches, it’s fair to assume that Neal Maupay, supported by Pascal Gross, Aaron Mooy and Leandro Trossard, is the regular attacking quartet going forward.

This doesn’t include Glenn Murray, perhaps the most trusty Plan B of all the relegation-threatened sides. There’s also Aaron Connolly, who starred with two goals in the victory over Tottenham Hotspur earlier in the season, although he’s recently had surgery on an ankle injury. Then there’s Solly March, a reliable wide midfielder, and Alireza Jahanbakhsh — whose bicycle kick against Chelsea on New Year’s Day is one the goals of the season.

For a relegation contender, that’s an excellent “replacement” front four, and there are also the likes of box-to-box player Yves Bissouma and left-sided option Bernardo, with Shane Duffy a capable centre-back reserve behind Adam Webster and Lewis Dunk.

Tactically, and in terms of personnel, Potter seems best placed to use all 16 available players.​

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Talking again about Potter on Talksport right now....and how Potter is high on the list of using most subs ..and how they think we will benefit from the extra subs rule

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9374908 said:
They've forgotten about Ali Mac

And Steven Alzate, unless they're counting him as a deep midfield player alongside Propper and Stevens - although the mention of Bissouma suggests that they've simply forgotten him.

I must say, I find The Athletic very variable in quality. For every Daniel Taylor or Stuart James, there's a non-entity plucked from journalism college like the bloke who covers Southampton and doesn't seem to know anything about them. I think they've renewed my trial subscription without charging me anything though, so I won't complain.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Lamptey could also be useful. My biggest fear, however, is an injury to Mat Ryan - although I guess that's always been our major weakness.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
We have by far the best U23s out of the bottom 6 clubs.

Albion - 3rd in PL2 Div 1
(Southampton - 2nd bottom in PL2 Div 1)

West Ham - 1st in PL2 Div 2
Villa - 7th in PL2 Div 2
Norwich - 2nd bottom in PL2 Div 2

Watford - 1st in PDL South.

Bournemouth - :shrug:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
We have by far the best U23s out of the bottom 6 clubs.

Albion - 3rd in PL2 Div 1
(Southampton - 2nd bottom in PL2 Div 1)

West Ham - 1st in PL2 Div 2
Villa - 7th in PL2 Div 2
Norwich - 2nd bottom in PL2 Div 2

Watford - 1st in PDL South.

Bournemouth - :shrug:

I'm not sure you can tell very much about the quality of players coming through an academy, from the relative position of a club's U-23 side in the respective league. Bournemouth, Crystal Palace, Watford, Burnley etc do not (currently) have Category One academies and so their academy teams do not even participate in the same competition, and yet I doubt you could find a single Crystal Palace fan who would willing exchange producing Aaron Wan Bissaka for having their U-23s top of PL2. And the youngsters most likely to break through are probably out on loan somewhere and therefore not even playing for the U-23s.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I agree that we've got a squad which is well set up for this in comparison to some others towards the bottom. It's still not going to help much though if we're 1-0 up against one of the top six and they swap half their outfield players with 10 minutes to go.

I wonder if they should have placed an age or appearance limit on 1 or 2 of those 5 subs to give the smaller clubs less of a disadvantage.

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
How deep is your squad, how deep is your squad?
I really mean to learn
'Cause we're living in a world of fools
Breaking us down when they all should let us be
We belong to you and me

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I'm not sure you can tell very much about the quality of players coming through an academy, from the relative position of a club's U-23 side in the respective league. Bournemouth, Crystal Palace, Watford, Burnley etc do not (currently) have Category One academies and so their academy teams do not even participate in the same competition, and yet I doubt you could find a single Crystal Palace fan who would willing exchange producing Aaron Wan Bissaka for having their U-23s top of PL2. And the youngsters most likely to break through are probably out on loan somewhere and therefore not even playing for the U-23s.
When the muscle injuries come, and Bournemouth are looking at their U23s to fill in, it is useful to know how their U23s have performed, though.

U23 players who have been loaned out to other clubs can't be used, so their abilities are rather 'moot' in this context.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here